Tube Fuzz Face

Started by johnnybegoode, September 24, 2006, 06:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pinkjimiphoton

higher voltages just won't fuzz, bro. they'll overdrive or do clean... higher ya go, the less fuzz ya get.

but good luck! it's just a goof that it works at all, ben. have fun, bro!

glad to hear stuff is getting better there. we're not even peaked here... and the orange one wants to rock and roll.

i'll lay out with.... history shows again and again how nature points out the folly of man. stay safe bro. shalom!
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

pinkjimiphoton

here ya go, worst video ever. great new pc. ughhh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5JKPk5yMLU&feature=youtu.be

if u make it to the whole thing, god bless  ya. audio is really weird. sorry.

rock on!  :icon_mrgreen:
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mcknib

I don't know about the circuit but

Jimi you're defo the dude that keeps on giving for sure

Your posts are the absolute best they always put a smile on my face and that takes a lot for a miserable b@$€@?) like me, just hilariously brilliant in the nicest possible way

Great circuits, good banter what more d'ya want?

Keep em coming Sir

pinkjimiphoton

lol hi billy ;)

i'd post more stuff, but the company i work with sucks up every dang new thing i come up with. i'm grateful for that, but it seriously kinks the flow of my experiments being distributed for free. i'm hoping once mla is more established i can release some of the other stuff i've come up with which is being developed.

its all about the stupid, bro ;) one love, stay safe!!
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mcknib

Jimi

If we ever get this gpcb fam meet up going when all this madness is over

You'll need to take a day off come get a few beers, I'll be buyin!

pinkjimiphoton

i'll bring the left handed herbal jazz cigarettes ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

mcknib

pinkjimiphoton

i mean, 'twould be a joyous celebration for all us electron addled deviants to get to hang out ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

bluebunny

Quote from: pinkjimiphoton on April 27, 2020, 03:53:21 PM
'twould be a joyous celebration for all us electron addled deviants to get to hang out

Cool circuits and poetry too!  What a neat place this is.   :icon_cool:
  • SUPPORTER
Ohm's Law - much like Coles Law, but with less cabbage...

Banjan73

Pjp:
Wattage is the same.
P=U*I
P is power (W)
U is voltage
I is current

Gus

A Garnet amps stinger schematic looks interesting

pinkjimiphoton

thanks bro,
but i know nothing of any of that stuff ;)

i think my point is the current draw is different depending on the voltage being run at, and whether ac or dc.

messed with it more last nite a little, finally added bypass... at 9v i can just barely hit unity gain, which of course is unacceptable. i'll be messing with it more at some point, one of these days. really better to be thought of as a circuit snippet than a standalone.

the point was really just to see if it would "work". it does. well? no. ;)

hi gus

it kinda sounds like a garnet amp.... very "american woman" rhythm guitar, kinda
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Banjan73

That math is actually not diffucult.
You get the same wattage with
12,6V*0.15A=1.9W
6.3V*0.3A=1.9W

As mentioned earlier, it does not matter if it is AC or DC. The  heater draws equal amount of current. If you don't believe that, experiment with an AC source and measure, and do the same with a DC source. Should be the same.

pinkjimiphoton

oh, i believe ya ;)

but pink don' be knowin' nothin' bouts none of that stuff ;)

i boxed it today. still tinkering tho. used a f'd up pea%^&* enclosure to stuff it in, cuz all i stock for me is 1590a's and b's

i finally gave up on trying to make it fuzz like a fuzzface. the circuit is the same still as a stock face other than the part values, the valvecaster tone control and adding in a "voice" control in the feedback loop.  finally settled on running the plates with a charge pump at around 30 volts, and the heaters at 9. tried running the heaters at 12v with a chargepump bumping it up to 18v and then regulating it to 12, but it just wouldn't fly. i, as always, take great pride in letting the magick smoke out of obscure and pricey components.

in the end, its a nice sounding tube preamp, the voicing and fuzz controls let ya dial in everything from clean and kinda compressed to ripping velcro. the super saturation and woolyness of the fuzzface isn't gonna happen with this circuit. that said, it doesn't sound bad now that i'm not trying to just make it fuzz. maxxed fuzz pot is about where a ge fuzzface sounds with your volume on about 8... kinda clearish overdrive that will crackle when ya punch it hard, and is very sensitive to playing dynamics.  but below that, with the voicing control, you can dial in a pretty good range of overdrive sounds. it SOUNDS like a fender amp breaking up, pretty much... the ones with master volumes.

i'm still messing with it... may add a ge tonebender stage to the front end, and a few other things, but as a standalone, it very much sounds and acts like a fuzzface now, minus most of the distortion. i'm hoping MLA turns it down so i can just release the dang thing ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

Banjan73

Hey dude.
Might be nice to write proper english so that us foreigners can follow you😉
So this is going to be a commercial product? Have you considered some of the standards that the authoraties need for releasing it? I used to work at one of these electrical safety companies, and I know that even tough were talking about 9V, it may be some rules. (perhaps not since this is a audio product. I used to work with medical products and there 9V is potentially lethal)..

pinkjimiphoton

sorry mate, i'm american, proper english??? ;)

the actual product, if it happens, will be the problem of the company to deal with. my gig is just creating weird noisemakers for them. not too worried about the standards thing. perhaps if mass producing them, but not at the entry level stuff we're doing.

yes, this will likely be a commercial product. i was asked about developing the idea by them, was their concept. my gig was to see if it was feasible and worth doing. i was researching to see if others had done this already and found the thread. i was amused by it, and decided to see what would happen. i am no EE. i don't claim to know anything about electronics. i take a cookbook approach based on years and years of experimentation and breadboarding. not afraid to let the magick smoke out of expensive vintage rare components.

my focus is and has been on fuzz almost since the beginning. they don't teach that stuff in electronics. its more about bending and breaking the rules than following them. ee's are taught linearity and to minimize distortion. i seek to maximize it thru exploiting il-linearities i come across.

i'm literally the guy that will sit there for days swapping out different value passives and listening intently to what the audio result will be... and fine tuning stuff from there til i'm happy with it, or can accept it as about as good as i can get it.

so when i saw this thread, and the claims in it that it couldn't be done, i was like.... not that much dif in function between an npn transistor and a triode, really. and i was right..... and wrong.

the circuit works as what it is. the differences come down to the behaviour of the semiconductors/tubes. transistors saturate and stay saturated and clip hard. tubes saturate but don't STAY saturated and clip soft. that's the biggest hurdle with this kind of circuit.

i'm hoping when i send the prototype to MLA they reject it. then i can just release what i did, which ended up a relatively useful and toneful box. its a tube face, but not quite a fuzz face. they sound very similar, but very different.

i usually release all my projects here. since i been working with them,  most of the stuff i come up with gets picked up by them. frankly, being able to pay my expenses for a change as i pass thru this life is kinda liberating, after being a completely broke ass musician living off tapeworm food for 5 decades ;)

peace!

ps, will try n get a stupid pedal trick video of it when done. right now, its up to 4 knobs and a peculiarly placed diode clipper; trying to decide if i want to make that part switchable.

the two main knobs are fuzz and volume. the other two are matsumin's tone control from the valvecaster verbatim, and i made part of the feedback resistance variable as a voicing control. the basic circuit retains the fuzz face topography, which was a big part of the concept to me... so i can live with it. i'd like more fuzz out of it, but .... that would require a voltage drop substantial enough to kill the output.

like everything, its all compromises. ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

PRR

Quote from: Banjan73 on May 01, 2020, 07:09:30 PMHey dude. Might be nice to write proper english so that us foreigners can follow you😉

Why should you have all the fun? I comprehend Missouri, California, New Jersey, and now some Maine, and I mostly have no idea what the Jim is going on about.
  • SUPPORTER

pinkjimiphoton

what, paul, u don't speak connecticut swamp yankee flatlander hipster musician baloney?

damn, dude, you ain't lived ;)
  • SUPPORTER
Slava Ukraini!
~Jack Darr

tubegeek

I speak all sorts of baloney! Gulden's Mustard helps when I get stuck.
"The first four times, we figured it was an isolated incident." - Angry Pete

"(Chassis is not a magic garbage dump.)" - PRR

Marcos - Munky

Interesting enough, I can clearly understand Jimi, even english it's not my main language. In fact, I got my "formal english classes" by being a member of this forum on early days (using google translator's help) and by playing Final Fantasy 7 on ps1.

Maybe it's because we're both apes on theory. Or because I'm drinking a glass of a good beer rn while I'm reading Jimi's posts. That's probably the secret: have a nice beer. If you still don't understand Jimi, drink another one and try again  :icon_wink:.