DIY True Bypass Loop Box?

Started by bwanasonic, September 05, 2003, 03:20:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwanasonic

I would like to make my own *popless* dual-loop true bypass box (with LEDs). I can find a lot of general info on bypass, but no specific schematics/wiring diagrams. I would prefer to use 3PDTs rather than the millenium bypass, unless the MB offers greatly improved performance.

Thanks
Kerry M

R.G.

A dual loop box is simply two single loop boxes in series, leaving out the now-useless two jacks between them.

For a "*popless*" box, you only have to make sure that the effects you use do not put DC out on the output lines. This means that the effects circuits have to have good input/output caps and that these have to have their leakage pulled to ground by high value "pulldown" resistors.  Pulldown resistors won't help if the circuits are leaking a lot of DC. The switches have little or nothing to do with this unless they're defective.

3PDT's and the Millenium Bypass have exactly the same signal performance. Both do true bypass, and offer the opportunity of a signal indicator LED. Neither has an advantage in terms of signal clarity or pop suppression - since that's largely not a property of the switch at all.

You can wire the 3pdt switch as in the picture of bypass switch wiring at http://geofex.com/FX_images/stompsw.gif. The Millenium Bypass in a single loop box is shown at http://geofex.com/FX_images/milltbbx.gif
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bettycat

You can find my step by step instruction for such a project, including the circuit and a FAQ at www.singlecoil.com/tb-strip/tbstrip.html

Have fun !

bwanasonic

Thanks RG and Bettycat!

I feel reasonably *idiotproofed* for this project now!

Kerry M

bettycat

Quote from: bwanasonicThanks RG and Bettycat!

I feel reasonably *idiotproofed* for this project now!

Kerry M

:D Be brave and start building - it´s much easier than it looks like.