"best" input caps for switchable rangemaster boost

Started by hendriko, November 19, 2007, 01:29:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hendriko

so im planning on building a switchable rangemaster boost (getting an ac30 sooon) and i was wondering what the best, say most effective input caps  would be
i want mid, treble, and full boost, maybe even the ones in between (to make it a 5way)

cheers in advance
Gimme gimme shock treatment.

DougH

Why bother asking? What is it, 9 or 10 components?

Put it on a breadboard and try different values until you find something you like. If you have not ordered your caps yet, order a wide assortment so you can experiment.
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

hendriko

why do the best ideas not come from me all the time

im gonna do that, definitely

whats a good "lowest" value to start by though..i mean i can get as low as 1pf, but would that DO anything?

DougH

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

hendriko

Jim Jones

I personally wouldn't go any smaller than the stock value of .0047.  You don't want all the dogs in the neighbourhood outside your door, do you?  :)  I have one with just a 2-way switch to go between a .0047 and a .01 for more Sabbath-y tones.  In my experience the larger the input cap the less it sounds like a Rangemaster.

Like Doug said, just experiment with what sounds best to you.

Jim 

hendriko

that would be kinda cool though...the dogmaster  :P

well, i want it to be switchable from treble (=rangemaster) to mid to full boost at least

hairyandy

Quote from: Jim Jones on November 19, 2007, 01:54:24 PM
I personally wouldn't go any smaller than the stock value of .0047.  You don't want all the dogs in the neighbourhood outside your door, do you?  :)  I have one with just a 2-way switch to go between a .0047 and a .01 for more Sabbath-y tones.  In my experience the larger the input cap the less it sounds like a Rangemaster.

Like Doug said, just experiment with what sounds best to you.

Jim 

This is exactly what I do.  IMO anything larger than .02 or so starts to sound pretty crappy with the RM circuit.  I built my personal one with just the .01 because I find myself using that sound the most.

Andy
Andy Harrison
It's all about signal flow...
Hairyandy's Layout Gallery

d95err

I wouldn't recommend going all the way up to a full range boost. I tried that on mine, and it just sounded farty. You really need to remove at least some bass before the gain stage in this circuit. For a full range (clean) boost, it's better to build a completely different circuit (e.g. the AMZ Mosfet Boost).

I'd recommend using 3 values that are fairly close together e.g stock value, 2x stock and 3x stock. That will give you subtly different but useful settings. But, feel free to experiment! Why not put a sockets in for the switchable caps so you can quickly try different values.

A booster like this is such a simple circuit you could easily build two (e.g. dirty booster and clean booster) and put in the same box.

hendriko

oh, its gonna be in the same box with a 69clone, and maybe even a tone stack, so i dont really wanna put another circuit in there :P

birt

mine has a rotary switch with:
0.001, 0.0022, 0.0047, 0.01, 0.022, 0.047, 0.1, 2.2 and 22uF
all sound really different. if i had to leave some out i would start at 0.0047 instead of 0.001
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!