LM

Johnny Guitar

Quote from: LinuxManOk.

I've found the 9mm Alphas here.

I am just wondering what knob to put on them... Anyone knows of such small
knobs with a line as shown here.

Cheers
LM

Those look to me like 9mm Alpha pots found at Mouser -- see here http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=224825

These were specified pots for a semi diy synth "kit" (PCB, rare parts, box and front panel) by Chris MacDonald called the Minimodular -- great project! What you are looking at are not knobs but the pot shafts themselves. They have an indicator line on them and a knurled feel. Note: the diameter of the shafts is what you would expect from a pot shaft and less than one may want for a knob -- a good/cheap solution where knobs are very close together.

J

LinuxMan

Quote from: Johnny Guitar
Quote from: LinuxManOk.

I've found the 9mm Alphas here.

I am just wondering what knob to put on them... Anyone knows of such small
knobs with a line as shown here.

Cheers
LM

Those look to me like 9mm Alpha pots found at Mouser -- see here http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=224825

These were specified pots for a semi diy synth "kit" (PCB, rare parts, box and front panel) by Chris MacDonald called the Minimodular -- great project! What you are looking at are not knobs but the pot shafts themselves. They have an indicator line on them and a knurled feel. Note: the diameter of the shafts is what you would expect from a pot shaft and less than one may want for a knob -- a good/cheap solution where knobs are very close together.

J

Oh, now I see them...

That's nice... Usefull to know. I'll definetly find a use for them. Now if only
I could do Mouser orders. :)

Cheers
LM

Ansil

Quote from: The Tone God
Quote from: LinuxManAnd while we are at it, anyone knows where to get that nifty knobs that are
on the FuzzFactory? Or those small ones from Seek-trem and others?

I don't know this for a fact but I belive the knobs for the FF are one of the Eagle knob types which I belive you can get from mouser. The Seek-trem knobs are not knobs per se but trim pots. I belive they are the Alpha 9mm also availible from Mouser.

As for the paint my guess is its the same paint used on models. I forget the name right now. Keyser  :?:

Andrew

at last talking too i was told from the zvex crew that they are using davies knobs

i did some name dropping when i emailed davies and i got a nice little sampler pack of knobs.

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

LinuxMan

Hi.

So why can't I find the knobs from Fuzz Factory anywhere on their site?

I also tried to get me some samples but their online mailing form doesn't
work. When I tried to mail them via regular email it just bounced back...

Oh well... My guess is they are custom made.

Cheers
LM

bobbletrox

So Zvex puts an extra clear coat over the hand painted art?  I guess I could go to the auto sprayer twice and get a final protective clear coat.

About those trimpots:
You could easily build the Sequenced PWM into a B-sized box -like a Seek-Wah- with those trimpots.  The circuit for it is 4 ICs practically hooked up side-by-side with a couple components in between so it'd be easy as pie.

LinuxMan

Quote from: bobbletrox
About those trimpots:
You could easily build the Sequenced PWM into a B-sized box -like a Seek-Wah- with those trimpots.  The circuit for it is 4 ICs practically hooked up side-by-side with a couple components in between so it'd be easy as pie.

Heh, it's been done here and here.

And it's 3 ICs that you need... ;)

Cheers
LM

bobbletrox

I'm talking about a sequenced version of Tim Escobedo's PWM using RG's 8-Step sequencer.  I just mean it would look like a Zvex Seek pedal on the outside with the line of trimpots...but it'd actually be a totally different effect to any of Zvex's.

It'd probably be a really cool effect if you crammed it into a b-sized box (because 9 x 24mm knobs can get a tad large).  You could call it the Skipping Stone or somethin'.

phillip

I always like to use Lacquer paint on stompboxes.  Lacquer is excellent paint...it dries fast and hard without needing to be baked on like that enamel crap that's given me so many stress headaches over the years ;)  

You can get spray cans of Acrylic Lacquer in the automotive section of Wal-Mart...the Dupli-Color paints...in several cool metallic colors like two or three shades of red, two or three shades of blue, a couple shades of green, saddle tan metallic, etc.  You should also be able to find acrylic lacquer or some other lacquer in bottles that can be brushed on.  Once you get it looking the way you want, lay 2 or 3 coats of clear gloss lacquer over it and you'll have a finish that'll last for years.

Phillip

The Tone God

The pointer knobs used I belive are Davis:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=336169&e_categoryid=81&e_pcodeid=51604

But I think the Fuzz Factory knobs are Eagle:

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=348746&e_categoryid=81&e_pcodeid=04510

Take a look at a picture and judge for yourself. This is just a guess on my part.

I do remember hearing that the pedals are now being coated with a 2 part automotive epoxy instead of clear coat. More durable.

While we are bragging about sequencers the Vanishing Point 2 will use only two logic ICs (I hope) for the sequencing and have up to 10 steps with random and stage selector. No bounce mode. I have another variation of the VP on the way thats non-sequenced but a very interesting twist.

Andrew

zachary vex

the fuzz factory knobs are custom-made for me... there are actually two different types i use now and they are both custom-made for me.  i use some of the davies knobs on woollies and shos and a few other pedals.

jason myrold uses enamel paints for the lettering but two-part epoxy primer, base color, and two coats of two-part automotive epoxy clear over the hand-lettering.  he doesn't use any oils.  that would be silly.  8^)

before the boxes are painted, they are treated with a two-part chemical system that etches the surface and provides a "tooth" for the primer to stick to.

i have had extremely low failure rate on alpha pots, but there are always a few damaged pots on seek-wahs... i suppose i get one every month or so, out of the many thousand seek and ooh-wahs out there.

bobbletrox

LinuxMan

Yeah, thanks for the info Zachary... Let me make myself some hand drawn
graphics on the pedals now, shall I... ;)

Cheers
LM

cd

Quote from: zachary vexjason myrold uses enamel paints for the lettering but two-part epoxy primer, base color, and two coats of two-part automotive epoxy clear over the hand-lettering.  

Dang!  Sounds involved, but my SHO is still chipped to hell! :) :)

zachary vex

the old process, before jason switched to the automotive 2-part paints using a compressor, was enamel spraypaints and 1-part epoxy clearcoat.  the new paint is a heck of a lot harder and much more thick and shiny.

cd

Quote from: zachary vexthe old process, before jason switched to the automotive 2-part paints using a compressor, was enamel spraypaints and 1-part epoxy clearcoat.  the new paint is a heck of a lot harder and much more thick and shiny.

When was the switch made?  My SHO is from '01.

LinuxMan

And here are some tips from the artist (Jason) himself:
The process I use can be broken up into three phases. Primer and color
base coat, application of artwork, then clear coat.  The art work is
painted on using testors hobby paints. The base colors and clear coats
are an automotive paint process. A compressor is used to apply base coat
and clearcoat and these must be mixed with a catalyst/ hardener right
before application.  An oven is not necessary but can be used (and
sometimes is) to expedite the hardening of the clear coat. But generally
I use a time period of 24 hours per coat of material. There are special
procedures to follow and certain time windows in which the paints must
be applied or "wrinkling" of the artwork will occur. Its has involved
several years of experimentation to determine compatability of paint
processes, what is the quickest method, most durable, best looking, etc.

And about the color used:
QuoteThe color would be the model master testor enamels 1/4 oz, in the
little square glass jars.

And anyone that would like to own a Fuzz Factory for 5$ just click here. ;)

Cheers
LM

bobbletrox

Thanks for posting that LinuxMan.  The stuff about the artwork wrinkling is a bit worrying though.  I'll have to ask to the auto-painters about that.  I suppose I'll get a colour coat done first, take the enclosure home to do the art, and then take it back and get a clear coat done.

LinuxMan

Quote from: bobbletroxThanks for posting that LinuxMan.  The stuff about the artwork wrinkling is a bit worrying though.  I'll have to ask to the auto-painters about that.  I suppose I'll get a colour coat done first, take the enclosure home to do the art, and then take it back and get a clear coat done.

No prob.

Keep us posted though. It's nice to know about different painting techniques.

Cheers
LM