Izzy

So then I have narrowed down my options to
1 -4148
2 - 4001
3 - 271 or 34's (which one is better?)
4 - Led
5 - Mosfets
6 - ? (Any suggestion?)

And do I always need to attach a diode with Mosfets?

343 Salty Beans

Izzy

Sorry I mean putting diode in  series with mosfet.

343 Salty Beans

I don't think so...I've never done it myself, but I've heard clips and seen other people do it   :icon_biggrin:. It uses the diodes inside the MOSFET to clip already.

Izzy

Thanks again salty beans!

Can any one give me some idea of how to put tube (12ax7)? I eman do they need separete setup or can they just go in feedback looop?

GibsonGM

whoa whoa Izzy, LOL!   You'd have to look up "tube preamps" on the net, or look in the links...there is a tube amp site (AX84, maybe?).   What you'd be doing with a 12AX7 is making a small preamp...the tube is driven into clipping, resulting in distortion (just like the front end of an amp).  If you're already using a tube amp, this might be a pain in the ass for no good benefit  ;)  They operate just like transistors in theory, but sound a lot better in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, you use a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe? I do too...just replaced V1 and V2 with 12AT7's. It tamed the fizzle distortion, warmed the amp up, and my MXR sounds GREAT thru it now!!  Making a pedal with one may in fact just duplicate what the amp is already doing.

To get you started, the first number with preamp tubes refers to the voltage it operates at (12 in 12AX7, for example).  The letters = gain, and the last number is the number of elements in the tube.  There are 7 in many, this is a dual triode.  3 elements each, and 1 for the heater which is common to both.   Power tubes are entirely different, I don't know much about them except that they DO take 100's of volts to operate. 

Start searching the net...maybe you'll create something new!  lol  Now you're opening up amplifier construction  8)
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Izzy

haha thanks GibsonGM!

So it does take 100 voltage...hmm..I guess I am not at that level to play with 100v now. ;D

But I will sure do look it up.

And No I dont have fender deluxe hotrod. I have this crappy 15w marshall which I use to use for headphones As I never get to play it because I live in apartment.hehe
I dont want cops knocking at my door.
I have been a headphone guy for a long time.And now after I bought Line6 toneport Ux2, it gave me the tone that I was looking for...haha now I have been using that computer generated effect with headphone.

While I  look up tube preamp does someone know any good diodes for clipping beside these :

led
mosfet
1n271 or 34 (can anyone tell me the difference between these two?)

Izzy

I am still waiting for some one to fill the 6th  space for Diodes option :D

theblueark

Actually the tubes can run on 6V or 12V too. It's called starve plate or something. For mine, I'm actually using them as clippers, not as a preamp.

Check out this thread for more info: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=41416.0

I asked a lot of questions near the end, which should help you with understanding it.

Your other option for the 6th position, I reccommend leaving it open, so you can hear how it sounds without any clippers too.

Izzy

Thanks!
But looks like people say it aint worth the effort for using Tubes as clipper. I guess tube alone costs like $20 in ebay. :D
I guess using tube inside the pedal as a preamp wuld be cool but looks like I need to do lot of research before I start ;D

Well I was about to but parts from smallbear, but I need someone to fill in this 6th diode option spot.
I dont want to leave it empty  :-X

3.LED (red 3mm)
4.Mosfet
5.Germanium diode (271 or 31's? which one is better?)
6. _ _ _ _ _  can anyone suggest? :-\

alderbody

Quote from: Izzy on October 22, 2006, 09:20:12 AM
how does the connection on this one work?
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=117

like that!  :icon_mrgreen:

If you want to find out, just short the two "output" leads and run a continuity test on every pin.
You'll discover that the pairs are formed every sixth pin. That is, the first you'll test will match with the seventh, and so on...

Mark them, so you won't lose what you found.

[tip] You may need to fit a knob in order to rotate that shaft.
It's kinda hard to do it with your fingertips. At least my switch was really tight...

alderbody

Quote from: Izzy on October 24, 2006, 12:18:31 AM
I am still waiting for some one to fill the 6th  space for Diodes option :D

Assymetrical clipping?   
Let's say, Ge on one side and Si on the other.
Or two Ge on one and one on the other...

your options are countless... 
Just listen before you solder... ;)

btw, mosfets need a Ge diode in order to produce the "mosfet" clipping.
Otherwise they should sound like Si.  (oversimplified approach)

More info can be found here:
http://www.elixant.com/~stompbox/smfforum/index.php?topic=38581.0

alderbody

Quote from: Izzy on October 24, 2006, 02:33:22 AM
Germanium diode (271 or 31's? which one is better?)

It's not a matter of diode part number, but mostly a matter of material/turn-on voltage.

So the categories are generally: LED, Si, mosfet_as_diode, Ge or Schottky (similar thresholds).
It's just that in the real world, even some parts of the same type might have some minor (or major?) differences.

Also read: http://www.muzique.com/lab/warp.htm  and all the similar articles.

Once again: listen before soldering!... 

good luck!

Izzy

Thanks man I appreciate.

And yes here I can choose between symmetrical clipping and assymetrical clipping. If you see on the pic, one of diode selection has empty option which lets  me to make  ayyemtrical into symmetrical. hehe

And thanks for explaining switch. So it means there are 12 connections? each one connects to the one on the opposite side right?
So If I short 6 connector in one side I  guess I can make this switch a 1p6t switch, I guess.?

Quote from: Izzy on October 22, 2006, 10:31:00 PM
yes I am trying to make assymtrical clipping too.

This is what I have been trying to make in Boss DS-1 circuit, with
1n4148
1n4001
1n4007
1n271
1n34a
LED

here will be huge possible of outcomes but I dont know how much of each out come is gonna differ. There is also an option for hard clipping for soft clipping using dpdt.

Izzy

Can anyone recommend best MOSFET trannies for heavy metal kinda distortion, or closer to that? ???

343 Salty Beans

To get a metal distortion, you need a super-high-gain circuit. Changing diodes alone won't get you radically new tones. They affect the distortion clipping only. Changing diodes is something subtle. Don't expect to go from a light bluesy tone to heavy-metal crunch with one diode switch.

Izzy

hmmm Can you show me any super high gain circuit?
Are they the one with 4 opamps? :-X

Izzy

can any one suggest me some good transistors for higher distortion?

Izzy

KerryF

Good MOSfets would be the BS170 (of course) and the 2N7000 (probably would recommend this one for your circuit).