News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Diodes

Started by jeroen_verbeeck, May 18, 2005, 12:24:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeroen_verbeeck

Hi,

I have this schematic that I'm going to build.
All the parts were pretty clear, but it didn't say which diodes should go in.

So to get a basic crunchy sound, what diodes would you suggest.
I'm planning on experimenting with LED's, FET's and Ge's, but I simply don't know which type of each sort I need to choose.

Any advises ?

Thanks
J.

Arn C.

Howdy!
    Diodes= 1N4148, 1N914
    or try red leds  or a combo of diodes and leds
Germanium diodes will work, but usually a creamier sound, fuzzier not crunchy

Peace!
Arn C.

jeroen_verbeeck

Thanks,
I think I still have a couple of those lying around somewhere.
Will the colour of the leds influence the tone it produces ?

J.

Arn C.

QuoteWill the colour of the leds influence the tone it produces ?
My guess: I would say the leds influence how it distorts(crunchy creamy fizzy buzzy, etc....,) more than the tone(trebly,bassy,midrangy).  

Peace!
Arn C.

ninoman123

Theres about 13 million threads on diodes and which sounds they make.

Khas Evets

The forward voltage drop varies in LEDs by color. Red has the lowest, around 1.8V, and they increase from there. Any spec sheet will give you this. Still, all led's have relatively high thresholds compared to silicon/germanium diodes, so they won't sound that different. You could try different LEDs for slight asymmetrical clipping.

jmusser

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=26818 and also same prefix 25932 "Clipping diode flavers" and "which diodes sound like what" both are must reads, and should probably be in the FAQs.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

aron

The FAQ does have lengthly details on diodes as well as the simple mods page:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/mods.html

jmusser

Really Aron, you're right. Some of the text in post's I brought up, could be used to enhance what you have on the FAQs, but that's about it. That's where I got my information to start with. The "Simple Mods and Tips" alone on there, probably cover 50% of the questions that show up on here.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".