vox repeat percussion

Started by hclip, October 24, 2005, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drewl

Thanks for the service info!
I recently worked on a Kay LesPaul FX that had a similiar UJT circuit in it.

There was a repeat percussion "module" in a Vox guitar i worked on recently, wonder if it came before or after the Beatle circuit.

returntable

Hi everyone, I just made a Stripboard Layout for this nice Effect.
I designed it so that you can solder Alpha Split Shaft Pots directly to the stripboard. By this, the board is already mounted in the enclosure, so you don't need to worry about this anymore. The layout fits pretty well into an Eddystone B enclosure.
The correct pinouts are also included.
The Values and partnames are the same as in Ron's Schematic. Only the bipolar Caps, I replaced them with polar ones, and they work just fine.
So, I hope you enjoy my layout :)

"the earth is not a flat screen"
-Saul Williams-

returntable

by the way, when the depth Pot ist turned down, the ticking of the LFO is audible.
Any chance of implementing a Depth Pot without this ticking problem?
Oh yeah, I used the Version on Analogmans Schem...
-Saul Williams-

returntable

Okay, I solved the Problem with the Blend Pot. The Blend Mod in Analogguru's Schematic doesn't really work, so I just replaced it with a simple Dry/Wet Control.
And the Volume Problem caused by R13, I exchanged the 3,3K Resistor with a 910Ohm Resistor. There's still a little difference, so maybe 1,2K or 1,5K would be the value to go for.

Here's my revised Stripboard Layout. Again, the Partnumbers and values(exept for R13) are the same as in the PDF by Ronsound.
Enjoy it!

-Saul Williams-

rove

Hey thanks a lot for posting that vero layout, I have been hoping someone would post one in this thread eventually.
have you built the effect from this vero?  I have tried both versions you have posted and have not successfully gotten the effect to work, the closest I get is some quiet ticking audible below the uneffected guitar signal, so before I bang my head against the wall any longer I would like to know the layout is verified.  Also, from the layout, I am unclear on the orientation of q1, the BJT, as it has a different physical layout than the one shown in your diagram.
thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to one day getting this effect working...

theehman

Quote from: rove on July 13, 2008, 12:17:05 PM
Hey thanks a lot for posting that vero layout, I have been hoping someone would post one in this thread eventually.
have you built the effect from this vero?  I have tried both versions you have posted and have not successfully gotten the effect to work, the closest I get is some quiet ticking audible below the uneffected guitar signal, so before I bang my head against the wall any longer I would like to know the layout is verified.  Also, from the layout, I am unclear on the orientation of q1, the BJT, as it has a different physical layout than the one shown in your diagram.
thanks in advance for any help, I look forward to one day getting this effect working...

The tab of Q1 is oriented differently than shown.  The tab should be pointing to the R2 connection.  Turn your transistor 180 degrees and you'll be fine.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

returntable

Oh yeah, sorry about that one. I forgot to mention that the Program I worked with only has standard Transistor Icons.
But when you turn it like theehman mentioned, it should work.
I've built it and it works just fine.
-Saul Williams-

theehman

Quote from: returntable on July 13, 2008, 04:04:15 PM
Oh yeah, sorry about that one. I forgot to mention that the Program I worked with only has standard Transistor Icons.
But when you turn it like theehman mentioned, it should work.
I've built it and it works just fine.

I had the same problem in the ExpressPCB board I designed.  Several times I'd forget and put the transistor in with the tab pointing the wrong way.  I finally just modified the transistor component diagram and saved it as 2N2646.
Ron Neely II
Electro-Harmonix info: http://electroharmonix.vintageusaguitars.com
Home of RonSound effects: http://www.ronsound.com
fx schematics and repairs

returntable

yeah, it's funny how you sometimes keep making the same mistakes ;)
Unfortunately with the prog I used(called Lochmaster) there is no edit option for the Icons.
So you have to use the pins for orientation, rather than the marker on the transistor.
-Saul Williams-