simple fuzz effect schematic problem

Started by __dave, November 10, 2006, 09:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

__dave

ok, so before I found this website, I found a fuzz effect schematic on another website>
http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/fuzz.htm
I've tried building this twice on veroboard and on both occasions it hasn't worked at all. I've double checked and I'm using exactly the same parts that it suggests, with a dpdt switch and 2 mono jacks.
The LED itself lights when I press the dpdt switch down but I can hear nothing through my amp even if the effect is 'on' or off.
If I turn my amp up to about 10 on the volume, I can hear a sort of buzzing that changes/stops when I touch the strings on my guitar but apart from that I am getting nothing.
could someone PLEASE have a quick look at this schematic to see if it looks right cos it's driving me mad trying to get this to work.
For the record, this is the first circuit I've attempted at building and I'm pretty sure I've done everything right  ???
I've tried switching the 741 op amp chip upside down, replacing the 100uF capacitor in case it's the wrong way round/faulty etc
I've also added 6 track breaks on the board, 4 between  the legs of the 741 op amp, 1 between the legs of the 1k resistor and the other between the legs of the 'capacitor 3' on the diagram as someone suggested this to me.
Any help at all would be greatly appreciated on this one!

fixr1984

From what I understand you have no sound on bypass either.
I would think that maybe the switch or jacks may be wired up
wrong. Can you explain how you have it wired up?

__dave

Hi, I've just done this in paint using a template i found in the layouts gallery...

For the record, there's also an LED in the circuit with the legs at V1 and V9 on the stripboard.

fixr1984

One problem I see right off is that the output jack is connected to nothing.
You have the output capacitor one track to low. It sould be up one row connect to
pin 6 of the IC. The switch is usually used to bypass the signal so when you turn it off
you get the guitar signal straight thru. The way it is now you are switching the power on and off and would have
no bypass at all.

fixr1984

I believe there should also be a trace cut in the third row down
separating the input capacitor and the diodes. The schematic shows them connected
after R3