New boost/over-drive Project: The Vibin' Champ

Started by mojotron, July 21, 2006, 02:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcos - Munky

Thanks a lot for this circuit. I appreciate all the work you had to make this effect became alive (and I'm sure it was lots of work). The soundclips sound great too. It's in my "to build" list.

QSQCaito

I just can't get that j201 :(, the best thing would be to use 2 2N5457 right?? In that case, how would affect that the sound, less gain, cleaner, how, any clue?

Also in the case i use 2 2n5457, the trim pots should be the same value? to what voltage should i adjust them??

Thanks a lot

bye bye

DAC(Diego Andrés Cao)
D.A.C

burnt fingers

That looks like a great little circuit.  And for the record, you put what ever you want on your schems.  They are your artwork and NOBODY I mean NOBODY has any right to criticize it. 

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

mojotron

Quote from: Marcos - Munky on July 25, 2006, 05:36:06 PM
Thanks a lot for this circuit. I appreciate all the work you had to make this effect became alive (and I'm sure it was lots of work). The soundclips sound great too. It's in my "to build" list.

Great Marcos - I am more than happy to contribute any way I can!

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 25, 2006, 08:58:33 PM
I just can't get that j201 :(, the best thing would be to use 2 2N5457 right?? In that case, how would affect that the sound, less gain, cleaner, how, any clue?

Also in the case i use 2 2n5457, the trim pots should be the same value? to what voltage should i adjust them??

Thanks a lot

bye bye

DAC(Diego Andrés Cao)

Hey DAC, with 2 2n5457 it will about 1/2 the gain and about 1/2 the breakup - so somewhere in between the clean vs. dirty sound clips I made if running at 9v. This would make a nice boost - it would be on the clean-ish side. You may want to control the high-end a bit too by putting a 220pF cap across the Drive (Dr) pot lugs - but that is totally a preference thing. The other thing I would do if using 2 2n5457 parts is to use 2 batteries or an 18v adaptor and run the circuit at 18v - I have not tried that, but it is what I would do if I did not have j201 parts - it may sound even better...

The easiest way to set the trimpots is to set R6 so that you get the most "crackle" volume, when you first adjust it, then adjust R7 for the most sound volume, then tweak R6 again for the most sound volume - I use this method a lot when I am swapping out parts and generally gets you close to the computed value of (Vd = .6 * Vcc + .7 * |Vp|) = .6(9)+.7(1.5) = 6.45v using 2n5447 parts assuming Vcc = 9v - double Vcc for 18v. It is safe to assume that JN1 and JN2 drain voltages (Vd) will be roughly the same - but because of R3 - JN1 will have a slightly higher Vd where JN1's Vd would be 6.45v + Vr3. The simplest thing is to 'tune' the trimmer pots by volume.

Quote from: burnt fingers on July 25, 2006, 11:57:01 PM
That looks like a great little circuit.  And for the record, you put what ever you want on your schems.  They are your artwork and NOBODY I mean NOBODY has any right to criticize it. 

Scott

Thanks Scott - this approach is new so I anticipated some comments and I never expected complete acceptance of this method. It's great that everyone is so respectful here, even if people disagree with me - that's one of the things that makes this forum great. And, this gives me the right approach for me to release other designs.

QSQCaito

Wow, thanks a lot for the help.

BTW i found an electronic shop faaar away that told me he had j201.. so im planning a big order.. to uild 5/6 pedales out of once..

byebye

DAC
D.A.C

mojotron

Quote from: QSQCaito on July 29, 2006, 01:09:28 AM
Wow, thanks a lot for the help.

BTW i found an electronic shop faaar away that told me he had j201.. so im planning a big order.. to uild 5/6 pedales out of once..

byebye

DAC
If you are getting started, you might want to buy extras - like enough to build two times what you had planned. A few years ago I bought 10 times of everything I was building at the time. After a few buys like that I got to the point where, generally, I just need to buy a few unique parts here and there - like a D-FF IC - in order to build new stuff since then. I wish I had done that back in the '80's when there were no online parts dealers - it would have saved me a lot of trips to obscure places  :icon_biggrin: