Main Menu

Eventide Pitch factor

Started by Dimitree, February 07, 2009, 08:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dimitree

Hi everyone
please listen to this demo:
http://ftp.eventide.com/ljdl/www/PitchFactorDemo.html

listen to the effect called Synthonizer, both in bypass mode and active mode.. It is awesome!
in your opinion, what alghorithm could create a sound like this? I mean, what do you need..lot of short delays?

Ice-9

Wow, i just had a listen to all the sounds on  that link and can say  i want one, just wonder what the price will be ?
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

mattusmattus

that's brilliant. I love bank 2's delayed harmonies on the "flex" setting, although it does sound a little like it should be on a danone or actimel ad.

the synthonizer's effect is portamento/glide right?. I once downloaded a pdf of a circuit from an old book or magazine which, i think, was called a voice synthesizer. From how I understood, it had a microphone which reacted to the pitch of your voice and produced that frequency, unfortunately at the end of the article it stated that it wasn't all that reliable. If the same principle could be done with the guitars fundamental note would it be possible to then add a simple portamento circuit snippet to cause a glide between pitches?

... of course, you could always use a slide. better still, a sustainer/ebow and a slide.

SeanCostello

It sounds like pitch detection. Really really good pitch detection.

I know that Eventide has some variant of pitch detection in their pitch shifters, to help with splicing. My guess is that the Synthonizer is using some version of this pitch detection to control one or more oscillators (I'd guess that it is a few sine oscillators). The portamento that you hear is some sort of lowpass filter on the pitch detection output, which would also help avoid the octave jumps you hear with most pitch detectors.

I might be totally wrong about all of this, mind you. There is probably a corresponding patch for the high-end harmonizers, that could be brought into Vsig (Eventide's graphic DSP editor) and analyzed, at least to see what building blocks are used. I don't have access to any of the high-end Eventide units, and don't have the $K's to go get one.

Sean Costello

iaresee

Quote from: Ice-9 on February 09, 2009, 09:17:40 AM
Wow, i just had a listen to all the sounds on  that link and can say  i want one, just wonder what the price will be ?
I suspect it'll be priced around the other *Factor stomp units: ~$400 USD.

I think the PigTronix Mohtership unit will give this one a run for its money if it's synth tones you're after: http://www.pigtronix.com/products08/mothership.html -- it's analog, so not quite the fancy algorithms that the PitchFactor has, but still a sweet sounding box. And I always dig Pigtronix' paint schemes. Though I try not to be superficially shallow...sometimes you just can't help it. :)

Processaurus

Those are both outrageous pedals.  Wow!  I liked eventide's bank 2 demo as well, it sounded like Les Paul's ragtime pitch shifting experiments from the 40's/50's.

Dimitree

so how would you do a sound like this? I can't understand how it is possible to get that sort of infinite sustain without oscillations and so "clean"..