1/8W resistor in stompboxes?

Started by Opencan, February 19, 2007, 09:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opencan

I've picked up from the street a malfunctioning 19" CTR screen, and couldn't fix it (the PCB got burnt).
Anyhow, I guess its chopping time :-)

It got a lot of various components, some I've never seen the likes of them, and uses mostly 1/8W resistors.
The question is, will they suit most stompboxes, or is a higher power rating is required?

I'm asking this because I got nothing that sucks solder and it makes it a pretty dirty work, so removing 100 1/8 resistors for nothing seems too much trouble if their going to the trash can.
I know some resistors have to be 1/4W and even 1/2W sometimes, but in normal 9V stompboxes I don't know how common is the need for over 1/8W per resistor.

And if anyone encounter a broken CTR screen and think of chopping it, there are TONS of diodes in that thing.

R.G.

1/8W will work fine for most stompbox uses.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

JonFrum

Where I live, a $10 permit is required for the town to pick up and recycle a video monitor. That's why they are constantly available on Craiglist for free. So the last one holding one loses the game.    :icon_mrgreen:

For the cost of resistors, even a scavenger like me wouldn't bother.

axeman010

QuoteFor the cost of resistors, even a scavenger like me wouldn't bother.

+ 1 Spend the time learning or building ! not worth the effort !

Axeman.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the english way

bancika

Quote from: axeman010 on February 19, 2007, 10:00:12 AM
QuoteFor the cost of resistors, even a scavenger like me wouldn't bother.

+ 1 Spend the time learning or building ! not worth the effort !

Axeman.

Agree :icon_rolleyes:
The new version of DIY Layout Creator is out, check it out here

petemoore

Them leads is too short..mostly.
  When Igottaghavva value now, I pull one and put a lead 'stretch' on it...hanging a loopended wire on the one end of the R, about 3'' long, get that fixed with solder, then bend the other end into place to solder, clip to separate the [now] two leads.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ronsonic

I forget how old I was before I figured out that:

A - you could just go into radio shack and they'd sell you a bag of clean resistors with straight long leads.
and
B - it was worth it.

It was long enough ago that you could walk into radio shack and the guy behind the counter knew what a resistor was and would select and bag them for you.

1/8th watt is fine in most pedals - which are generally lower current and voltage devices than any part of a CRT.

Ron
http://ronbalesfx.blogspot.com
My Blog of FX, Gear and Amp Services and DIY Info

jonathan perez

no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

Opencan

Yeh, if I had any electronics shop in my town I would have bought them... the closest shop in 200 miles away =_=
Shipping fees are terribly high to Israel from the US.

Until I'll go there and get some new components I'm going to the second hand market and chop stuff.
And I love chopping stuff up :-D

About the short legs, I'll manage something. I won't make whole circuits out of those parts, I'll use them to cover for parts I don't currently have.

Plus, I'm out of job currently and got TONS of spare time, so instead of wasting it on online games I'll put it to some (even if minor) profit.

Ronsonic

Sounds like you're doing the smart thing then. Enjoy and good luck.

Ron

christobean

if you have goodwill/salvation army stores in your area, check out back...they reveive so many donations that if something doesnt sell within a certain amount of time they will throw it away in the dumpster  8). taht would make it all profit for you since you would be gettin the stuff for free, as oposed to buyin from second hand stores(like i think you meant by 'going to the second hand market').

edit: just realized you arent located in the united states...i have no idea if they have the same type of stores in israel.

Opencan

Quote from: christobean on February 19, 2007, 02:53:21 PM
(like i think you meant by 'going to the second hand market').
I ment taking them off CRT monitors as said in the first post. "Second hand" as "used".

I've chopped some of it, and most capasitors are incredibly small (0.14 ohm to 400 ohm). I should just take apart things that I need instead of just chopping stuff around...

I'll find a nice schematic and see where to get the parts :)

By the way, how can I check if a transistor \ diode is fine? after just pulling them out using an iron I'll possible burn a few and I want to know how to validate them working.
And how can I tell what's a certain diode serial number?

Ronsonic

Hey, BoM. Noticed all the boards you used for examples are for wahs.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ron

jonathan perez

Quote from: Ronsonic on February 19, 2007, 10:05:45 PM
Hey, BoM. Noticed all the boards you used for examples are for wahs.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ron

its just about all i build.  :)
no longer the battle of midway...(i left that band)...

i hate signatures with gear lists/crap for sale....

i am a wah pervert...ask away...

col

I spent ages once pulling the components from an old tape player which were mostly 1/8watt resistors and small caps. I never used any of the resistors and very few of the caps so I'll never do that again!  :icon_sad: Broken low energy lightbulbs on the other hand have decent sized and useful components in them. All the ones I've dismantled have had 2 BD139 type transistors which make good fuzz face type circuits (BCE pinout!!!!), around a dozen 1N400x diodes, some smaller orange or blue diodes with no numbers, lots of useful value caps, some small value resistors and some inductors.  :icon_biggrin: They have all come apart very easily with a solder sucker so have taken next to no time to reclaim. I also pulled out broken answering machine apart last week as I was bored and got some good parts out of the speaker board in that including two LM386 ics and around a dozen transistors. The main board was all sm stuff so that stayed where it was.
Good luck if you do carry on recycling broken equipment into something more useful, I always take pleasure in seeing things re-used.
Col

Opencan

I've realised that 99% of the resistors in CRTs are really low values and practicly useless, but they have a bunch of usefull polarized caps (which go off pretty easly comparing to the resistors), tons of diodes that I don't know how usefull they will be in stompboxes, most ICs and transistors are useless, some variators that can be pretty usefull and really nice thick wires for guitar wiring and stuff like that.

I've took apart a few other things ment for the trash and found some LEDs and stuff.

Anyhow, I find it fun to destroy electronic devices :-D

From now I'm taking apart anything heading to trash that doesn't work :D

How can I find any information about a certain diode that got nothing on it? (how can i determain if its usefull or trash?)

idlechatterbox

QUOTE:
"I've took apart a few other things ment for the trash and found some LEDs and stuff.

Anyhow, I find it fun to destroy electronic devices :-D"

Maybe there's something therapuetic in the thought that it can't get any worse (since what you're tearing apart already doesn't work or you don't care if it ever does). Now if I could just get some of those x-ray glasses they used to sell in comic books, so I can look at something before I spend an hour tearing it apart, and know what I'm going to find inside. The other day all my scrounging produced was this array of LEDs, and I don't even use them in my projects. I was hoping for at least 1 transistor or a pf cap. Nope.  :P

Opencan

Thoes LED are something too...

It really doesn't take a hour to open something up. Not even 5 minutes. I use a good screwdriver and a good cutter and when it seems to be too slow the hammer waits aside.