Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tranceracer

Thanks Krinor!
Great suggestion for the middle knob.  That graphic actually came out that way by accident.  Originally it was supposed to be color.  The gory details are on the "Pictures!" thread.   :D

This was just a prototype so you'll also notice an extra hole on the side.   :icon_rolleyes:

The next one will be much cleaner (I hope) :icon_wink:

Krinor

Put a switch in the extra hole to turn the sweepable filter on or off !   :icon_mrgreen:
Then sell it on ebay for loads of $$  :icon_twisted:

cuberius

Is there any way to mod the Valvecaster so it sounds good with an active bass guitar?
I'd love to build this stuff, but I would also like to use it.  :icon_wink:

Renegadrian

Quote from: brett on March 11, 2008, 02:06:19 AM
Hi
that tone control may need a buffer before it, and (especially) a buffer after it.  JFET buffers are simple and effective (4 parts!)
cheers

Ok - what about my other question - how do I get rid of the tone control? Shall I have to leave out only C4 or both C3 and C4 (and the pot, obviously...)?
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

tranceracer

Looking at the dual tube schematic, the stage between the two tubes, only C4 and VR2 are removed.

Quote from: dano12 on January 05, 2008, 04:36:19 PM
here's a rough, unverified splice of the schematic showing two tube stages:

Caferacernoc

C3 stays. That's a DC blocking capacitor. It has nothing to do with the tone control. Just remove C4 and the pot.

kurtlives

Its a very basic crude tone control.... And that does not make it bad, so don't read it like that.

I just built one of these....I am thinking if I build another one I will throw in a Fender tone-stack.
My DIY site:
www.pdfelectronics.com

Renegadrian

All right, thx for your explaination...I know it's just a basic tone, it might be a little useful or not...I'd like to try my next one without...

Also,I don't know how it sounds with active bass (don't own one) but sounds quite good with a passive one (maybe a littlle dark for my taste, but it's ok).

cuberius

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 11, 2008, 07:38:24 PM
Also,I don't know how it sounds with active bass (don't own one) but sounds quite good with a passive one (maybe a littlle dark for my taste, but it's ok).

Allright then. That's gonna be my next build. Thanks! :)

p.s. could you record some samples?... TIA  :icon_mrgreen:

Renegadrian

Haven't got the bass at disposal (left it in my drummer's garage) so no samples...

Anyway, here's another 12V tube project...
http://paia.com/manuals/docs/9305-tubehead-manual.pdf

Salvatore

Quote from: Renegadrian on March 12, 2008, 12:42:02 PM
Haven't got the bass at disposal (left it in my drummer's garage) so no samples...

The voltage from the Tubehead is multiplied to 42 volts.

Renegadrian

Quote from: Salvatore on March 12, 2008, 02:05:55 PM
Quote from: Renegadrian on March 12, 2008, 12:42:02 PM

The voltage from the Tubehead is multiplied to 42 volts.

Uh, didn't notice, my italian (I guess...) comrade...BTW it gets its power from an usual 12V wall wart...So it's a 12V project!!! :icon_wink:

Salvatore

Ok, :icon_lol:
I heard some positive things about the tubehead and with a few extra components it can be made into a mic pre as well.
At Tapeop there is an article with some mods to upgrade it for better specs.
Beware that the 12V wall wart is AC though, making a + -15V supply a bit like used in the Shaka Tube, an other very interesting low voltage overdrive.

ambulancevoice

i wonder what 3 of these in series would be like????
power 12v and heaters 12v
Open Your Mouth, Heres Your Money

Krinor

Okay, since nobody has posted soundclips of this thing yet, I thought I'd give it a shot. Apart from the obvious crappy playing I guess those who wonder how it actually sounds will at least get an idea.  :icon_redface:

http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/Krinor/Valvecaster+soundclip.mp3.html

tranceracer

Sounds good and bright!  Did you mod it to get it to be more trebbly?  Mine sounds more warm which work really well with rig.

Here's another sound clip buried on page 3 somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdcORgmfPl4

I'm hoping to put a sound clip of how my Matsumin sounds with my rig up soon just don't have time to make the recording right now.

Can I upload videos to the gallery or only sound clips?

culturejam

Very nice, Krinor!

I've got some tube sockets on order, and I'm building this bad boy as soon as they arrive.  :icon_mrgreen:

forsakenrider

I found this Tuesday night and built it 24 hours later!!!!! Finished and debugged it last night, but It was too late to really rock out.
I need more gain, tonight Im going to change the plate resistors I think, any sudgested values???

Anyway, heres some pics of the first one. Next I will build a dual 6111 with the heaters in series powered off my 12.6 custom regulated wall wart.
(Needs a stompin switch, gotta order some)

Krinor

Quote from: tranceracer on March 13, 2008, 02:36:35 PM
Sounds good and bright!  Did you mod it to get it to be more trebbly?  Mine sounds more warm which work really well with rig.

The reason why it sounds bright is that I have the tone control all the way on the treble side, and I've got a Jensen P8R (8") in my amp. The recording is done on a digital Boss recorder - that too makes things brighter than normal.

Edit: Nice shots there Forsakenrider. Welcome to the forum.  :icon_biggrin:

Renegadrian

forsakenrider and culturejam, welcome in the VALVECASTER fan club...I made one a month ago, but still it has some issues, mainly it has that "unregulated power" hiss...That annoys me so much, I have to put a 7812 inside that box...So up till then, no recordings or official pics

Kristian, nice sample track here... :icon_wink: