Popping bypass switches - even with pulldown R's

Started by Jim Jones, September 05, 2003, 01:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Jones

Hey guys,

Now that summer is coming to an end I'm starting to get back into amps and effects again.  I recently built another Rangemaster-type pedal and was comparing it with my first homebrew one and noticed a huge difference - in the switch popping!!!

My "original" pops incredibly loudly.  I opened it up, noticed that there were no pulldown resistors, so I put in some 1M's and tried it out.  The bugger popped just as loudly as before!  I had used some older polyester caps for input and output, so I changed those (wondering if they were leaky) to some ceramics...same thing, aaarggghhhh!!!

I tried a Miyama switch and then swapped it out for a British-made DPDT - still popping!  Would you think my bypass switches are the culprit?  Are Carlings and the Taiwanese blue jobbies less susceptible to pops?

I tried both RM's with two different amps and that's where things get even weirder - both pedals popped louder with one amp than the other.  And both amps have the exact same input section!!!  Bizarre, alright...any insight would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jim

R.G.

check the pedals with a voltmeter. IF theyre is DC on the outputs of the pedals, no amount of pulldown resistors will prevent popping. A bad output or input capacitor will do what you're describing.

R.G.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Jim Jones

Hey R.G.,

I am getting very tiny (fraction of a mA) readings on some of the caps I measured...I assume this is enough to be the cause... :)

Jim

R.G.

Even 1uA will cause popping.  When I designed the Millenium Bypass, I had to use the reverse leakage of a signal diode (about 10-15 nano-amperes!) as a bias source to keep the popping down to negligible.

R.G.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.