Invalid Session

Started by petemoore59, September 04, 2003, 12:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore59

What the heck is that???? Invalid session vent...lol

The Tone God

Quote from: petemoore59What the heck is that???? Invalid session vent...lol

What browser and ISP are you using ? IE ? AOHell ?

Andrew

petemoore59

what browser and ISP are you using ? IE
  Would the answers be: Yahoo, and Roadrunner?
  Out of the few times that I get that invalid' page it's when I take a long time typing a post.
  I don't think it's a problem with the server, I don't think I've had any other porblems there...How could I find out, I just would like to know if there's anything I can do or not do to prevent that. [/quote]

aron

I don't know what's going on with the invalid session except it is usually AOL members. I will probably be upgrading the software for the forum to a later version and perhaps it will help this.

Peter Snowberg

The dreaded "Invalid Session" message happens when a PHP user session expires.

When you come here, the server starts a "session" that tracks when you got here. This is used for security to make sure somebody else can't post using your identity while you're logged in. If you don't have activity for X amount of time, the session expires, along with your ability to complete a post.

There may not be a way to change this setting on the host (you can edit the value in php.ini if you can get to it), but there is an easy work-around.

All you have to do is remember to hit the preview button for your post every several minutes if you're writing a long post. That will tickle the session and you won't have any more problems. 8)

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

petemoore59

That losing posts with hour+ typing time got to me a bit....I think I can remem to hit that preview button when re-drafting and editing a lengthy post in the future!!! Thanks Peter ... I think that Will do it!!!!!
                                                                  Pete

gez

Another thing you could do is write your reply using notepad/works/whatever and then copy and paste it into one of these replys.  That way you can save it as you go along and even work off line (I've done this with long replies).
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mike Nichting

Hey, I will keep that in mind~!! Good idea Gez~!!

Mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

MarkB

I am having the same problem periodically - as a matter of fact, it just happened while typing this note.
I'm using IE6 on XP through a cable modem (no AOL, etc).. and I often keep IE open for days at a time.. if it helps - I've found that shutting down IE and opening a fresh copy seems to fix the problem, but it is definitely timing me out pretty quickly.
"-)

The Tone God

Hmmm. Maybe this is more of an IE6 problem. I use Mozilla and I have never had a time out even when I write a long message that take alot of time. Maybe its the way my cookies are setup or that I'm using the form manager to log me in.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

I'm using IE6 on a windoze2K machine and the second time I had an "invalid session" after spending the time to write a full page response, I was very unhappy.

I suspect the reason for it happening to me was that I sometimes start a reply, go off, do other things, research a bit, get sidetracked, and then complete the post. It hasn't been a problem since I started previewing every so often.

I havn't seen it happen randomly.... yet... :?

-Peter
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Jered

I'm using AOL and have yet to have a problem. I love this new forum.
  Jered