I have one weird Idea !

Started by Izzy, October 21, 2006, 11:27:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Izzy

hi I had this one weird idea, but I wanted to make sure with you guys.

How much of  change does a diode makes in distortion?
I wanted to make a pedal with 6 diodes selection in each diode position. So that I can select any diode out of 6 diodes in using rotary 3 rotary switch.

I havent shown diodes in the pic below, but just wanted to show what I mean.

with 6 changable diodes in 3 position there will 216 possible  outcome of distortion sound.
What do you think?

burnt fingers

Not a weird idea at all
http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/shaka.JPG

I'm not sure how you'de wire up the switch. I suppose it would just take a little thought as to how the connections are made.  Don' know

Scott
Rock and Roll does not take a vacation!!

www.rockguitarlife.com
My Music

Izzy

No, probably I couldnt explain it well.
I mean you can select 6 diodes in each diodes shown up there. I didnt mean 6 diode at once.
there will be only 3 diodes as shown above but i will be able to change any diodes with a rotary switch.

Izzy

what do you guys think? how much of variety of distortion am I gonna get?

I am planning to use
1n4148
1n270,
1n4001
1n4007
LED
1n34

Which LED is better? 3mm or 5 mm? and what color  is best?

choklitlove

Quote from: Izzy on October 21, 2006, 11:23:32 PM
Which LED is better? 3mm or 5 mm? and what color  is best?
i think people like 5mm red.  i don't know, just wire a bunch of different ones in the switch.  test test test.
my band.                    my DIY page.                    my solo music.

RaceDriver205

Well, my recommendation is sort through those and remove those you don't like the sound of.
Different colour LEDs have different threshold voltages, so what is 'best' is subject to your taste, so you should try a few.
I would personally narrow it down to 1 diode type that sounds the best.

Izzy

Izzy

343 Salty Beans

Changing the number of diodes in series on each side can be just as drastic as changing the diodes themselves, if not more so. As long as you're modding the bejeezus out of your pedal, try switching diodes in and out of the circuit altogether.

As for the switch, just order it and figure it out with the beep mode on your meter  ;) shouldn't take ya five minutes.

Izzy

haha Nice one.
Yeah I was gonna order them but I wanted to make sure whether I can make then 2p6t or not.

I wanted switching like this.

x x o o o o o
x o x o o o o
x o o x o o o
x o o o x o o
x o o o o x o
x o o o o o x

So I wanted to make sure. Doesnot adding more diodes in series decrease the distortion and increase the the level?

343 Salty Beans

yes, but you can experiment with asymmetrical clipping (one side has more diodes than the other). Some people hear a huge difference, some don't. It depends on what characteristics of distortion you tend to hear more.

Izzy

yes I am trying to make assymtrical clipping too.

This is what I have been trying to make in Boss DS-1 circuit, with
1n4148
1n4001
1n4007
1n271
1n34a
LED

here will be huge possible of outcomes but I dont know how much of each out come is gonna differ. There is also an option for hard clipping for soft clipping using dpdt.

Izzy

Any help?
which diodes should be the best options?

343 Salty Beans

1N4007 is almost exactly the same as 1N4001. A different/better option would be to use a MOSFET as a clipping diode. And aren't 1N271 and 1N34as both germs?

Izzy

Thanks a lot.
That would help.
So Instead of 4001 and 4001 I will only use 4001.
Hmm and I dont know how to attach transsistor there. Can you help a  bit?

And yes 34's and 271 are both germs, so are they the same too? If yes then I will have to remove one of them

Thanks!

So any other better option?

theblueark

Enjoy the clipping experience  ;D

I have a DS1 which I modified and added clipping options via a 2 5 way rotary switches.

Gives me any combination of the following:
Germanium
Stock Silicon
LED
Tube
Open (no clipper)

You could also try putting a few of them in series, it will increase the headroom while keeping most of the characteristics. Especially useful for the low head room germaniums.

343 Salty Beans

Izzy

Quote from: theblueark on October 23, 2006, 12:24:27 AM
Enjoy the clipping experience  ;D

I have a DS1 which I modified and added clipping options via a 2 5 way rotary switches.

Gives me any combination of the following:
Germanium
Stock Silicon
LED
Tube
Open (no clipper)

You could also try putting a few of them in series, it will increase the headroom while keeping most of the characteristics. Especially useful for the low head room germaniums.

WOW you had a tube too?? I wanted to try with a tube but I am kinda scare of its high voltage!  ;D

GibsonGM

Hi Izzy,

For this kind of application, one uses a preamp tube, such as a12AX7....they run on 12V (yes, the first part of the name = voltage; the AX=gain factor, and the 7 = # of elements inside the tube).

If your pedal is already assembled, you could put wires where the diodes go in the board, run them out to a breadboard, and switch all kinds around.  When you find winning combinations, write them down.  Then you can set up your switch and install that part of the ckt ;o)
One way to tell diodes are going to be "different" from each other is to measure their forward voltage.  That, I believe, has MUCH more to do with their sound than diodes from within each "family".  Another thing to think about is that if you change diodes radically, you may also want to change input/output caps at the same time, or that filtering cap on the MXR to the right of the clip section - the character of the distortion can change a lot between diodes.  That means another knob, or toggle, or some really fancy wiring!  Worth looking into, tho.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Izzy

Thanks GibsonGM.!

So that mean 12ax7 only needs 12v? I heard they needed 110 v??
So If I use tube wouldnt it be a hassle to bring 12 v just for the tube?

And for the mosfet transistor can I use any one? Or can you tell me some good ones?