Let's see those pedalboards!!

Started by DanielWong, January 04, 2008, 11:42:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanjdenaro

Hi All,

My first post!

I too have a laptop-bag setup.  I actually made the board first, and then later realized it was a perfect fit for an old laptop bag that I already had.  The board is made from two pieces of laminate wood flooring "snapped" together lengthwise and screwed into some hand-cut angled boards on the side.  It's a bit hack, but it's actually pretty strong and very light weight and only as big as necessary  :icon_smile:   

G. Hoffman

Not a whole lot of DIY on here - a mark IV Tone Bender clone, and a couple MIDI splitters/buffers of my own design (nothing tough, just a spec MIDI input and a buffer chip - it's all right out of the MIDI spec, and all I did was draw up the board).  Between the two boards there are 5 Voodoo labs power supplies, which is absurd. 

Most of it is pretty conventional, chain wise, though everything is MIDI switched.  Dry amp stuff goes through a couple of Voodoo Lab Hex switchers, and a Shur buffer isolates the dry amp with a very nice transformer. 

The most interesting part is the wet amp stuff, which starts with a pair of RJM Mini Effects Gizmos (MEG) in stereo.  After switching the TC Chorus, those send in parallel to the left and right Carbon Copy's, the Flashback II (in mono, for now, but going to both sides), and the Timeline.  Those delays are all wet only, and get combined with a dry send from the MEG's by an RJM Mini Line Mixer.  Out from there to the Volante, RV-500 and the Vertigo tremolo. 

The only other kinda unique thing is the Disaster Area Smart Clock, which sends MIDI clock to keep every thing in sync, when I want it.  Oh, and I have a MIDI controlled volume before the Shur Buffer, but after all the gain stuff, and then a wet volume pedal right before the looper, and then everything goes out through the Goodwood Output TX, which handles isolation, buffering, and phase for the wet amps. 

If you are assuming it is good for ambient stuff, you are right.  If you are assuming that's all it does, you are very wrong.

Gabriel

Chahmann

Quote from: differo on December 22, 2010, 02:54:25 AM
@Willybomb - what's inside Biyang reverb?? what are they using for reverberation? I'm really curious:)

Apparently they use a chip of which I only found datasheets in chinese, part of the info is in Latin letters, it's the BDNC BD3201-14a. it is a reverb engine, probably can be used as a chorus and delay, and actually Biyang only uses the "hall, spring, room"options and it has a lot more, http://www.datasheet-pdf.com/PDF/BD3201-14A-Datasheet-BDNC-785911 I'm actually trying to mod a RV-12 but havent found much info, theres also a chip that has no label, completely blank, seems like a clock or maybe even another delay module like the PT2399, not sure, uses 3 OPAMPs a transistor, maybe for output, not sure, and two other ICs...will post pics of the guts... i would looooove to override the main engine and make it do more stuff, but dont know anything about that, i originally wanted to add bass because it seems to drop a little bit of body out of the main input, but i was thinking if adding a capacitor in the "wrong" place i think it will add sustain or distortion on top of adding bass frequencies so im really thinking about stuff here.

FiveseveN

The lockdown finally gave me time to update my pedalboard:

And since Hackaday is running a new competition, I started a comprehensive write-up on their project reference platform: https://hackaday.io/project/171661-zero-budget-pedalboard
Quote from: R.G. on July 31, 2018, 10:34:30 PMDoes the circuit sound better when oriented to magnetic north under a pyramid?

analogMensch

This is my Pedalboard, no really big changes over the last years.

It starts with the volume pedal, it's the basic Rocktron HEX volume/expression pedal. I only used it as a volume pedal, so I removed the expression socket after a few years and replaced it with a minimum volume pot. Now the volume goes from full on down the the leven you set with the pot.

Next thing in the signal chain (down right) is a simple opamp buffer, a linear nearly boost (just adds a bit low end) and the channel section for the amp in one box.
The buffer is on most of the time, cause about thirteen meters of cable is a long way! There's a switch, but I not really turn it off.
The booster is a nice thing for some bluesy licks and thicker tones, and also a great addon for the other drives.
The channel selection is...yeah, just a basic channel selection, nothing more. I don't want a single small box with a button, so I added it to the box.

The next thing (down left) is a combination of overdrive and distortion, distortion comes first.
The distortion is a really harsh and fuzzy thing, but with not too much gain. A real basic fuzz circuit with a BC327-40 and a BC547B. It can be really loud und heavy, but I tend to run it on lower levels.
The overdrive is a classic TS9 on 18 volts (like everything on this board).

From the lower row it goes to the upper row, to the upper left box. This is a mute, A/B or insert box. It all depends on if you plug something in and what jack you use. It's an insert loop with a true bypass switch and a switching TRS socket.
If nothing is plugged in, it's just a simple mute box, so you can kill your signal what goes out to the amp.
With a TS plug it's a A/B box, you can choose between the amp output and the output on the special socket (like on the photo, I recorded some acoustic guitar through the DI box).
With a TRS plug it turns into an effect loop. With basic pinout, tip for send and ring for return.

The blank box on the upper right is patch box for everything. Amp out with a simple TS socket, channel switching with a TRS socket. My amp have the channel on the ring and the solo on the tip, but I don't use the solo. I also have short tip/ring exchange adapter and a TRS/TS adapter in my gig bag, if I need to play on other amps.
The Power supply connection is a 3 pin XLR. Yeah, I struggled a lot with "What happens if someone think that's a mic connection?" I decided to put the female socket on the pedal board, so no one will think it's a DI out or something like that. And if someone accidently plug the mic to an unpowered pedal board...yeah, absolutly nothing willl happen.
I feed the box with 24Vdc from the power supply, and the voltage regulation brings it down to 18Vdc. So if I lost one or two volts on the way from the power supply to the box, it doesn't really care. The two red LEDs on the side show the state of the 24V and the 18V. And yes, I also have an adapter from XLR to the basic 5.5/2.1mm socket, if I need to use another power supply. My supply never left me alone for all these years, but it's always nice to have the option.

Power consumption is about 100mA, cause the LEDs are always on. They only change the color from blue to red, if I turn on something. For me this is the easiest way to overlook the whole thing.

And yeah, it's a boost, a drive channel, a drive and another drive...cause.........it's punkrock! :icon_mrgreen: No big special sounds, just loudness in different ways :)

kaycee

Having had my gear in storage for nearly a year, getting it out again was of course an excuse to go through a multitude of combinations to set up a board. This is what I've ended up with for this board ( I have 2 others, a Hendrix type set-up and a more fuzz/noise oriented one - yet to complete). this one is for classic rock, blues and a bit of shoegaze type stuff.

Signal Chain is: Boss FA1 clone (always on), standard Vox GCB95 Crybabay, Dynacomp clone (Keeley mods), Workhorse (Harald Sabro's Klone a like),Champion Fuzz (B&M Champion Fuzz/Tonebender clone), Guyatone Chorus Box (CE 2 clone I think?), Phazex (Coloursound Phazex/P90 with mods probably suggested by Mark H), Digitech, Obscura Delay and finally Bajamans' Trembulator optical Tremolo.

Power supply is a Nordel Audio Powercore, there is a 12v gate unused, so maybe squeeze something else on. Home use only, don't gig anymore so the set-up isn't critical for tap dancing blind. I'll tidy the leads and make correct length patch cords now that I have finalised the set up.