News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

MICROHIP

Started by Garrett, November 17, 2005, 04:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hal

does a 16f628 even have an adc?

::searches::  cool, looks like it does!  The book that I learned off of was pretty much aimed at 16f84s...I read online that the code is 99% the same, but thats why I didnt hear about an ADC or anything.  Maybe my other problems are comming from there.  Argh, now I'm more and more curious.

The Tone God

Quote from: Hal on November 20, 2005, 01:52:55 PM
does a 16f628 even have an adc?

::searches::  cool, looks like it does!  The book that I learned off of was pretty much aimed at 16f84s...I read online that the code is 99% the same, but thats why I didnt hear about an ADC or anything.  Maybe my other problems are comming from there.  Argh, now I'm more and more curious.

I hope you don't think that the onboard A/D is good enough for audio ?

Andrew

Dave_B

Quote from: The Tone God on November 20, 2005, 08:33:26 PM
I hope you don't think that the onboard A/D is good enough for audio ?
I've use it to read knobs.  Has anyone ever tried to use it for audio?  It's limited to 10-bits, so probably not anything other than novelty stuff.
Help build our Wiki!

The Tone God

Quote from: bellyflop on November 20, 2005, 09:03:49 PM
I've use it to read knobs.  Has anyone ever tried to use it for audio?  It's limited to 10-bits, so probably not anything other than novelty stuff.

Knob reading and things of that sort is fine. Audio...I wouldn't even try. Just was checking that you weren't getting your hopes up.

Andrew

Peter Snowberg

If you want to get your hopes up about using PICs for digital audio, grab an outboard CODEC or a pair of the Wavefront A/D & D/As and a dsPIC30F4013. 8)

http://www.microchip.com/stellent/idcplg?IdcService=SS_GET_PAGE&nodeId=1335&dDocName=en010345

http://www.microchip.com/ParamChartSearch/chart.aspx?branchID=8071&mid=14&lang=en&pageId=75
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

MR COFFEE

Thanks for the informative discussion, guys. Its been great to eavesdrop on.

Looks to me like the PIC '628 or '683 might do for the envelope follower project and even output a control voltage via the PWM. A software Bissell EF.

I'm going to have to check out the Atmel parts you are so keen about, Peter.

Thanks again guys.
Bart

Hal

I think the 16f88 replaced the 16f628 as the new mid-level standard part.  Its the same way they phased out the 16f84a's, better prices, more features, almsot backwards capatable...

I read an article in nuts and volts a while back about doing DSP with pics.  I need to find it again.  IIRC, it was centered around a certain dev board, though.

Dave_B

That's what I read too, Hal.  I bought a few 16f88's from glitchbuster.com to get the basics down and test my homemade programmer. 

Unfortunately, if a person is really starting out with zero knowledge, there doesn't appear to be much plug-n-play code for the 16f88.  A little bit of reading will get you past that point, but I appreciate that sometimes folks just need to prove the hardware works before moving up to the "Hello World" phase. 

On the same topic, it's amazing how you can be working feverishly on something, then lose all interest when a minor problem crops up.  My programmer has become intermittent over the last week after working flawlessly for a couple of months.  I recently added a full-size 70's era stereo to my workbench and it just occurred to me that the problems started around that time... 
Help build our Wiki!

Hal

Quote from: bellyflop on November 27, 2005, 08:55:12 AM
On the same topic, it's amazing how you can be working feverishly on something, then lose all interest when a minor problem crops up. 

yea, i have massive project add