EasyDrive Loud on Breadboard quiet on perf. Why?

Started by MattAnonymous, April 15, 2004, 08:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MattAnonymous

When I breaded the EasyDrive it was the same volume as the amp when clean, but with a nice distortion.  Now that I perfed it, it lowers the volume quite a bit.  Any ideas?  This is such a simple build that I feel stupid, but figured i'd ask anyway.
It's people like us who contribute to dead fx pedals selling on eBay for what they'd cost new!

Paul Marossy

Maybe you have something connected to ground/touching ground that is bleeding off some of the signal? Double check all of you connections against the schematic. Maybe using an audio probe might help you isolate the trouble spot as well.

Brian Marshall

my first guess would be the volume pot.

or maybe a fried trany.... although youd probably have problems other than volume.... bad ground on output jack???

Transmogrifox

If you solder transistors with an iron that is too hot, and keep the heat on for an extended period of time, you can compromise the operating characteristics of the device.  

Did you solder all 3 leads of the tranny one right after the other?

If the transistor was too hot to touch comfortable for more than about 20 seconds, this could be your problem.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

petemoore

If I'm not socketting Q's [say buffer] I use the clips for heat sink action.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.