Liquid Sunshine - Vero Layout anyone??

Started by Just1More, November 29, 2008, 12:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just1More

I was going to have a crack at putting a Liquid Sunshine together on vero.  Just thought I'd ask if anyone had a layout they would care to share before I sink any time into it.

Relevant links:
Schematic
PCB layout

Thanks

Just1More

OK, here's an attempt at layout.  I would appreciate it if someone could look over it and see if there are any issues.  Schematic link is in the previous post.

Go easy on me - this is my first attempt at a layout.  Possibly should have started with something a little simpler...

Thanks in advance

composition4

Yep I just checked it against the schematic I have and it looks technically completely correct

Have fun, it's a great little circuit

Jonathan

Just1More

Thanks composition4 - that was fast!!

BTW did you include the positive feedback loop in your build?  IIRC I read a post where Brian said it wasn't needed in the current production models.

I tried it without - not a huge difference but to my ears it sounded a little better with the feedback loop in.

composition4

I didn't play around with the circuit - I built it with the pos fback loop and it sounded so great that I didn't feel the need to change anything.  If anything it could be the tiniest bit brighter, but when I think that I might want to change it, I change my mind. If I'm using it as a light overdrive, I usually only have both gain pots at just past 9 o'clock which keeps the highs down

Jonathan

Zen

Hey guys -- I have been planning a perf build of the LS, for a while.  Did you all make the changes Brian Marshall noted in the other thread?  Was a change of a couple cap and resister values I think?  http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=47228.msg365016#msg365016

I have done a perf layout, but it is untested.  I'll post it once I have at least an attempted build on it.

I was also planning to add a switchable clipping section -- any thoughts?

Any sound clips? 

Just1More

I've just about finished building it.  Got a bit distracted building a Fender AA764 Champ clone over the xmas break.  Back to the Liquid Sunshine soon.  I think it was done with the values on the original schematic.  Might try it with the alternate values too.

Just1More

Got it build with the changed 10nF cap and 10K resistor to ground replacing the values on the schematic.  It works - mostly.

Sounds good but there is some oscillation when both gain pots are at higher levels which didn't happen when I had it on the breadboard.  Removing the feedback loop got rid of the oscillation but I think I've got some more work to do on this one yet... :icon_rolleyes:  Brian did say there are all kinds of things that can go wrong with the circuit.

composition4

Maybe it's a layout issue?

Try changing input and output wires (both from jack to switch and switch to FX in/out) to shielded cable, ground only one end of the shield, keep as short as possible.  Keep input and output wires as far away from each other as possible.

Mine has no oscillation at any setting...

Jonathan

Just1More

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's al layout issue.  Good suggestion - thanks.  I'll give it a crack, but it will probably have to wait until next weekend.

Zen

Here is my Perf Layout.

completely untested, but I hope to have it attempted in the next couple weeks.  I'm having some trouble finding a good place to order ALL the parts I still need including the 2n5458's.

Let me know if you guys seen anything wrong with this.  This is my second layout from schematics, so it is probably useless :)

Just1More

Almost certain now the issue is with the routing of the wire between C8 and C9.  Oscillation changes as you poke around with it.  I'll try rerouting and see if I can tame it.

Just1More

Looks like it's back to the drawing board on this one.  I played around with the layout over the weekend, but couldn't get rid of the oscillation.  Might be time to start again I think.

aziltz

Quote from: composition4 on December 17, 2008, 04:58:41 AM
Yep I just checked it against the schematic I have and it looks technically completely correct

Have fun, it's a great little circuit

Jonathan

where might i be able to find the schematic you speak of?  much thanks in advance.

Just1More

Quote from: aziltz on January 18, 2009, 11:46:33 PM
where might i be able to find the schematic you speak of?  much thanks in advance.

Link is in the first post

aziltz

hey thanks, i must have overlooked that.  did you get the bugs worked out of your build?

Zen

my perf layout was a bust, was the vero ever verified?

Just1More

Yeah, it works but oscillates if the positive feedback loop is left in. Take it out and it should be fine.

Just1More

Quote from: Just1More on February 02, 2009, 03:31:57 PM
Yeah, it works but oscillates if the positive feedback loop is left in. Take it out and it should be fine.

Zen, ignore this post. Realised you were probably talking about your layout not mine. Yours looks fine, but double check the pinouts on the FETs. I'm pretty sure you need to turn them round the other way. I don't have the spec sheet handy to check just now.

Zen

Quote from: Just1More on February 03, 2009, 03:55:22 PM
Quote from: Just1More on February 02, 2009, 03:31:57 PM

Zen, ignore this post. Realised you were probably talking about your layout not mine. Yours looks fine, but double check the pinouts on the FETs. I'm pretty sure you need to turn them round the other way. I don't have the spec sheet handy to check just now.

i was talking about your layout.  I built mine and it didn't work--at all.  I tried a few things then gave up.  Maybe i'll try again when I am less frustrated!  :)