USA Big Muff Mod Question

Started by zacharybroyles, June 17, 2005, 12:27:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zacharybroyles

Hey guys, I did search the forum first so don't ride me about that, BUT...does anyone have any mods for the USA Big Muff Pi Reissue. Most ppl seem to have mods for the russian one (why :? ) I dont want to make it crazy but I do want to get a fuller sound, When I play live my main gain pedals are a Big Muff Pi, and a True Bypassed TS9DX. I need the Big muff to have some more mids because it seems to not be as loud as my screamer even though the volume is at 2 o'clock. And anything that can help the tone knob, I have Indyguitarist's mod book but again it's for the russian, and I would email him, but I think I'll try this forum before bothering good ole Brian.

Also how do you get the knobs off of these things, I've pulled and have had a hard time trying to get them off, and seeing as they are Connected to the board i really need to get them off to do any mod work.

Thanks Guys,
Zach

My Rig : Gibson Les Paul Jr Special, Epi Elite SG, 72 Tele Custom Reissue
http://l428.myspace.com/00132/82/48/132518428_l.gif

AL

Here is  a good list of general, across the board, mods.

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/mods.html

I recently modded a USA re-issue in comparison to a friends Ram's Head version I was repairing. I didn't have a lot of time but I did manage a few minor changes. First, I yanked the second pair of diodes out of the circuit and replaced the first pair with one silicon/on germanium. This mellowed it out a little bit - not much but it helped to my ears.

Second, and a noticeable difference to me, was replacing the existing transistors with lower gain transistors. The Ram's Head transistors all measured around 100 while the newer re-issue's measured upwards of 500. I didn't have anything that low so I used 2 BC109's and 2 2N222's - it smoothed things out a bit.

That's all I had time for. Some people have reported changing the coupling caps will help.

AL

Bernardduur

I made a mid mod for the BMP, NYC edition. Search the board, I guess I posted it somewhere.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

dadude

I would suggest just two things on that NYC. Replace all the 1uf NP caps with .1uf plastics. Then remove all four diodes and replace with 1N914's. While you’re under the hood replace that 9VDC plug with a Boss type and you'll be cooking with gasoline!

8)

Oh yeah, don't bother getting those knobs off. Just unsolder the pot lugs from the board. It's faster. Just remember where you unsoldered each wire from.

zacharybroyles

Quote from: dadudeI would suggest just two things on that NYC. Replace all the 1uf NP caps with .1uf plastics. Then remove all four diodes and replace with 1N914's. While you’re under the hood replace that 9VDC plug with a Boss type and you'll be cooking with gasoline!

8)

Oh yeah, don't bother getting those knobs off. Just unsolder the pot lugs from the board. It's faster. Just remember where you unsoldered each wire from.

My pedal board has the plugs that work with the big muff and other vintage styled pedals so thats no biggie. When you say plastics do you mean the metal film? I don't know all the terms ppl use yet, but hey man thanks for the help! I'll definatley try it out.

dadude

"When you say plastics do you mean the metal film? I don't know all the terms ppl use yet, but hey man thanks for the help! I'll definatley try it out."

I would go with those greeny film caps, cheap and sound great. The .1uf should fit perfect with the space you will have available on the board.