My =ultimate= multi-fx pedalboard...W.I.P

Started by Auke Haarsma, April 14, 2007, 06:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auke Haarsma

Thanks for the kind comments! I'll sure keep you posted.

I'm not sure what 'clad' means, but if it refers to the thickness of the copper I used, it is: 35um.

Thepilot

sorry- my bad on the clunky wording.

I was actually interested in what brand of board you use and where you get them.  mine are dull brown and just generally ugly, I want pretty boards like those.

Auke Haarsma

Auke Haarsma

The Dr. Boogey has been added to this project.... (I can handle 6 extra knobs... :P ), a pic of the populated PCB with the SHO next to it:

Thanks to Gaussmarkov for his nice layout. I'm curious to see how this circuit performs noise-wise when put together with so many others circuits in one enclosure... This effect complets my OD/Dist spectrum. I think I'll have everything covered from low OD to High Gain.

The first prototypes of the switches and channel_selectors are finished:

channel selection: 3 positions (middle position unused). Left: channel A, right: Channel B. A led indicates which channel is used.
After checking this one (it works!) I considered it too big. I need like 17 (seventeen!) of these. The pictured version has a width over 5 cm. That's too much. I redesigned it and now it's just a bit wider than the rotary switch (about 3 cm). When using this large number of switches reducing size really pays off! Now I can keep within my previously set size-limits.

FX On/Off switch. This is a Millenium 2 Bypass (thanks to RG), with a bright blue led.

These are the redesigned pcb's of the channel_selection and the fx on/off swithces (and a unpopulated dr boogey ;) ).... a nice pile of PCB's.

At the time of the pic these where undrilled. Right now they have been drilled.

All parts are getting finished... it's about time to put all the pieces together.

I'll keep you guys and ladies posted!

GREEN FUZ

This is a great project. I`m sure I`m not the only one who has enjoyed charting its progress. Keep up the good work.

Auke Haarsma

tranceracer

Whew!  I'm glad this project didn't fizzle out and run out of gas, like many of my po' l'il projects!  ((;
Looking fwd to the final build!  Keep up the great work!

-tR

cheeb

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: cheeb on September 30, 2007, 11:53:25 AM
Any updates on this?

Thanks for asking! I encountered some probs on the switches I used, as described in this thread:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=61462.0

Seems the problem has been identified and now I can start finishing and testing the switches.

I've also run in to some probs with my powersupply. I made my own, which was fed with a Laptop psu. I don't really understand why, but it wasn't stable. Putting the pt80 on it caused the output voltage to drop like 4V...that made it unusable....weird, since it should be able to handle 16V up to 3 amps...

So I decided to build my own PSU, with transformers and stuff. I have no experience with these things, so I needed to read up on them. I have ordered the parts (expected to have them yesterday....guess I have to be more patient). 2x18v AC, 4x9V AC, which will be filtered and rectified to 2x 18V DC, 3x9V DC and 1x -9V DC. One 9V group will be dedicated to the LEDS of the switches and channel selectors. I hope this helps in keeping pops and stuff away from the effects-line.

I've been able to test the PT80 and it worked. Really nice delay, recommended build!

I hope to be able to report some more progress and pics in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned ;)

Valoosj

Pong, 18 november in Almere, een meeting met een 100tal andere gitaarmaniakken uit de lage landen. zegt het je niets?
www.gitaarnet.nl forums maar eens bekijken ;) je ding zou er veel aandacht krijgen
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

cheeb

Quote from: ponq on September 30, 2007, 12:54:08 PM
So I decided to build my own PSU, with transformers and stuff. I have no experience with these things, so I needed to read up on them. I have ordered the parts (expected to have them yesterday....guess I have to be more patient). 2x18v AC, 4x9V AC, which will be filtered and rectified to 2x 18V DC, 3x9V DC and 1x -9V DC. One 9V group will be dedicated to the LEDS of the switches and channel selectors. I hope this helps in keeping pops and stuff away from the effects-line.

Still sounds awesome, man. You should be really proud of it after putting this much into it. I can't wait until it's finished.

Auke Haarsma

Quote from: Valoosj on September 30, 2007, 03:52:32 PM
Pong, 18 november in Almere, een meeting met een 100tal andere gitaarmaniakken uit de lage landen. zegt het je niets?
www.gitaarnet.nl forums maar eens bekijken ;) je ding zou er veel aandacht krijgen

Hi Valoosj. Yeah, I do know about the GN-meeting (I'm also 'ponq' at GN). Sounds like a good idea...when it's finished. I hope it will be finished, but I'm picky about the quality of the unit. It has to be good. My first plans where to have it finished early June, so I could use it during our studiorecording sessions.... I dind't make that... :P So we will see.

Quote from: cheeb on September 30, 2007, 07:35:02 PM
Still sounds awesome, man. You should be really proud of it after putting this much into it. I can't wait until it's finished.
Thanks Cheeb!

Valoosj

I had no idea  ;D

Have you seen my G&L guitar? I finished it in the midst of my finals. 4 months overdue, and bad exam results due to this  :P

Still happy with her though. I'm bringing her along. Hope to see your pedalboard there as well. It's looking good. But I would go for a plexi top as mentioned before
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Auke Haarsma

(update)

While listening to the amazing new Radiohead record "In Rainbows" I finished the footswitches:

(the 3 in front have the LEDs in, the others not. Because I don't know the thickness of the enclosure-wood yet, I don't know how tall the LEDs will need to be. That's why the haven't been soldered in place yet.)

Quite a bunch he!  :icon_wink: 16 in total. I have some 3PDT's that will be used to for other switching options. The DPDT's are meant to be used to switch the effects and fx-loops on/off.

All 16 have been tested and work! RG's bypass for the win! Took me some troubleshooting before I got them all to work (some BS170's died in the process...).

Next up are the Channel Selection rotary switches. Another 16 or so of them. A bit more soldering work, less debugging. After that the powersupply. When that's finished I can work on the layout of the fx, switches and wires.

Auke Haarsma

Over three thousand five hundred views....unbelievable!  :icon_redface: :icon_redface:

Thanks to the board for showing that much interest in this project. It's really encouraging to keep going on.

Sadly can't do much this weekend (family weekend...), but I got to half way with the rotary switches.

stay tuned ;)

Shepherd

Quote from: ponq on September 30, 2007, 12:54:08 PM
I've also run in to some probs with my powersupply. I made my own, which was fed with a Laptop psu. I don't really understand why, but it wasn't stable.

Quote from: R.G. on April 02, 2007, 11:01:35 AM
Quote from: R.G.Laptop power supplies are NOT designed to supply clean power to audio pedals.

Switching style power supplies are intended to provide a lot of power, usually to digital circuits which don't care if there's 5-10% ripple on the power supply. Audio circuits with no power supply rejection will sing at the power supply ripple frequency, and may heterodyne the ripple back down into the audio band if the ripple is above audio.

Auke Haarsma

I was aware of that. The Laptop PSU was not connected directly to the FX, but via a filtering circuit to take care of the ripples. The problem was not (as far as I can see) ripples, but a sudden loss of Voltage.

the_random_hero

Quote from: ponq on October 18, 2007, 04:24:35 AM
I was aware of that. The Laptop PSU was not connected directly to the FX, but via a filtering circuit to take care of the ripples. The problem was not (as far as I can see) ripples, but a sudden loss of Voltage.

Was the laptop PSU running directly through the filtering circuit, then straight to your pedals? The filtering circuit could have been drawing a lot of current (as capacitors tend to do when you first turn the power on) and causing all sorts of problems. Did you try running it into a regulator, then onto the circuit?
Completed Projects - Modded DS1, The Stiffy, Toaster Ruby, Octobooster Mk. II, Pedal Power Supply

Auke Haarsma

I ran it into a big cap 470 uF IIRC and a 100 ohm resistor. Then I had several 78l12's and 78l09's. So after those regulators there came another cap (smaller, like 47 uF) and then it went to an effect.

C.A.E.