Should I make it freely readable or only for reg. users????

Started by SoundTech, August 17, 2003, 10:01:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should I make it only for reg. users?

yes
13 (27.1%)
no
29 (60.4%)
I don't care
6 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Voting closed: September 15, 2003, 08:46:29 PM

SoundTech

I may not have gotten so into this or other forums if non-registered people couldn't browse the forum.  I say let non-regestered people read, but only regestered members can post.
Sound Tech
  (((O)))

aron

Interesting.

Why would you let anyone read anything we are saying without registering?

If we were all talking in a room, would it be acceptable to have people listening in at any time?

Wouldn't restricting access reduce the one thing people have been complaining about all these years? The idea that people are lurking?

The Tone God

Quote from: aron
Why would you let anyone read anything we are saying without registering?

To allow guest to search and read helps with a few of things.

1. Encourages people to use the FAQ, archives, and search function since they may not want to go through the trouble regestering.

2. Provides troll and spam protection.

3. Allows lurkers since blocking guests would cause alot of one-time/unecessary regestrations.

I don't have a problem with lurkers personally.

Andrew

Peter B

I agree with (what appears to be) the general attitude of allowing free access to read messages but perhaps only allowing registered users to post and reply.

After all free access is what got myself, and I'm sure many others, into this hobby in the first place and I'd say this should be encouraged. Surely once someone is hooked enough to want to contribute being asked then to register is no big deal?

Peter.

AllyP

They're right you know... :wink:

Read access for all - Ask yourselves where you would be now without the original forum! (I would still be sat staring at that bloody Guv'nor going, "Huh?!?!  Why dont this tupping piece of poo workin!!!!")

Post access for only registered users - See ToneGods post

bigdaddyjass

i would never have started with all this sweet annoyance either if the old forum wasn't public.  i also agree that registered users should be the only ones to post--it'll keep the occasional flaming to a minimum.

randy

aron

I have no problem with leaving it as is.

All the information IS free, all anyone would have to do is register.

Anyway, the reason I was mentioning all of this is that in the past, people get better at stompboxes then stop posting their cool designs due to the fact that anyone can read this forum. This was an issue that was brought up in the past and will probably appear again.

That's the only reason I brought this up.

Gilles C

I don't think that registering would stop people from acting the way they want.  :(

But being able to read when non-registered and having to register to post would be my choice.  8)

Gilles

Thomas P.

I really don't get what's the use of being able to read this forum without being able to post questions. Most of the people who will read and not post are beginners, I belive. So why shouldn't they being 'forced' to register - they'll doing it anyway when their pedals aren't working.
And who else will be interessted in the informations posted here...maybe some guys who'll make some ca$h out of the stuff posted here without appearing on stage?!
Anyway what you decide to do, aron, I would lock at least the the schematic pages and more important the memberlist. Maybe the archive, too.

Regards,
tomboy

P.S.: I like the new forum very much!!!
god said...
∇ ⋅ D = ρ
∇ x E = - ∂B/∂t
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ x H = ∂D/∂t + j
...and then there was light

al3151

My vote is for public viewing of threads with only the registered posting.Having said that,is there a way to add an option to the post that one could control whether the post is public or viewable only by registered users?

Rob Strand

Read only for non-registered people is probable the best middle ground.

Mind you I have not posted on a number of forums that required you register to post - it's a pain when you just want a quick post on a subject you don't often deal.  Also, I don't like registering on too many sites because you don't know which sites are giving out your email address to spammers.

Rob
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

aron

Quote from: Rob StrandRead only for non-registered people is probable the best middle ground.

Mind you I have not posted on a number of forums that required you register to post - it's a pain when you just want a quick post on a subject you don't often deal.  Also, I don't like registering on too many sites because you don't know which sites are giving out your email address to spammers.

Rob

Well, I am glad you are here :)

I was starting to get worried.

Scott Swartz

Ed Rembold

Well,
I'm gonna say it (and probably be dis-liked) but I think that there should be a "public" Title Page, so that people cruzing tha net can find it and see whats going on ....But-  to Read and Post- I vote you have to register!
I hope I'm not the only one.
Ed R.