Bobtavia's Spinal Tap ?

Started by petemoore, January 18, 2007, 05:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

Seems wired right enough, 2k2 from ground to gainpot and 22n and top switch lug, middle switch lug to white primary transformer wire, bottom switch lug to ground. Easy to see, checked it three times.
  Did I miss something? With the gainpot above 9.5 I get attenuated octave sound, all settings below 9 produce clicking, kind of like an LFO tick, med/fast speed, small speed change w/gain adjust.
  This one turned out great tho, Excellent Octave effect works wonders with Fuzz or Boost or.
  And it fired right up the first try !! Replacing two other octaves that couldn't keep octaving [for some strange reasons the Tycho and GR both went kaput in that PB position]. I don't feel such a strong need to debug either of them now, because Bob's doing a fine job there, very similar but 'purer' [than my T.O. or G.R. used to be] when driven to Purple Haze Fuzz induced nastiness. Does lots of ringer-ey wierd stuff too ! Kind of weak without a Fuzz in front or behind it, or a boost in front, just the way I like it !
  I'm just trying to figure out what the Spinal Tap mod is supposed to sound like.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

tungngruv

Hey Pete, when I used that mod, it made an arpeggiated note trail off similar to a SkyRipper or Fuzz Factory. You are right though, it really sounds good with a Fuzz right after it (amp side of the effects).

John Lyons

I was exited to try the spinal tap mod and after I did it I though it was a little lame! It basically oscilates at the tails of notes...

I like the bobtavia with a distorted amp or a fuzz after as well.

Another Fuzz Octave I really like is the "Octave Up Sick Box" by Gus Smalley. It has a strong octave (maybe a bit more than the Botavia) and has a nice thick and chunky fuzz as well. You can turn off the octave and get just the fuzz which is nice. Just lift on of the 33k resistors to ground. There is a sound sample here www.mrdwab.com/john/soundclipspage.com  Think the bob sample is on there as well.

John

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

petemoore

Further testing, too much oscillation, at times it's hard to get rid of it, sometimes turning off a Fuzz does it, sometimes no, flipping the STM switch and turning the dials seems to 'reset' the STM so that at full gain there's no oscillation.
  I couldn't replicate the tremolo depth this time though, it could have been the compressor ripple as that seemed to tremolo, just not at the previous trem depth.
  I'm thinking that 2k2 could use to be 2k8 or 3k3 [as it seems to be a feedback loop?] or so to tame the ocsillation.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.