Revised Kay Fuzz Tone schematic

Started by g3rmanium, April 01, 2007, 07:14:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

analogguru

The green circled resistor is the one in doubt.  if you compare it to the red circled resistor, you can see that its definitely a 10k.

Concerning the input filter:
If you look at the schematic of  the Ibanez Standard Fuzz (and clones like Bruno Fuzz Machine):

Ibanez Standard Fuzz Schematic

you will notice, that there is also no input-filter.

And don´t forget the 100n (C3) on the emitter of the first transistor (will produce less gain at lower frequencies) and the large value of 2n2 (C2) between collector and base of the first transistor (will reduce gain at higher frequencies) which is also acting like a bandpass-filter.

I assume that the Kay is an absolutely minimized version for the reason that they even did not use the base resistors (470 E or 1k) or a footswitch.  IMHO this is more a novelty.

Fender used in the Blender also a pot in the filter-section as a tone control.

analogguru

g3rmanium

Quote from: Jackie Treehorn on April 03, 2007, 01:46:40 PM
Here is a movie I made of the pedal in action.... http://theinside.net/misc/Kay Fuzz/Kay Fuzz.MPG

That sounds great. Like mine should sound like, I guess. Maybe I should record some clips as well.
Call me Johann.

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

g3rmanium

Call me Johann.

ustompsteve

On the schematic on my site that Spaceshot helped me with there is a 50k pot with a 200k resistor after it. I am pretty sure he got that from a real unit. Maybe some were different.

Any idea what moving the 2n2 C2 from between Q1 and Q2 to before Q1 would change? Also the changing of the 10k to 100k?

I will try and change mine in the next few days.

I really like the way mine sounds as is. That would be great if it ends up sounding even better.

--Steve

Jackie Treehorn

Thanks for the kind words guys.  I really like g3rmanium's clip, too.

I put 2n4401's in the octave section and I remember spending some time testing and matching to get a strong octave.  I think Lanois' pedal in "Orange Kay" has a pretty strong octave.  I am going to have to put a switch where Mark suggests to cut the octave.  Thanks for the tip.

It does look like a 10k.  I was more or less implying that it sounds better to me with the 2n4401 transistors to use a value in the 47k-100k range.  Sorry for the confusion!

Joe Kramer

. . .  I dig the way you do business, Jackie. . . .
Solder first, ask questions later.

www.droolbrothers.com

Dan N

Tip of the cap to Analogguru! I never noticed that cap was on Q1. I wonder how it affected the proper function of Q2, the phase splitter. Has every clone been f**ked from the get go?

Looks like they messed with the pot. 50K + a 200K resistor the begin with (original schematic and spaceshot's), them just went with 250K (Roger Lavallee and g3rmanium). I wonder which Sir HC has?

Argh!

Thanks again for your photos, g3rmanium and Sir H C! Thanks for the (hopefully) final schematic, analogguru!

g3rmanium

Quote from: Dan N on April 03, 2007, 09:07:30 PM
Looks like they messed with the pot. 50K + a 200K resistor the begin with (original schematic and spaceshot's), them just went with 250K (Roger Lavallee and g3rmanium). I wonder which Sir HC
has?

I measured the resistance between pin 1 and pin 2. With the pedal all the way up, it was around 8 KOhm. With the pedal all the way down it was close to zero. Maybe this helps? The treadle has a really short sweep anyway.
Call me Johann.

ustompsteve

I updated the schematic and layout on the http://ustomp.com site with the updates/changes.

I left the 50k pot w/ the 200k resistor. This could be replaced with a 250k pot and a jumper depending on which way you want to go.

--steve

Dragonfly

you might try doing a layout utilizing a transistor array like the CA3086

Arn C.

I like your thinking Dragonfly!  I have a few of those IC's!!!!

Peace!
Arn C.

Sir H C

Quote from: Dragonfly on April 04, 2007, 11:31:59 PM
you might try doing a layout utilizing a transistor array like the CA3086

Great for places where you need a matched pair (such as the octave devices).

burningman

I have a couple of questions, that I thought maybe someone could answer. First, which would you say is more suitable for this project, a log or linear pot? Right now I am using a 100k Crybaby hot potz ecb24. I was also wondering what audible difference should there be when I drop the 200k resistor for a 150k to make up the 250k resistance to ground with the 100k hot potz? I've tried this already but haven't heard any difference.
Thanks

roseblood11

Hi,

could anybody post a verified layout please? some of the links in this thread are dead...

roseblood11

ups, I meant to say "veroboard layout"... Of course I know the pcb layout on ustomp.com

pinkjimiphoton

Quote from: analogguru on April 03, 2007, 11:47:58 AM
QuoteSo the fuzz is controlled by the wah pedal?

@mattpocket
this is a pedal, not a "wah-pedal"... a wah-pedal is a pedal which produces a wah-sound.

The fuzz is not controlled by the pedal, only the output volume of the fuzz (and the tone-color a bit).

analogguru

incorrect, the treadle controls the TONE of the fuzztone. thats it. sorry to bump a zombie, but i see so much misinfo spread around...
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr

Mark Hammer

Kay did that just to mess with our heads.

pinkjimiphoton

its still workin ;)

i LOVE my ancient and venerable kay fuzztone. it was my first. it lead me to the big muff pi that totally changed my life. until the fuzzface came along ;)

lol

analog guru seems to have pretty much disappeared.
mine, it changes the tone only, and not the volume or fuzz level as alleged.
the first one i got was the same.  so.....

black cat has an interesting twist on this circuit, but i think they went under.
  • SUPPORTER
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
Slava Ukraini!
"try whacking the bejesus outta it and see if it works again"....
~Jack Darr