"1959 Bassman" amp sim & mp3's

Started by MartyMart, March 06, 2006, 07:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://www.pbase.com/image/56898767/original

My "Bassboy '59" amp sim ..... :D

Here's the schematic, with a veroboard layout to follow tomorrow.
Based on some original '59 Bassman schematics, narrow box/Wide box and
"TV" style versions, so isn't a direct "lift" from any single amp
I've omitted the tone stack, but the original or your "pet stack" can be inserted
between Q3 and Q4 quite easily.
I found the tone to be full and bright enough as-is and compared quite well with a
mid sixties version that a friend owns,( eq set about flat ) .. in fact he now wants one of these, so it can't
have been too bad !!
Any comments/improvements etc are welcome and please excuse any "glaring errors"
this is a fine sounding and fully working sim, albeit not "an original" and sounds fantastic
when boosted with a TS-9 pedal ( found a use for it now !!)

I will add some sound samples and vero layout to this thread, a.s.a.p

NOTE: Please study carefully the link from Q1 to Q3 via the 2 100k resistors and the connection to
Q3's gate and link to drain  !!!  Q3 drain needs to be at around 6.5v for correct operation !

Enjoy,

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bernardduur

Nice one! Maybe I put it in the same pedal as my Flipster and switch between them
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

barret77

...and the crowd shouts in unison "sound clip! sound clip! sound clip!"  ;D

MartyMart

As requested, recorded with JMP-1 clean and flat no extras, reverb on TS-9 sample.

Clean:
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/59Bassboyclean.mp3

Half gain:
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/50bassboyhalf.mp3

Full gain:
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/59Bassboyfull.mp3

Pushed a bit with a TS-9:
http://aronnelson.com/userfiles/59%20pushed%20TS9.mp3

Excuse the crappy playing .... I'm NOT  SRV !!!

MM
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

PenPen

Very cool. You beat me to this. I was planning one day to make a SS Bassman replica in the chassis of an old crappy Crate SS amp I have. Looks like I now have a schem for the preamp already! Thanks for posting.

wampcat1

Hey Marty, is that your amp reverb or a plug-in? If it's a plug in, which one is it!!?? Love it! ;)

(sorry for the OT)  :icon_mrgreen:

MartyMart

Quote from: wampcat1 on March 06, 2006, 12:31:02 PM
Hey Marty, is that your amp reverb or a plug-in? If it's a plug in, which one is it!!?? Love it! ;)

Glad that you like my "reverb" demo Brian ..... :icon_rolleyes: ... why do I bother ? :icon_wink:

It's just the Platinum reverb in Logic Pro7, small room I think ...

MM

scaesic

how was this recorded?
dont suppose theres any chance you could put it into a power amp and record it through a speaker?

cx_deluxe

I was hoping someone would sim up one of these.  The clips sound great.  I really like the clean setting.  The half gain sounds good too, but there was something about the full gain that I didn't like -- too much transistory distortion?  I'm having trouble describing it.  As if the mids were coming through an Atari?  Kinda like a psychedelic era distortion effect?  Maybe this is EXACTLY what it is supposed to do, its just not my thing.  Could be.  Oddly enough, I thought it sounded better agian with the tubescreamer driving it.  Could be because the combination is driving the tubes in your preamp?  Not sure.  Again, I really like the clean setting and I think I'll probably build one on its merits alone.  Nice work!

MartyMart

Quote from: cx_deluxe on March 06, 2006, 12:59:44 PM
I was hoping someone would sim up one of these.  The clips sound great.  I really like the clean setting.  The half gain sounds good too, but there was something about the full gain that I didn't like -- too much transistory distortion?  I'm having trouble describing it.  As if the mids were coming through an Atari?  Kinda like a psychedelic era distortion effect?  Maybe this is EXACTLY what it is supposed to do, its just not my thing.  Could be.  Oddly enough, I thought it sounded better agian with the tubescreamer driving it.  Could be because the combination is driving the tubes in your preamp?  Not sure.  Again, I really like the clean setting and I think I'll probably build one on its merits alone.  Nice work!

The recordings were carefully made, so as NOT to drive the JMP-1 at all  :D
The tone is all sim and sim + TS-9.
JMP-1 does impart its own "tone" on stuff ( which I'm not so pleased about ) but its a quick way
to record clips !
Through my  valve amps it sounds better, less mush and more mids ( speakers ? )
It can get slightly cleaner, with gtr/bass backed off a tiny bit ...

Cheers,
Marty.

jmusser

Wow Marty, are you the next ROG? :icon_wink: I liked the full gain setting really well. The clean setting was nice and clean. I didn't care for it as much at the half setting or with the Tube Screamer. Of course, that's all personal preference. Nice Job! I still have your last project to build.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

barret77

wow, really nice. Damn, one more build to the queue...

Eirik

Nice one Marty! Again! :)
Does anyone have an opinion of what the Doug Hammond/ROG-style amps would be like, using a starved 12ax7 or sim. for the first stage? I suppose running at 18V would be fine.
Would it make any difference at all, or would it be just a waste of time and space? My thought is just to achieve that nice input tube breakup.
I would of course try it myself, but I have so many builds to do I'd rather spend my time with them than wasting time experimenting with the tube idea if no one think it would make  a difference.

Eirik

Paul Marossy

How much insertion loss do you get when you add a tonestack to it? Is it just a matter of tweaking drain values until it's all good?

wampcat1

Quote from: MartyMart on March 06, 2006, 12:39:50 PM
Quote from: wampcat1 on March 06, 2006, 12:31:02 PM

Glad that you like my "reverb" demo Brian ..... :icon_rolleyes: ... why do I bother ? :icon_wink:

It's just the Platinum reverb in Logic Pro7, small room I think ...

MM

hehe!  :icon_lol: Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound that way!
The circuit sounds great too, I'm still jonesing to build that classic 30 fet sim!!! :icon_cool:

Take care,
Brian

MartyMart

Quote from: Paul Marossy on March 06, 2006, 01:59:44 PM
How much insertion loss do you get when you add a tonestack to it? Is it just a matter of tweaking drain values until it's all good?

I'll draw one up with it in if you like, you dont loose much at all, this has a TON of volume !
The samples were recorded with master vol at about 9 o'clock !!
( you may need to pull down the output a bit with a resistor )
It just seemed to sound "right" without a tonestack :D

MM.

Paul Marossy

Quoteyou dont loose much at all, this has a TON of volume !

From your notes on the schematic, I would have thought so. Just thought I'd check.  :icon_wink:

MartyMart

Quote from: Eirik on March 06, 2006, 01:45:52 PM
Does anyone have an opinion of what the Doug Hammond/ROG-style amps would be like, using a starved 12ax7 or sim. for the first stage? I suppose running at 18V would be fine.
Would it make any difference at all, or would it be just a waste of time and space? My thought is just to achieve that nice input tube breakup.
I would of course try it myself, but I have so many builds to do I'd rather spend my time with them than wasting time experimenting with the tube idea if no one think it would make  a difference.

With this circuit, I guess that using one 12AX7 for Q1/Q2 position might sound nice ....
but then, you may as well build it all "as the original schematic" !!
Then plug that into a power amp !
Dont forget, these emulations are a "simulation" of tubes run at 200-300v  Not a starved plate
version, so it probably wont sound as good, even with 12AX7's ... if they are just "light bulbs" !!

I can tell you that my friend with the '60's Bassman was quite "gob smacked" at how close the
sound was  :D
MM

skyhigh

Quote from: MartyMart on March 07, 2006, 06:26:23 AM
Quote from: Eirik on March 06, 2006, 01:45:52 PM

With this circuit, I guess that using one 12AX7 for Q1/Q2 position might sound nice ....
but then, you may as well build it all "as the original schematic" !!
Then plug that into a power amp !
Dont forget, these emulations are a "simulation" of tubes run at 200-300v  Not a starved plate
version, so it probably wont sound as good, even with 12AX7's ... if they are just "light bulbs" !!

I can tell you that my friend with the '60's Bassman was quite "gob smacked" at how close the
sound was  :D
MM

maybe a Fetzer Valve construction could do some good?? 

http://www.runoffgroove.com/fetzervalve.html
Other alternatives to look in to:
http://www.skyhighblues.com
//

EdJ

I like the samples.
They remind me of a Randall amp i once had.
I loved that amp but it went in flames when the rehearsel room burned down.
Still haven`t built the vulcan fet though:)

Greetings,Ed