Simple DIY Parallel AVR Programmer completed!

Started by RaceDriver205, October 02, 2006, 05:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaceDriver205

Finally! Ive built an Atmel In-circuit programmer that actually works!
The details for this are from this URL:
http://www.olimex.com/dev/avr-pg2.html
You may notice how very simple it is.
I built the Serial programmer as well but it didn't work. Serial ports are phased out now anyway.

I did a PCB & layout here:
http://www.geocities.com/race_driver205/atprogpar.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/race_driver205/atprogparpcb.jpg
Gotta love that part count. Note that the PCB obviously needs scaling.

Now that hurdle's been crossed, I can move onto the next stage of the pitch shifter - finding out why its not working  :icon_rolleyes: :D

bioroids

Wow that's really a simple circuit. I asumed the programmers needed more stuff, for some reason.

Luck!

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

RaceDriver205

The serial ones even simpler! but my serial one didn't work for some reason.

amz-fx

Sometimes it seems like getting the programmer working is half the struggle! :)

Here are some that I made and am using:

At the top is a serial programmer for 8-pin Atmel AVR chips. You can read the words "Pony Prog" through the pcb. Below that is a special programmer for the Attiny11 which requires an external high voltage supply.

Bottom row on the left is a parallel PIC programmer and then two simple parallel AVR burners.  I've programmed a lot AT90S2313 chips with those last two...  they are actually the same circuit but I changed the layout when I built the second one for a friend (but he bought one before I got it built).

RaceDriver205

So far ive had 3 serial programmers that havent worked. Im pretty sure it must be the cable im using.
What sort of serial cable did you use for them? I also built the ATTiny11 programmer, without success.

amz-fx

Quote from: RaceDriver205 on October 11, 2006, 03:03:45 AM
So far ive had 3 serial programmers that havent worked. Im pretty sure it must be the cable im using.
What sort of serial cable did you use for them? I also built the ATTiny11 programmer, without success.

It's just a plain vanilla serial cable that was laying around my office...  nothing special. I've had good luck with the serial programmers - those both worked first time.

The parallel proggie in the bottom center did not work at first and I tinkered with the values and made some mods to get it going with the port on my old laptop, which is why it looks so kludged together.

regards, Jack

Dave_B

I had issues with a serial PIC programmer about a year ago.  If you're programming in high voltage mode, as I was, it could be that your serial port isn't quite up to the task. 

For me, after realizing how much time I lost messing around with the programmer, I bought an STK500.   
Help build our Wiki!

amz-fx

Here's the schematic to the parallel programmer for the AVRs:

http://www.qsl.net/ba1fb/fbprg.gif

Couldn't be simpler! :)

Lots of people have made this one with success but occasionally it requires a mod or two to get it working.

-Jack

amz-fx

It gets all of its power from the parallel port.

-Jack

Peter Snowberg

I cheer on all attempts to make anything DIY, but I sure am glad I just bought the STK500. It's never presented a single hassle or even the slightest burp from the tools. ;)

Debugging can be an immense pain if your tools misbehave.
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Dave_B

Quote from: Peter Snowberg on October 13, 2006, 11:02:15 AMDebugging can be an immense pain if your tools misbehave.
I'm curious how many failed attempts are the result of High-Voltage programming with an unpowered programmer.  That's what I was doing last year.  It started out fine, then slowly degraded to the point that it wouldn't burn a chip.  I've only recently started up again with the STK500 I bought a couple of months ago.  It's been really nice to take the programmer out of the troubleshooting equation. 
Help build our Wiki!

The Tone God

The Dragon is powered off the computer's USB bus and has a built in switching supply to produce the voltage for HV programming. I'm really falling in love with the Dragon.

Andrew