PNP germanium wah mods

Started by RobB, September 14, 2003, 03:57:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobB

Hi, I'm planning to get hold of a dunlop GCB95 wah and moding it to my liking.  I haven't had a close look at one yet but I believe the board is single sided so I should be able to strip it rebuild from scratch.  Some of the reading I've done so far suggests the older units had lower gain transistors than are installed in todays ri's.  Then I remembered I have some AC128 left over from a fuzz face project (leakage compensated gains of close to 100).
Would it be feasible to turn around all polarity conscious devices (including battery) and have the circuit function with PNP Qs.  
Would there be any conceivable tonal benefits to using germanium in a wah?
Has any one tried this?

Rob.

ErikMiller

I recently McCoy'd a stock GCB-95, and I think you'd be going to too much trouble and wasting a couple of good germanium transistors.

It's not as if lower gain silicon NPN's (which is what the originals used, I believe) are that expensive. You can get 2N2222's at Radio Shack. I ordered BC108B's from Small Bear, but I don't think there was any sonic difference between them and 2N2222's in this application.

What affects the sound most is the inductor and the component values. I got the best results by changing everything to the values in the original Clyde McCoy.

Of course, true bypass it and get rid of the input buffer.

You'll be amazed at how much the sound of one of those things can improve!

swt

Can you tell  me what those mods are?. Values..etc. Thanks a lot.
PS: or maybe send me the clyde mc coy schem...
sfeirwt@infovia.com.ar
Thanks!

ErikMiller

Check out this thread for my favorite wah mods:

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=262&highlight=

The Clyde McCoy schematic is at:

http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/mckoy.html

Note that there are component values other than the ones in red that differ from the current shipping Cry Baby. I wasn't happy until I changed the resistor on the emitter of the 1st transistor and the one in parallel with the 4.7uF cap to match the McCoy.