Millenium Bypass problem

Started by amckinley100, September 14, 2003, 08:13:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amckinley100

Hi all - i'm fairly new to all this stuff, but i've been having problems with RGK's Millenium 2 Bypass board and was wondering if anyone could help.

I put it together in the prescribed method, using a 2n7000 MOSFET, a 1n4148 pullup diode, and the B-C junction of a BC109 NPN transistor as the low leakage diode.  For the current limiting resistor I used a 4k7 metal film resistor.

My problem is that the LED works as planned, but on some occasions the LED turns itself back on slowly (when the effect is bypassed) and won't turn on again until I ground the 'G' terminal on the MOSFET - typically by simply touching it.  

This seems to be a random problem - sometimes the LED doesn't turn itself back on, and other times it does - most annoying.

Any assistance people could provide would be gratefully appreciated!

Many thanks
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy..."

Rob Strand

The Millenium uses a delicate balance leakages.  I suggest just replacing the diode or transistor (with the same part number), the leakage isn't right on one of them- if changing one doesn't work try changing the other.

Make sure the board is fairly clean around all the connections near the switching circuit too.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

Rob Strand

Quotebut on some occasions the LED turns itself back on slowly (when the effect is bypassed)

I thought that's what you said.

Actually, my previous post isn't correct for this problem.  The problem you have here sounds like you don't have a DC path from the output of your effect, at the effect itself, and ground.  Usually this takes the form of a 100k resistor to ground - I'm sure RG's pics show such a resistor.  If the LED ckt just connects to a cap then the cap charges up and the LED comes on after a while, until you switch it again.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

amckinley100

and I didn't even see that resistor! - too busy just building the effect and bypass board!
Cheers for that, i'll give it a go and see what happens!

amckinley100

Excellent! that did the trick

Thanks again