Main Menu

60c Computer!

Started by RaceDriver205, July 17, 2006, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaceDriver205

You gotta love this:
http://www.futurlec.com/Atmel/ATTiny11.shtml
And it's 60cents!

I am so using this whenever I need basic computing in a circuit.
Oh, It has a DIY programmer too!
http://www.geocities.com/westfw/electronics/attiny11-prog-notes.html

Peter Snowberg

Be sure to look at the ATtiny12 and ATtiny13 also...  :icon_wink:
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

The Tone God

They are $0.54 at Digikey right now. ;) Tiny11/12s are intended for those really little projects that do very basic things. The Tiny11 does not do ISP programming hence why you have to build something different or use something like a STK500/Dragon. To be honest for all that work for that programmer I would say buy AVRISP programmer which is less the $40 if you don't want to pickup a STK500 or Dragon.

I don't know if the cost savings of the Tiny11 which would work only for the few projects that we would do around here along with the cost and work for the programmer really makes it a savings. Personally I would spend alittle more and grab the Tiny13 which has A/D and PWM on board which are very useful for alot of what we would want to do around here. It is roughly twice the cost of the Tiny11 which at this level is not much. ;) The Tiny13 is actually cheaper then the Tiny12 too which makes me wonder why the Tiny12 is not EOL'd yet mind you I think the same thing about the Tiny15 with the Tiny45 out.

Enough of my blathering.

Andrew

RaceDriver205

True, I used a tiny13 in a mechanical device at uni a while ago (with ISP), and its pretty good. Using a tiny12 is good too coz you have ROM access.
But they don't cost 60c!  ;D
I also have one of those AVR ISP programmers (a silicon chip magazine design), but have yet to put it to use. Its going to be used for the design I am working on using the ATMega64 (which is awesome!). ISP is very very good, thats for sure!

One Idea I had for non-ISP chips, is to use the next chip up (a tiny12 in this case), and use it instead for ISP programming. All pins are compatible etc. Then when your sure its right, flip over to the tiny11. Of course, there may be no point unless you want to 'churn' out your design.
But a 60c computer!  8)

The Tone God

I look at it as a time and cost thing. All new AVRs will have ISP. Only the older and I'm sure soon to be EOL'd AVRs don't have ISP. Putting the time into a programmer that will support older AVR is kind of waste I think. And for the time of having build/buy two programmers I would just pickup a STK500 or a Dragon. Even just the simple AVRISP would be cheaper for basic projects.

I personally don't see the point for the Tiny12s exsistance anymore. When it was introduced it was to be the next step up from the Tiny11 that had ISP and EEPROM. The Tiny13 with more memory, more features, works with C, DebugWire, and being a buck cheaper it blows the Tiny12 out of the water. Even the Tiny15 has a hard time standing against the Tiny13 let alone the Tiny25/45/85. The only reason to keep the Tiny11 around is for the extremely basic function at a low cost but then you need the equipment to program it and if you are doing one offs I don't see the savings.

Just my opinion.

Andrew

RaceDriver205

Yeah, thats all fair.
I normally aim for maximum efficiency, but to be fair the programmer is small and simple and has a basic debug mechanism. If I were to put one of my AVR ATTiny13 designs online, other people may not have a programmer, whereas the tiny11 has a simple free-design one.
Of course, It may not turn out to be a one-off. If its cool and other people want one, you can offer it at a lower price and higher profit if you focus on the cheapest parts you can.
Speaking of defunct, the 12C508 can't be used much anymore, its like a tiny11 but more expensive and can only be written once!

RaceDriver205

Damn ATTiny11 programmer didn't work. I swear its my computers serial port though. Its not the first or last serial programmer to not work on my computer.

RaceDriver205

Nope, not serial port, I think the programmers crap.

amz-fx

The ATtiny11 requires an external 12v supply to get it programmed, while the tiny12, -13, -15 and others do not.  It can be a little touchy to get it going sometimes.

I posted this pic in another thread, but my ATtiny11 programmer is the second from the top with the external power input cable.

-Jack