Started by Ben N, May 03, 2004, 06:07:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Everyone knows some classics, e.g.:

TS-808 > Vibroverb
FF > Superlead
RM > non-TB AC-30
Dynacomp > DR

What are your best amp & pedal specific combinations?
  • SUPPORTER

jazzyfingers04

dod250 (2 of them if possible) with a traynor mk III. -Thick rich distort with one of them, with 2 it drives into lead tones. One set at vol: 3 oclock and drive: 3 oclock, the other is modded a bit with 3 diodes on one side compared to the 1 on the other for clipping (very assymetrical) set at vol: 4 oclock and drive at noon.

Amp at ch vol: 7. -a nice crunchy breakup sound.

MarkB

hate to say it - but no pedal into my Rivera.
I use lots of pedals for different flavors - but for my main tones, I tend to like guitar->amp

That being said - my Tube King into my Bassman sounds darn good... as does my FuzzFace into my Bassman.
"-)

Lonestarjohnny

Hi Ben,
I'm like a lot of the older guys that you meet on line, I have quite a bit of gear sitting around to choose from, But here lately I broke away from my usual habits and have been building my pedals to work with a Silvertone Mod. 1396 2X12 combo amp, It's old like me, LOL !
About 35 watts per side on the 4 6L6 power tubes into 2 output transformer's.
I have so far come up with my Ernie Ball volume pedal, my Booster that I built off the Schematic's here on the Forum,a Sili-Face Fuzz, thank's to RunoffG. a Tubeman distortion pedal,
a vox 847 I modded,Hope to get a Halo inductor for it one of these days,
a HolyGrail reverb pedal,a ad99 delay pedal,,
Thing's I wanna build, A good tube driven distortion pedal, A tube O Vibe,and a tube driven reverb pedal.
JD

Hal

rivera's are _really_ nice :-D :-D :-D

I played one at GC...sweet.  maybe it can go on the dream list, after i get a new niceee guitar...

puretube

Paul Rivera is such a nice guy! He had a booth opposing mine at the first 3 Frankfurt MusikMesse`s I attended, and was always very impressed by, and interested in my Tube-Wah adventures, especially the "POWAH"

which, and now we go on topic, can be routed such, that the guitar goes straight into the Wah-section (1x12AX7), and from that straight to the phase-inverter/power-amp, where it lets loose its over 70V signal capability.
"Wah" can be played by expression pedal, manually ("stuck"), automatic (LFO), or as Envelope FolloWah, where an expression pedal can be used to control "sensitivity".

axr

4ms duo distorter - 4ms phaseur - boss dd2
4ms phaseur - dod dfx9
4ms phaseur fleur - 4ms tremulus lune

Ben N

Thanks, everyone.  It's interesting to see the directions a thread can go...  Well, once it's out there it belongs to the world, I guess, but what I was after in asking the question really related to what some have noted in other threads, namely that certain pedals, especially of the fuzz/distortion/overdrive genres, can sound mediocre or even bad unless they are matched with the right amp, but then they are magic.  So, rather than looking for pedalboard setups and such, I was really asking for that special magic (or "je ne sais qua" for you Canucks out there) that happens in the combination of effect and amp.
Ben
  • SUPPORTER

bwanasonic

My Rivera Quiana 212 likes the AMZ Mosfet Boost and the Orange Squeezer a lot. Works great with both channels. A Rangemaster into the *Marshall* channel is really nice , especially with the Les Paul. I'm still exploring my Traynor YCV20, but for now it seems the tried and true *vintage* TS9 and Dunlop RI Dyna-Comp work well. I pretty much always have an analog delay  stuck in somewhere with any setup I use. I'd like to try the Vox AC30/ Rangemaster combo someday. Years ago, I used the TS9 and a script-logo Dyna-Comp into a Fender Super Six that was on long-term loan. I miss that amp.

Kerry M

MarkB

A vintage Big Muff into the Bassman (dialed down to semi-clean) sounds amazing...

As does the Roland Jet Phaser into the same amp/settings.
"-)

Lonehdrider

American Strat plus into my crate vintage tube 30 on 10!!! Only got to do this once as a club was closing, but boy howdy, that was yummy. My next amp will be a bassman reissue limited (ok, so its not a real 59, but it ain't nearly as expensive either and to be honest its a dynomite sounding blues amp to my ears and I'm working a deal on one... heh..). Ok Pedals..  My partners reverend booster into a vibrolux using a 70's les paul with SD antiqueties... My strat through a rangemaster clone into a blues junior or old deluxe. Those are about the only ones I use, I play blues and don't use many effects.. I do use a digital delay as I don't yet have a reverb pedal of sorts, I do plan on building a EA trem as it sounds real good. Ok, thats all from me, I ain't much of a pedal pusher for someone who likes to build pedals.. haha..

Regards,

Lone
With all the dozen's of blues songs that start "Gonna get up in the morning" , its a fact that blues musicians are apparently the only ones that actually get up in the MORNING...

jimbob

I have tons of effects and continue to build and aquire more and more--yet no matter what nothing sounds as good to me as the stock tube distortion from my triple XXX Peavey. I keep trying--still i go back to the start= the amp..O well ill keep trying/building!
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"