Prototyping 'Rack' - no more dangling jacks!

Started by zjokka, May 10, 2006, 06:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zjokka

hi all

After one diystompbox, I had enough of dangling jacks and pots. Built a prototyping 'rack' with jacks, battery supply, and lots of pots (maybe more to come). I tested a fuzz face yesterday and it worked great and fast. I used the bottom half of an aluminium pioneer tuner front. The pot holes were already marked min-max! Except one

Started on a Multi Fuzz yesterday, and I even avoided the trimpot and just used a pot on the protoRack. Much easier for biasing while playing than a trimpot. And when I decide upon a final configuration, i can just spend a resistor instead of a trimpot.

I never saw this on a stompbox site. On the other hand I would suppose everybody has something like this.

Zj

The pictures give some idea --

BDuguay

Perfect example of working 'smarter', not harder.
Nice job!
B.

RedHouse

I think a lot of folks have arrived at the same conclusion.

Mine actually has a proto-board attached to it so I have no more dangling boards.

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

gaussmarkov

:icon_cool: :icon_cool: :icon_cool:

... and this looks like a good place to add a simple diy vice to hold a populated circuit board.  i really like the one that i made for soldering: http://gaussmarkov.net/tools/tools.html#diy_vice.  perhaps make one that has the blocks lying flat, cut slots in the blocks so that they can be moved around a bolt and use wing nuts and washers to hold the blocks in place.  cut kerfs in the blocks to accept the edges of the board.  :icon_biggrin:  i guess this could also be a way to alternatively fix a small breadboard in place as in R.G.'s version.

Pushtone

Also see dano's test rig...
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=42632.0

It inspired me to build this combination test rig and proto board
with an onboard tone generator, terminal strip to discourage
lead breakage, and DC jack.

It's time to buy a gun. That's what I've been thinking.
Maybe I can afford one, if I do a little less drinking. - Fred Eaglesmith

WGTP

I would incourage EVERYONE interested in modding this stuff to at least get a small RadioShack bread board.  I still have a dangling output pot, but use fixed resistors for everything else.  I don't even box stuff up, just have a distortion sitting on my amp for non-stop mods.   :icon_cool:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Unbeliever

Quote from: WGTP on May 11, 2006, 12:34:50 PM
I don't even box stuff up, just have a distortion sitting on my amp for non-stop mods.   :icon_cool:

You mean you make mods live, when you are gigging?  :icon_eek:  :icon_biggrin:

WGTP

No, just practicing, but you could do it live.  I have enough trouble just remembering the songs.   :icon_lol:
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Paul Marossy

psiico

I made one of these too, similar to Paul Marossy's.  Mine's not that tidy though and has no label.  My only regret is I didn't make it big enough to stick two breadboards on there.