A/DA Flanger does TZF?

Started by Dave_B, September 29, 2006, 05:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave_B

I'm probably imagining this, but I thought I read here that the A/DA Flanger does TZF.  After looking at a schematic, it doesn't appear that way.  Assuming it doesn't, what makes it such a special circuit? 
Help build our Wiki!

Mark Hammer

It does NOT do TZF, however it gets very very close to zero delay and has an extremely wide sweep (MUCH wider than a BF-2), which is why it enjoys such a good reputation.

RaceDriver205

Where can I find a copy of the schematic? Is there any layout?
Cheers

StephenGiles

Search ada flanger and stephengiles!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Dan N

"You may have meant to search for Adah flange and strangles."

???

RaceDriver205

Score. Maybe ill get to doing a layout for it, if I ever get everything else finished.

swt

sorry for hijacking...but it looks like an ended thread. What makes the sweep so long?. is it the way the driver attacks the delay ic?, or the lfo?. can this same circuit (lfo/clock/driver), be used with a mn3007?. thanks a lot!

StephenGiles

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v317/StephenGiles/ada_MI_1024.jpg

For the 200th time! If I provide seach help, please use it. By the way, Dave pointed out that there are two IC3C's in my drawing - I will try to figure out what went wrong wih the numbering........how come nobody else spotted this?
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Ry

Stephen,

I've been looking over this schematic this week and ordered the parts last night.  I have a question about the power supply to the SAD1024.  It looks to me like the power pins (7 and 9) are pulled to ground via resistors.  Should the ground connection  shown at the 10R resistor on pin 7 be +15 volts?

Oh wait, I think I just figured out that the upwards pointing open triangle are +15v connections.  Can you verify this?

Thanks,

Ry

Rob Strand

Stephen, there's a couple of trivial errors on there as well:
-  470R near IC4a goes to ground not +15V power
-  47R near lower IC3c goes to ground not +15V power
-  10R near IC8 goes to ground not +15V power
- IC1a, has power symbol instead of ground
- IC4a doesn't have a ground for it's power connection
- IC2a missing power connections
- IC3a missing power connections,
  one of the IC3c's is presumably IC3a but neither of the IC3c's has power
- The 4u7 tantalum should be a have a polarized symbol
- The output cap should be polarized?
- The digital ground should connect back to the analog ground at some/one point
- Are IC's 5, 6, 9 supposed to be powered from +15V?
  looks funny that they connect to the analog power.

Many people will automatically filter out these trivial things.

Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

jmasciswannabe

I have been wanting to build the ADA since I started, but am too nervous about doing the etch for it. Those lines are so small and so close together! I usually spend an hour fixing bad/smeared traces on just a regular sized circuit! So RaceDriver, if you do a layout for it let me know! The sad1024 situation is a bummer also, I only have one....and have been debating wether to build the 9v electric mistress with the possibility of making it a tzf or finally getting the guts to try to the ADA. Oh, and the stripboard ada picture I have seen....wow. Legendary.
....the staircase had one too many steps

StephenGiles

Quote from: Ry on September 30, 2006, 01:06:11 PM
Stephen,

I've been looking over this schematic this week and ordered the parts last night.  I have a question about the power supply to the SAD1024.  It looks to me like the power pins (7 and 9) are pulled to ground via resistors.  Should the ground connection  shown at the 10R resistor on pin 7 be +15 volts?

Oh wait, I think I just figured out that the upwards pointing open triangle are +15v connections.  Can you verify this?

Thanks,

Ry

verified

StephenGiles

Quote from: Rob Strand on September 30, 2006, 01:25:05 PM
Stephen, there's a couple of trivial errors on there as well:
-  470R near IC4a goes to ground not +15V power
-  47R near lower IC3c goes to ground not +15V power
-  10R near IC8 goes to ground not +15V power
- IC1a, has power symbol instead of ground
- IC4a doesn't have a ground for it's power connection
- IC2a missing power connections
- IC3a missing power connections,
  one of the IC3c's is presumably IC3a but neither of the IC3c's has power
- The 4u7 tantalum should be a have a polarized symbol
- The output cap should be polarized?
- The digital ground should connect back to the analog ground at some/one point
- Are IC's 5, 6, 9 supposed to be powered from +15V?
  looks funny that they connect to the analog power.

Many people will automatically filter out these trivial things.

Thanks for pointing these out. In fact the unfilled triangle is ground whichever way it faces, so no problems there. I usually assume that folks know that opamps need power, so sometimes I include connections and sometimes I don't! 4u7 tant is configured as -ve to ground.ICs 5,6,9 are powered from 15v, possibly via a 10R resistor and filter cap. We're off to bed now but I'll look at the original circuit tomorrow if I have time.

I'll also update the circuit in due course. It's just a form of art to me!!

markusw

Another Q: why was the threshold pot plus associated parts omitted from the schem? Is it not necessary soundwise?

Markus

StephenGiles

Because it is not necessary, oddly enough it is quite quiet enough. I draw circuits because it amuses me to produce a work of art from ther sometimes appallingly drawn ones. Please feel free to alter it as you feel fit. Paint is good for this.

markusw

Thanks for your answer Stephen! :)

Hm, one more Q.  Comparing the schem for the Mike Irwin mod to the old original SAD1024 schem the SAD1024 is wired slightly differently: in the old schems pins 5, 6,11 and 12 are mixed via four 270 ohm resistors while in Mike Irwin's mod only pins 5 and 12 are mixed via a 1k pot (parallel multiplex operation). I understand that the 1K pot is used for clock nulling. Is there any advantage of one method over the other and what's the difference soundwise? Sorry for the dumb questions.  :icon_redface:

Markus

StephenGiles

Dont know I'm afraid - on second thoughts, and quickly as I'm being dragged off to breakfast, the null pot can considerably cancel out clock whistle at lower clocking frequencies. Now........eggs!!!

Rob Strand

>I understand that the 1K pot is used for clock nulling
On other units I've compare the nulling pot with just shortting the outputs together or using equal resistors and I could never detect any difference in the "whistle" level.  I can see why most commercial effects don't have nulling pots.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

StephenGiles

I think that using a scope, the nulling can be done pretty accurately. Does anyone want a copy of my Excel file of the flanger drawing to play about with?

markusw

Maybe I'll include both options into the layout (the one with 5/12 + trim pot and the one with all four outputs mixed by the four 270 ohm resistors.

QuoteOn other units I've compare the nulling pot with just shortting the outputs together or using equal resistors and I could never detect any difference in the "whistle" level.

The 9V Mistress also has just two equal resistors and there is no clock noise :)

Quote from: StephenGiles on October 01, 2006, 07:48:22 AM
I think that using a scope, the nulling can be done pretty accurately. Does anyone want a copy of my Excel file of the flanger drawing to play about with?

This would be great! Thanks a lot in advance! you got pm. :)

Markus