Yet Another Dr. Boogey Cap question...

Started by ayayay!, September 04, 2008, 09:13:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ayayay!

I'm working off of this schematic:  http://geocities.com/electrictabs/dr.boogey.png  I'm forgoing the Miller caps (for now at least) in the hopes of using this as a learning experience, so that if I do need them, I'll know what to look/listen for. 

I am building my own perfboard layout because I want it to fit on the standard 371-hole board from SmallBear.  So far it's been simple enough.  Once I have the layout solidified, I'll post it so you all can verify it for me. 

On to my question...  The 5n cap going to ground on VR2 does what exactly?  Meaning, why does it have to be right there since it appears to me it could be anywhere on the +9V bus.  I'm guessing it has to be in proximity to that trimpot for SOME reason right?  They say the only dumb questions are the ones not asked, so I'm asking.   ;D

The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

John Lyons

The 5n cap is a power filter for the higher frequencies.
I'm not sure it's doing much really.
This schematic is just carried over from the amp schematic.
If I were you I would use the gausmarkov.net  schematic if not layout.
There have been some improvements over the electritabs schematic and layout.

john

Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

ayayay!

Yeah I just don't see the placement of it being a big deal.

I looked at Gaussmarkovs and Electritabs.  I want to build the Electritabs one because I have a sick mind I guess.  I want to build it, see if there's problems, then t-shoot if needed.  I don't know why I am that way, it's just what I like to do. 

Anyway, so many threads and people suggest using one schematic over the other, and then half report problems and half don't.  I guess I'm taking a chance either way so I'm fine with that. 

Thanks John! 
The people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those who vote for a living.