RD11eb- how important? for Ce-2

Started by jimbob, August 09, 2006, 12:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

The layout at Tonepad shows a diode rd11eb but im all out. Any other common diodes that may work in there? Maybe 1n914 or 1n4001?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

I found the answer..

QuoteRe: Question about ce-2 tonepad build
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 11:15:17 PM »
It looks to me as if the diode is just there for polarity protection. the RD11EB is an 11v 0.5w zener diode, though a 1N4001 is standard practice for polarity protection and will work. I imagine thats just what the original pedal used, Francisco is really faithful to the original.

Re: Question about ce-2 tonepad build
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 11:32:14 PM »
Nelson is right.

That's just part of the power protection circuit, and can be left out.

Fp
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Projectile

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just thought I'd post this reply in case anyone else was looking for information on this diode in the CE-2 schematic on tonepad.

The information posted here is incorrect. This diode is being used for a completely different purpose than the typical 914 or 4148 used for polarity protection. When a zener diode is used in this configuration it actually acts like a voltage regulator. However, the correct zener diode must be carefully chosen based on the impedance of the load and the voltage of the source. It would not be wise to replace this diode with another zener unless you know what you are doing. The good news is that if your power supply is already properly filtered then this diode is really not really necessary and it can be omitted.

guitar413

Quote from: Projectile on October 01, 2010, 03:51:36 AM
I know this is an ancient thread, but I just thought I'd post this reply in case anyone else was looking for information on this diode in the CE-2 schematic on tonepad.

The information posted here is incorrect. This diode is being used for a completely different purpose than the typical 914 or 4148 used for polarity protection. When a zener diode is used in this configuration it actually acts like a voltage regulator. However, the correct zener diode must be carefully chosen based on the impedance of the load and the voltage of the source. It would not be wise to replace this diode with another zener unless you know what you are doing. The good news is that if your power supply is already properly filtered then this diode is really not really necessary and it can be omitted.

Do you put a jumper in it's place or just omit it?

anotherjim

If this is D7, drawn as a Zener diode, it must not be a wire link - that would short circuit the power supply. Omit if you don't have one.