Tube boost + overdrive running off a 9 volt battery

Started by dano12, December 11, 2007, 07:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frequencycentral

Excellent work Jimmy H. I'm currently working on another Valvecaster with the tube mounted in a similar way to yours.

The Pepper Shredder is on my list - I'll use 6111's - i've been able to confirm that two 6111 heaters in parallel will run on 12 volts.

Which input caps do you have available by that switch - and can you describe the variations?

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

Jimmy-H

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 24, 2008, 08:52:13 PM
Nice work...Want to listen to some clips!!! And maybe some detailed info about your pedal, the circuit, the components used, the PCB, etc...

Hi Renegardian,

Thanks...
Most of it is discriped a few pages ago : http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=63479.420
PCB, layout (a page further) and the schemo of Tube Town.

The only things I added was a Fender-like tone stack.

And the orange input selector:

These caps were soldered directly on the 6-way switch

It's prettymuch standerd stuff 0.5 watt resisters, filmcaps etc.
And not to forget 12U7 tubes.
Links to soundfiles were posted back then (only with more common 12au7 tubes).
It sounds very similar to mine.

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 24, 2008, 09:08:15 PM
Excellent work Jimmy H. I'm currently working on another Valvecaster with the tube mounted in a similar way to yours.

The Pepper Shredder is on my list - I'll use 6111's - I've been able to confirm that two 6111 heaters in parallel will run on 12 volts.

Which input caps do you have available by that switch - and can you describe the variations?

Thanks again frequencycentral ,

The switch is very usefull with different guitars.
It filters more or less bass-signals at the input.
I'm also thinking about to make the tonestack switchable.

And 12 volts for two 6111-tubes work great.
I'll like to hear from your 6111-pepper shredder!
Keep us posted!!!

Renegadrian

Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Jimmy-H

Darkness, Darkness

Quote from: Jimmy-H on May 24, 2008, 05:57:56 PM

VERY nice job !!!!!  :) The blue led idea is killing !

(May I take the opportunity of this post to ask if anybody know were I can get some tube socket adapted for 6111 tubes ? Thanks!)

Jimmy-H

[quote author=Darkness, Darkness link=topic=63479.msg544368#msg544368 date=121175034

(May I take the opportunity of this post to ask if anybody know were I can get some tube socket adapted for 6111 tubes ? Thanks!)

[/quote]

Hi Darkness,

I used a 8-pin ic-socket, just like Dano had written before.
This works very well.
Just cut the leads and bent it a little.

This is wat Dano wrote:
<edit: also found a potentially great way to mount those flying lead wires: use an 8-pin DIP socket as seen here: http://www.geocities.com/koalavilla/images/audio/pencil_pre_10.jpg >

Darkness, Darkness

Thank Jimmy-H ! Good idea, very clever I must say. I'll try this. Maybe just check for a model where I can be sure the tubes won't move (when moving the stombox for example) 

frequencycentral

Quote from: Darkness, Darkness on May 25, 2008, 05:46:53 PM
Maybe just check for a model where I can be sure the tubes won't move (when moving the stombox for example) 

6111 tubes are designed to be soldered (or welded) directly to the board. You could try this. I did this with my Subcaster.

Renegadrian

What about those...
http://www.scame.com/images/serie/mor001.jpg
or those used in audio amps...
http://www.quasarelectronics.com/images/3000/3047.jpg
The valve's wires could be hooked with one of the above, maybe...

frequencycentral

I'm currently woking on a LPB-1/Valvecaster pedal and I've come up with a neat way to mount the tube inside the enclosure:

I considered all sorts of other ways: bolting the tube socket to the side of the enclosure, mounting it using a bent bit of metal etc.

This way works really well. I used fibreglass perf, which is really tough, and drilled/filed a hole big enough for the socket. The socket is actually soldered to the board after using wire to secure it in place. The resulting board JUST fits the enclosure. The pot/circuit to the left is the LPB, the pot to the right is the Valvecaster volume.

I'll be using two stomp switches - one to use the LPB to boost, the other to bypass both circuits.

Renegadrian

Great pic, Rick...Just 2 Qs..

1) What kind and size of enclosure are you going to use?
2) LPB+Valvy=didn't try myself (but I'll do, as I have one LPB lying around...) - but IMO the Valvy is not treble screaming, and LPB is famous for being on the bass side...So how do they sound togheter? Aren't they too much on the bass side? Can this couple give some decent highs?

Jimmy-H

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 06:56:17 AM
I'm currently woking on a LPB-1/Valvecaster pedal and I've come up with a neat way to mount the tube inside the enclosure:

I considered all sorts of other ways: bolting the tube socket to the side of the enclosure, mounting it using a bent bit of metal etc.

This way works really well. I used fibreglass perf, which is really tough, and drilled/filed a hole big enough for the socket. The socket is actually soldered to the board after using wire to secure it in place. The resulting board JUST fits the enclosure. The pot/circuit to the left is the LPB, the pot to the right is the Valvecaster volume.

I'll be using two stomp switches - one to use the LPB to boost, the other to bypass both circuits.

Hi frequencycentral

Looks good!
It's funny, because my Subcaster looks almost the same.
Eeeeh we are on the same frequency isn't it!!

Only I made a PCB.
In this way you have very few wires.
I drilled a whole under the IC socket for the 6111 tube.
To mount a led the same way as my Indian pedal.
I'll see if I can place a picture tonight!

But I still have to box it in......in time.....

frequencycentral

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 26, 2008, 07:16:28 AM
Great pic, Rick...Just 2 Qs..

1) What kind and size of enclosure are you going to use?
2) LPB+Valvy=didn't try myself (but I'll do, as I have one LPB lying around...) - but IMO the Valvy is not treble screaming, and LPB is famous for being on the bass side...So how do they sound togheter? Aren't they too much on the bass side? Can this couple give some decent highs?

The enclosure is a Hammond (Eddystone) 3907 (120x95x30) - from my local Maplin: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ModuleNo=43713&doy=26m5

As for the sound - it's what your ears enjoy! You have a Valvy and an LPB-2 (same as the LPB-1, EH just put it in a different box) - hook them up! I've been using my other Valvy with my LPB and really enjoy it - maybe there's a place for 'dark' in my guitar sound and on my pedalboard! I have a range of fuzz/overdrive/distortion to choose from now (I'm also working on the fuzz section of the Colorsound Fuzzwah, using vintage BC107's), it's nice to vary it a bit.

Quote from: Jimmy-H on May 26, 2008, 08:22:07 AM

Hi frequencycentral

Looks good!
It's funny, because my Subcaster looks almost the same.
Only I made a PCB.
In this way you have very few wires.
I drilled a whole under the IC socket for the 6111 tube.
To mount a led the same way as my Indian pedal.
I'll see if I can place a picture tonight!

But I still have to box it in......in time.....

Thanks Jimmy. Great minds think alike......!

As for boxing stuff up - since I joined this forum my builds take longer - this is because you guys make some great looking pedals, and now it's not good enough for me to just get the electronics right - so I have to wait wait wait - for paint to dry, for decals to dry, for varnish to dry etc!

Renegadrian

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 08:30:13 AM

You have a Valvy and an LPB-2 (same as the LPB-1, EH just put it in a different box) - hook them up!

I did, Rick...But my ears tell me I personally don't like the Valvy with the LPB - it sounds muddy and "fuzzy" to my ears, and there is no shine at all...I did my test with my toneless Valvy and the LPB2 trying with 2N5088 and BC108.

I really love to put a Tillman in front of my Valvies, it adds a little push and some shine...So it sounds more "complete" to my ears...It adds some highs that the Valvy alone hasn't got...

But hey that's the beauty of tastes, both yours and mine are ok, as long as it sounds good to the ears!!!  :icon_wink:
Isn't it?!?

frequencycentral

Quote from: Renegadrian on May 26, 2008, 09:06:04 AM
I did my test with my toneless Valvy and the LPB2 trying with 2N5088 and BC108.

I have BC547 in mine - too much hfe???

Renegadrian

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 09:25:28 AM
Quote from: Renegadrian on May 26, 2008, 09:06:04 AM
I did my test with my toneless Valvy and the LPB2 trying with 2N5088 and BC108.

I have BC547 in mine - too much hfe???

Well, BC547 is supposed to be the ol' BC107 with more gain...
Anyway, I don't think it's a GAIN thing, but a tonal response of the circuit itself...
Too "bassy"...Not my cup of tea indeed...

Jimmy-H

Hi frequencycentral ,

Here it is my: 6111-Subcaster.
You can see some resemblance with your design.
My idea was also a simple way of mounting the whole thing with the pots.

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 08:30:13 AM
As for boxing stuff up - since I joined this forum my builds take longer - this is because you guys make some great looking pedals, and now it's not good enough for me to just get the electronics right - so I have to wait wait wait - for paint to dry, for decals to dry, for varnish to dry etc!

There your totally right!!!!

Quote from: Darkness, Darkness on May 25, 2008, 05:46:53 PM

Thank Jimmy-H ! Good idea, very clever I must say. I'll try this. Maybe just check for a model where I can be sure the tubes won't move (when moving the stombox for example) 
As you can see darkness, the tube is mounted in a IC-socket.
It is sturdy enough when you move the stompbox !

frequencycentral

Quote from: Jimmy-H on May 26, 2008, 05:56:30 PM
Hi frequencycentral ,

Here it is my: 6111-Subcaster.
You can see some resemblance with your design.
My idea was also a simple way of mounting the whole thing with the pots.

Superb work Jimmy - it does look similar to mine! I tend to go for mounting the pots onto the circuit board whenever possible - cuts down off-board wiring and its an easy way to mount the board in the enclosure too! I did similar for my MXR Distortion+, which meant the board had to be only 18x8 holes - ultra compact - but also very pleasing. Also recently did an LPB for a friend this way, the board was 8x7 holes.

I love your blue LEDs too!

Jimmy-H

Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 10:00:00 PM

Superb work Jimmy - it does look similar to mine! I tend to go for mounting the pots onto the circuit board whenever possible - cuts down off-board wiring and its an easy way to mount the board in the enclosure too! I did similar for my MXR Distortion+, which meant the board had to be only 18x8 holes - ultra compact - but also very pleasing. Also recently did an LPB for a friend this way, the board was 8x7 holes.
Thanks Frequencycentral,

I also did a few boards that way, it's also a bit of a challenge to fit the components in such a small space.
Quote from: frequencycentral on May 26, 2008, 10:00:00 PM

I love your blue LEDs too!

Thanks again, a great way of feeling blue!

Renegadrian

Here is my third Valvy, I also posted it in the Pictures thread...

Again, it has some slight differences from the original circuit I layed out

* I raised the R1 and R2 values - R1 = 2.2M | R2 = 390K
* This time I used a electr. cap for C3, as in the original Dano schem - a normal cap works too BTW
* I tried a bigger value for the GAIN pot - 250k - but it wasn't just right...I changed back to the original value...
* Again, NO useless tone control...And NO LED. Staight tube power.