another skyripper thread !!

Started by 1878, June 28, 2008, 07:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hello Everyone.

I've decided the Skyripper is gonna be my next build. I've seen a few different versions/configurations knocking about, and I was wondering what your preferrences are ?? Have you gone for six footswitches, three and three, effects loop or no etc. There'll have probably been pros and cons to all the decisions you made. Any info gladly appreciated.

Also, will the finished article be able to be run on my effects daisy chain ?? + or - ground. I'm stil learning and that's one thing I always get confused with  ???

Thanks in advance.

joegagan

hi, good one.

i recommend building skyripper '07 since the earlier versions were not true bypass per se.

so, to answer your Q about daisy chain, it is normally positive ground, so you will need a separate power supply. i haven't built an npn skyripper.

of course i am partial to the full version with all the knobs and switches because it is so much fun and very useful with the full featureset.
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

JOHNO

Thanks for bringing this up 1878. Ive been looking for something interesting to build and this is it. Do a search of the forum for a thread called "skyripper history". There are some interesting comments in it about the practicability of all those switches.

Praying_V

Is there any reason to think that an NPN Skyripper wouldn't be good, if the proper transistor gains are still used? 

joegagan

yes, if a person follows all the necessary steps to reversing the circuit and good germs are available, npn should be fine.

i also never built a sili skyripper, not sure if anyone ever tried, but you could for sure.

i suggest using the gus smalley approach to si FF in the middle FF section if doing it Si
aron's schem's under 'gcs fuzz face'
my life is a tribute to the the great men and women who held this country together when the world was in trouble. my debt cannot be repaid, but i will do my best.

Thanks for the replies.

After reading the history, I think I'll go for the three footswitch, three toggle version with all the controls and the loop. I've also just gone through my box of bits, and I found a cable that came with my daisy chain which is supposed to allow differently grounded effects to be used. Don't know if it works though... nothing to try it out on yet.

I read somewhere on this board that John from Basic Audio sells Skyripper PCB's. Will this be ok for the '07 version ?? Also, the one piece of info I've never been able to find is a comprehensive parts list. Anyone know of one ??

Thanks to everyone for your help, and a big thanks to Joe for designing the thing in the first place.

JOHNO

John's circuit board layout and a schematic are all there in the history thread. He has done both the layout and boards for the original and the 07. The two boards are almost identical,but not quite. Sure John will sell you one just pm him

John Lyons

I can sell you a board but I don't make them to sell, if that makes sense.
It's Joe's baby so I don't want to step on his toes... :icon_wink:
At some point here I'm going to make a SR with a smaller footprint.
Probably a BB sized box with one of smallbear's new 16mm dual pots.

The foot switches vs toggles comes down to what you think would be more practical for you.
The buffer is neat but I don't think it needs to be a FS, but that's up to you.

A silicon SR is something I've been wanting to do as well. Not enough time in the day though!

john
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

JOHNO

1878 if you need a board I've just made up a couple and if you pm me an address to send it I'll post you one tomorrow no charge,no problam. Johno

JOHNO

Well i,ve got it all together but the voltages are all over the shop. Supply voltage is 9.45vdc
     e     b       c
q1 5.0  5.48  9.45
q2 .59  1.19  6.92
q3  0   .28    .95
q4 .28  .95   .30
Q4 cant be biased it doesnt matter how much i fiddle with the trimmers the voltage does not change. Trimmers on q2 work fine. Im getting signal up the base of q3 with the audio probe but nothing out the collector. Q1 is not right im sure as there is not a diode drop from base to emitter.Q2 is probably ok. Q3 and 4 are up the creek. I'll keep working on the debug and keep you guys posted, Johno

joegagan

just for the record, i give any and all permission for people to sell any of my circuits on pcbs or any other way.
-- i don't care if anyone wants to sell the skyripper boards, and i would welcome a smaller one.

especially you john, i am a big supporter of your business because you are a very talented m-f-er.

you set a good example for all of us artists to be creative in making art that sells, and being flexible (you have mutliple products in the mill all the time)

joegagan

Quote from: JOHNO on June 30, 2008, 12:37:03 PM
Well i,ve got it all together but the voltages are all over the shop. Supply voltage is 9.45vdc
     e     b       c
q1 5.0  5.48  9.45
q2 .59  1.19  6.92
q3  0   .28    .95
q4 .28  .95   .30
Q4 cant be biased it doesnt matter how much i fiddle with the trimmers the voltage does not change. Trimmers on q2 work fine. Im getting signal up the base of q3 with the audio probe but nothing out the collector. Q1 is not right im sure as there is not a diode drop from base to emitter.Q2 is probably ok. Q3 and 4 are up the creek. I'll keep working on the debug and keep you guys posted, Johno

those freakin trimmers around q4 collector are a bitch to get to bias up, it is a back and forth balancing act (they affect each other) - but the voltages listed on the schem are critical. you have less than half a skyripper if the Q4 collector won't set to within 3% of the -1volt position on S4 (bias switch ). the -4.5v setting on same switch is a little more tolerant of slight misbias, say within -4.2  through -5.3 range in my view.

but first, you have to figure out why it isn't biasing at all. probably something simple, you'll find it

good luck, let us know what you find

joegagan

John Lyons

Very generous Joe, in comments and willingness to share your stuff.
The skyripper is a simple circuit with a lot of tweaks.
It is a challenge to get set up and get started playing with but once you understand what's going on and play with it a while you'll be rewarded!

EDIT:
Cool vid Joe
Man I need broadband internet!

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

JOHNO

I've discovered the problam, the 390 ohm was actually a 390k. HHmm its seems I posted just the other day about being careful selecting resistors.
the voltages now are ;9.45vdc supply

q1,5.01,5.48,9.43
q2,1.14,1.22,6.74
q3,0.0 , 0.57,0.76
q4,0.73,0.76,4.68 with the boost/cut sw in the cut position.5.44 in the boost position.1.19 with the rip switch thrown.

Some of these still look off to me , Joe if you could find the time could you possibly post some ball park figures as to what the voltages are on all transistors? That would be a great help as I cant find any other voltages for this circuit other then the ones on the schema. Johno

EDIT; In which position is the boost/cut sw supposed to be in when measuring the voltages?

joegagan

hi johno, can youpost a link to the schematic you used? unfortunately there are a few slightly different versions out there.

when you listed the two bias readings for Q4, they look pretty close. if you can get the -1.17v closer to 1.07 or better it would be good, but at this point everything should be sounding about right.

keep in mind, that with all that off board wiring, you can have correct bias numbers but the signal might be getting tripped up somewhere.

the cutboost s5 should be in the 'not connected' mode when biasing.

JOHNO

I dont know how to post links but heres a photo.

Hope ya can see it ok
The reason I ask for voltages is that R.G and others are always going on about a diode drop from base to emmiter. If im right thats .7v for silicon and .2 or .3 volts for GE. And if thats correct, my transistors are not biased correctly. And yes the wiring on this unit is a nightmare, Ive got wires going in every direction. Its still on the bench so i need to get it boxed up to make it easier to know what control does what lol. Its been a fun build thanks for the challenge joe.

joegagan