Modding a Morley PRo Wah for Bass?

Started by Tomass_17, December 28, 2006, 04:54:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomass_17

I love this Wah to bits, but when the Wah is fully opened up it gets very trebly and it loses its body. So i been looking through the schematic,  which ive come to the onclusion that i need to replace the .0047 cap to a .100 cap to allow more bass through. Is this all i have to do for more bass response, or should i change all the caps to .100?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

These Morley inductorless wahs have a rather complex (well, complex to a non-EE like me) filter. If I was trying to mod it, the first caps I'd go for would be the ones joining the LDR thaat operates the filter, and I'd only be doubling them.

I've come across Morleys that had problems because of misalignment of the LDR and the led. Probably worth playing with that a well.

Tomass_17

i found the mods that one user posted and tryed that switch, very cool.
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=39136.0

i was thinking of playing around with R28 and trying different values, which should change the intensity of the Led. the .0047 cap wont allow the bass through so it makes sense to change it.

Meanderthal

I am not responsible for your imagination.

Meanderthal

Here, take a look at the filter section of their bass wah, and you'll see where I got those values from.

oops-

http://www.morleypedals.com/pbaes.pdf

Tomass_17

thanks for the link to your bass mods, the 2 wahs are fairly similar so i should be able to apply them to mine. For the Led intensity i want to wire a DPDT but i dont have any expereince in these switchs. What i want to do is to have 2 extra resistors onot R28 and use a switch that goes On-Off-On. would it be possible to have the original wired to the on position facing the bottom, an extra wire to the middle of the switch (off possition) for more intensity and then a 2nd extra for the highest intensity on the top on position?

Meanderthal

Mmm I think off on those really does mean off... I might be wrong, but I've never been able to use em as a dp3t or something. How bout a resistor(1k or so) and a 5k pot for an intensity knob? Just an idea...

Tomass_17

yer i tried that one, didnt really do much. Plus i dont have any 5k pots, only 10k pot. And Jaycar is closed for 2 weeks now :icon_cry:
I was thinking instead making the wiring go On-medium intensity, Off-normal, On-highest intensity.

Meanderthal

That might work.

Oh, btw, I want to be clear- The mods I did to mine(the ones listed in the other thread) came directly from comparing morley schematics, not through some kind of grueling analysis of the circuit or tedious process of trial and error. Morley is kind enough to post a whole lot of their schematics(at least one of which actually suggests one on "my" mods), and it's easy to see what they all have in common, and what differs between the different models. I didn't do anything special, they did!

I'm just surprised that someone didn't try this approach a long time ago...

Yeah, I know there's a big crowd who just can't stand the morley wahs, but just try one on bass once... any morley... on bass it'll leave Clyde crying in a corner like a baby...

Tomass_17

i just finished modifing my Morley, i put a DPDT switch in which swaps the resistor for R28, on the other on position i wired another resistor onto the other side with a trim for a custom in between range. My god does this wah sound the bomb now. Cant wait for my more mods.