CE-2 JAPAN v's KOREA

Started by jubjub, March 24, 2004, 05:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubjub

Hello people.
I'm going to get a CE-2 and do a Keeley type mod to it. My dilema is that Japanese ones are very expensive but the korean ones seem almost too cheap.
What's the difference? If I'm going to mod it anyway will it matter?
Is there better mods (could I be more subjective?) than the Keeley?

smoguzbenjamin

The Japanese ones tend to sound better. But If you're going to mod it I'd say get a korean one.... Just my $.02 cents ;)
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

petemoore

I doubt the caps or resistors are of any consequence to the reputations or rumors.
 Opamps on the other hand, these are easier to A/B with sockets in place.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Bluesgeetar

The Korean ones may sound better or not.  Very subjective.  I also would like to mention if you do your research you'll find that Korea kicks Japans ass these days in the tech sector.  The world report card shows Korea being #1 in Science and Japan #2 and it shows Japan being #1 in Math and Korea #2.  So it's a toss up.  Korea is really pulling ahead of Japan in the tech sector so let's stop the stereo types of Korea being subpar to Japan.  Koreans just have different priorities than Japanese.  They could really care less if they make a robot that can do traditional Japanese dances.  Gaming is also not a priority of Korea.  Koreans mostly care about business technology and components and main stream consumer goods outside the gaming world.  Let's also mention that some of the best guitars in the world are from Korea!  Would'nt you like to know who contracts the Samick corporation to make guitars! :wink:

smoguzbenjamin

Hmmmm. I have to be honest though, I've used both a japanese EH-2 and a Korean EH-2 and I like the japanese one (the one I use now) a lot better. I don't know why it just sounds better to my ears.
I don't like Holland. Nobody has the transistors I want.

dubs

If you want the truth about the ce-2 there is no difference in the Japan and taiwanese versions. The difference in sound is due to the trimpot in the japanese version is factory tweaked better than the taiwanese version. I and others have made the comparison and have found no difference sonically when tweaked the same.

Some other boss pedals I believe , have slightly different components b/w japanese and taiwanese version. But I think perhaps the perception than japanese boss is better than taiwanese versions is generally more hype than anything else.

Joep

jubjub

I thank you all. It's as I suspected. If I was going to get one and use it as stock, I'm afraid to say that I would get a Japanese one ONLY because they are collectable and I know I wouldn't lose any money, however, to mod as I will be replacing anything inferior anyway, the korean version will be fine.
Isn't it wierd that if SRV used an old OD-1 that it would be worth so much more now and loads of us wouldn't even know what a ts 808 is.
Slightly of message, but you know what I mean

tonepoet

I actually wrote to Keeley with the same question in mind, but it didn't matter to me if I got a Taiwan or Japan model. His reply was that they change so many things in the mod that it wouldn't make a difference what you got, after the mod, they are identical. I bought the Taiwan model but I haven't had it modded. It sounds pretty damn good the way that it is. That whole Japan/Taiwan thing is a bit overblown about a lot of things. I've got an old OD01 that was made in Japan and most of the parts are obsolete anyhow.
Check out my SOUNDCLIPS
Open 24 hours a day!

jubjub

I've just heared back from the uk division of Keeley and he said the same thing. I will get the mods done and post some sound clips and you can tell me if you hear the difference between mod or non mod

Hal

I dont think the price differance is too much...I paid $50 for a japanesse, at guitar center...my friend just picked one off e-bay for like $60.  (took a couple months, but still).  I cant imagine koreans going for much more...

I'm not sure baout the whole trimpot thing.  I hear this is true for hte differance between green and black labels, but i believe that hte japanese componenets are superior, including IC's, caps, and pots.

Dai H.

interesting, I had no idea Boss made stuff in Korea. I thought it was mostly Taiwan nowdays. I think part of the perception is more due to differences in the crappy specs of old parts in general--that is to say, I wouldn't be surprised to find differences in sound between old (25 yrs or more) MIJ and new MIJ of the same model which would probably be more due to differences in the old crappy spec opamps, etc. than country of manf. New parts in general look more consistent, probably more consistent in specs, and maybe have wider freq. response in general compared to the real old stuff. Maybe that's the half-truth in the underlying assumption. And if you look closer, some people like those TI 4558-equipped vintage Tube Screamers, and those chips are made in Malaysia. The 3403(?) quad opamp in early OD-1s, which are supposedly the chip to have for connoiseurs, those are not MIJ, so it's more complicated than MIJ simply being better. So if you look beyond the over-simplified determinant of MIJ or MIK or MITaiwan, and are able to find out more of the particulars, you might find something like the above (simple difference in trimpot adjustment), and maybe find a good deal by getting the less expensive one. Goes for a bunch of stuff too, whether it's Marshall vs. Park, Ross/MXR, or whatever.

jubjub

That's great Dai.
I have made my bid on ebay and hopefully will get my unit in a few days.
It's a made in Taiwan version. If I could post some clips pre mod and post mod would any body be intersted in having a listen?