Hi,from the n00b

Started by Fuzz/karl, August 01, 2008, 12:30:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzz/karl

Hi,my name is Kyle , I decided to venture into my first build so i thought I'd hang out,read up & try to lean some stuff.
Anyway,for my 1st build I opted to go the perf board from a schematic as aposed to the kit route.
I choose a schem. from Circuit Snippets called the Idiot Wah.Anyone build one of these?
I just gotta source the parts & get a nice soldering iron.
I had an old DOD AB box laying around,but it was pretty bet up and pitted so my buddy & I took a cut off tool to it ,etching the metal.
You can't tell by the lighting in this pic but the texture looks like a flame top on a paul.
So,I went and picked up some engine block spray paint & some stripping tape. The base coat is chrome & the rest is forest green,then clear coat.I threw a couple of knobs I had on it like it may be layed out but I'm not commited to it yet.I'll post more as the build progresses.
Heres the case .What da you guys think?

Any advise or critiques are welcome.

mnordbye

Welcome Kyle! Glad to have you onboard. :)

In my opinion it looks wicked! Love the racing stripes..

Magnus Nordbye
General tone addict
Deaf Audio at Facebook

Fuzz/karl

Hey Magnus ,
Thanks ,good to be here.This was my 1st paint job,I think I got lucky.
The size of the tape happen to work out for the stripes.

newfish

Nicley done!

First build or not, that's a fine looking piece of work.

Congrats!

Haven't yet built an idiot wah.  Good luck!
Happiness is a warm etchant bath.

liddokun

Is it the idiot wah easy enough for idiots to build? Because if it is, it's just what I've been looking for.  :icon_mrgreen:
But joking aside, that's a really sweet looking first build.  My first builds were all plain boxes with permanent marker labelling the controls.
To those about to rock, we salute you.

Renegadrian

it looks quite good, please post/link some more detailed pics!!!
Done an' workin'=Too many to mention - Tube addict!

Fuzz/karl

Thanks guys,I hope the build goes as smoothly.
I should have all the parts soon.What soldering iron do you guys recommend?
I have a realy crappy,cheap thing,I'd like to get something nicer.
Is this whole silver solder thing worth it or is it a farce?
One more thing.Anyone know were I can get more of these DOD(beveled) style boxes?
I realy like em.I'd like to get some for other projects.

Fuzz/karl

Sorry if some of these ?'s are dump or redundent.I'll probably do that for a wial.Please bear with me.
Hey Renegadrian ,Heres the only other pics I have,I made the a little bigger for ya.
I'll post shorts of the progress as I go.

Fuzz/karl

petemoore

Anyway,for my 1st build I opted to go the perf board from a schematic as aposed to the kit route.
 Let me be first to welcome you to 'Perfboard Club', here we learn the intracacies and possibilities of circuit design in a way that spells the circuit out on the perfboard, 'reading and writing' the circuit is required and it's much easier to 'read the map' than with paint by numbers [PCB] techniques. Initial failure rates are higher which is good for building up your chops.
 If that Iwah is like mine was, it could test your debugging skills and patience !
 Consider getting parts for a 'confidence booster' [I think there's a build called exactly that, but any 1 transistor booster]. Boosters are like Life, Maynard and Mikey like 'em.
 Way to get the box going already !
  Soldering iron threads are worth a look through.
  I have a temp controlled one [1 knob], the auto-temp ones are even better...but if I 'watch the heat' [only turn the knob to 4:00 when dissipating heat into a large joint], and turn the current back down after the big solder jobs...tip seems to last pretty good, I have N/T heating the joints...but I'm an experienced 'heat dissipator'..."let the joint heat by Not putting more cold solder [ice] in it after you get enough solder for heat to 'flow through' " is my advice.
  You get what you pay for sorta...better iron is just more fun, 'better than that' iron tends to be good bang for buck if you use it a lot [bigger initial investment but better longevity, and basic performance].

Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fuzz/karl

Thanks ,I may just do that.I accualy realy want a Rangemaster.Would that be an easy one to start with?
Did you build this idiot wah?I thought it looked pretty easy.
Maybe I'm just nieve.

DougH

The Idiot Wah looks pretty simple. Not quite as simple as a booster but close. It's only one device. I shouldn't think you would have too much trouble getting it up and going. My only comment about that is if you want to use it like a standard wah, you will need to get a wah pedal shell and it will be a little more complex than just putting it in a box. If you just want to stick it in one position like a "%^&*ed wah", then the way you are doing it is fine. A Rangemaster is a real simple build. You will have to source the germanium transistor (available at small bear and other suppliers discussed here) but otherwise it's pretty straightforward.

Welcome to the forum! :icon_wink:
"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you."

Fuzz/karl

Yep just doin' the %^&*ed wah thing.If I do a wah encloser thing I'll probably go for something non-coventional,
like but 2 simple curcuits at either end of the tradell and blend em'.
Hmmm,I need to start looking into that,I have a wah box somewhere.