MN3007 ADA Flanger Clone Questions

Started by Paul Marossy, February 19, 2009, 11:37:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pierre

hi !

After a couple of years of inactivity I'm about to start building this MN3007 A/DA version...
I have a little question, It's about P6 (volume), I just cant figure where solder this pot altough I can see it in the schem... :icon_redface:
Can anyone help me with this one...please?

Thanks a lot !

Pierre

oldschoolanalog

P6 is an offboard component. Just connect it to the output wire coming off the PCB. ;)
May or may not be necessary. Depending on your taste.
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

gigimarga

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on June 10, 2010, 06:54:54 PM
PS: Nothing should get hot. Especially the op amps. The 7815's on all my A/DA builds don't even get warm. And this is w/out using heat sinks.

Of course that I agree with you oldschoolanalog, but can you give me a hint why it becomes hotter?
I looked over 10 times to find errors, but I didn't find one :D...and at his output I got Vcc/2  ???

Thank you very much!

oldschoolanalog

If possible post some V's of the offending part of the circuit. Please use the schem I linked to for the pinouts & op amp #'s.
Also check to see what your resistances between V+ & GND are.
How do your other V's compare to the ones I posted?
All ther Best!
Mystery lounge. No tables, chairs or waiters here. In fact, we're all quite alone.

gigimarga

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on June 13, 2010, 03:57:34 PM
If possible post some V's of the offending part of the circuit. Please use the schem I linked to for the pinouts & op amp #'s.
Also check to see what your resistances between V+ & GND are.
How do your other V's compare to the ones I posted?
All ther Best!

Thank you a million times oldschoolanalog!
Now I'm very busy, but I hope that tomorrow I will have time to measure all the voltages. I need some time to do that because I used solderman's PCB and there are some differences between his version and moosopotamus's one.

Best regards,
Radu

Pierre

Quote from: oldschoolanalog on June 12, 2010, 02:37:05 PM
P6 is an offboard component. Just connect it to the output wire coming off the PCB. ;)
May or may not be necessary. Depending on your taste.

Thank you !!!
...sometimes I just can't see the most basic things... :icon_redface:

mean_dorris

Hello,

I recently got back to troubleshooting my beast. I'm a very much a rookie builder, and this guy has been quite the project thus far.

My problem right now is that IC6 (Cd4047) is getting very hot, very fast.
I took some voltages around it and they don't seem to line up with a list I found earlier in this thread.
1- 5
2- 3.2
3- 10
4- 15
5- 15
6- 15
7- 0
8- 0
9- 0
10- 12.6
11- 13
12- 0
13- 14.6
14- 15

Also, some voltages on IC5 (Cd4007) are a little wonky too.

Pins 1-8: 0
9- 6.5
10- 6.5
11- 2.5
12- 3.1
13- 15 <---!!
14- 15

I'm not sure what this is about. The voltages on the op amps are more or less the same. +/- 1 volt, if that. Not sure if that is a big deal or not.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Maybe the answer is obvious??

Thanks!!

Valoosj

I'm about to shrink the layout to fit in a B size enclosure. Any tips to avoid some nasty clock noise and other things?
The LFO should be kept as far away as possible from the audio, so there will be 2 pcbs in this build.
Could somebody point me out to the lfo though, I'm not that experienced yet in the theory behind these things.  :icon_redface:
Quote from: frequencycentral
You squeezed it into a 1590A - you insane fool!  :icon_mrgreen:
Quote from: Scruffie
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

Scruffie

Quote from: Valoosj on November 13, 2010, 02:47:23 PM
I'm about to shrink the layout to fit in a B size enclosure. Any tips to avoid some nasty clock noise and other things?
The LFO should be kept as far away as possible from the audio, so there will be 2 pcbs in this build.
Could somebody point me out to the lfo though, I'm not that experienced yet in the theory behind these things.  :icon_redface:
I can't answer this but... 1590B!?  :icon_eek:

Solderman got it in a BB and even that was damn impressive.

Valoosj

Did he? I seem to have missed that one. Solderman and I like to keep our pedals small. He has a few more than I do at the moment, but let's see if he can top this one  :icon_twisted:
(once I succeed at shrinking this layout :D)
Well this... this is just silly... this can't fit in a 1590B... can it? And you're not even using SMD you mad man!

oldschoolanalog

On the Moose schematic the LFO is IC4a & 4b. FWIW, consider making one PCB with all the CV (LFO & Manual), clock & associated components. And the other PCB for the audio and its components.
Also realize there is really no "as far away as possible" in a "B" size box for this build. With 5 pots, 3 jacks, 2 switches & an LED you have a pretty "full house" on your hands. :icon_eek:
Good Luck & All the Best!  
Edit: Make that 4 jacks. Can't forget the DC jack, can we?

Valoosj

I'm going to leave the expression pedal jack out on this one. Once I find the time this week I'll try to sort out which components belong to the audio and which don't, as to not make any mistakes in the layout. I'll probably post the schematic with all the parts highlighted, that way you can all kick me if I make a silly mistake.  :P

solderman

Quote from: Valoosj on November 14, 2010, 06:47:13 PM
I'm going to leave the expression pedal jack out on this one. Once I find the time this week I'll try to sort out which components belong to the audio and which don't, as to not make any mistakes in the layout. I'll probably post the schematic with all the parts highlighted, that way you can all kick me if I make a silly mistake.  :P
Yorick, This is a job cut out for you :-). As said before divide the audio and LFO parts in two. That was what I did. But I got too ambitious and wanted to have the possibility to switch between 3007 and 3702 so I tossed in some DIP switches that was unnecessary since i only used 3007 @ 15V as that sound was the best. I will mail you the original files. They are made in the very good and free Dip Trace application. So you have to download that (use the free all inclusive ver) to use the files. There is plenty of room to trim my layout to fit this in to a 1590B. It is almost there already. just lose the DIP sh*t and tighten the layout a bit :-)
PS. I never got the threshold to work. so I cut a trace and left it out.

The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Valoosj

Thanks for the email Anders, I just read it. Hopefully I'll get round to shrinking the layout sometime next week, college is giving me plenty of work to keep me occupied the following days (actually months  :o) but all work and no play ...

Your layout does indeed seem quite bulky as opposed to your usual work. I'll need to look at what you did with the treshold, see if I can spot any mistakes.
Did you have any issues with noise? I just fired up my micro zombie chorus, and the thing is so loud, I'll have to redo my layout. (as I recall, your layout was almost the same, but without any noise. But you have to drill the input and output jack too high to my liking.)

solderman

Quote from: Valoosj on November 16, 2010, 07:29:28 PM
Thanks for the email Anders, I just read it. Hopefully I'll get round to shrinking the layout sometime next week, college is giving me plenty of work to keep me occupied the following days (actually months  :o) but all work and no play ...

Your layout does indeed seem quite bulky as opposed to your usual work. I'll need to look at what you did with the treshold, see if I can spot any mistakes.
Did you have any issues with noise? I just fired up my micro zombie chorus, and the thing is so loud, I'll have to redo my layout. (as I recall, your layout was almost the same, but without any noise. But you have to drill the input and output jack too high to my liking.)

No noise but i have discowered that if you have more than one 3007 type of circuit on the same DC chain, it will produce noise.

Abot the layout. all components are numbered in the same order as in moose moosapotamus schem and the ones i have added have a higer numbre.

http://www.moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADA_MN3007/ADAflanger_MN3007.html

www.soldersound.com

Valoosj

Could somebody help me verify this? I'm not sure on the cut mark I made, and if all the components are on the right side.
As I see it, the lfo is the low part, audio is the upper. If any component should be on the other side, please let me know.
I'd like to get cracking on my 1590B layout as I have just finished the one for the neovibe ...

I noticed that solderman had put the MN3007 on the audio board, but that should be on the lfo board, no?

Valoosj

Just circling the audio part would be enough, the rest will be lfo, CV, manual, associated components and go on a separate board.

anyone? Please  ;D

12Bass

The section above the line is audio.  Below is CV, LFO, clock, BBD.
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Valoosj

That I know, but is the cut correct, as in: is every resistor on the right side of the line, like R41 and R73 ...

http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADA_MN3007/FlangerClone_SCH_rev5_MN3007_jan2010.gif

Here's the bigger version of the schematic.

solderman

Quote from: Valoosj on December 29, 2010, 07:39:10 PM
That I know, but is the cut correct, as in: is every resistor on the right side of the line, like R41 and R73 ...

http://moosapotamus.net/IDEAS/ADAflanger/ADA_MN3007/FlangerClone_SCH_rev5_MN3007_jan2010.gif

Here's the bigger version of the schematic.
In a sense you are correct but the dry audio signal is actually going in on pin 3 of the BBD and leaving at pin 7-8 and will be "destroyed" by the clock/LFO feed on pin 6-2.
The wet signal from the BBD is then feed in to IC2c and the dry signal in to IC2b. The IC3a-b together with the FET will act as a attack sensitive "valve" controlling the wet/dry mix depending on how hard the sting is strum. This part I newer got to work. pin 14 on IC1d will resturn the wet signal to loop again (enhance)

I assume we can leave out the power parts in the middle of the schem.

www.soldersound.com