Cheap oscilloscopes for everyone! (JYE Tech Review)

Started by Taylor, September 19, 2009, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc_drop

I just ordered one as a birthday gift to myself. I'm not sure how I will use it, but I look forward to finding out.  ;D
I'll post if I make any interesting observations/discoveries...

trixdropd

I'm interested....

The problem is, that I'm a guy who makes mostly switching circuits and such. I don't know what I'd do with a scope, though if I should have one and learn it I would like to buy in at this price.

Can someone break down for me in a nutshell what a scope is gonna do for me that my meter can't and why I have to buy it??

Thanks!!

Taylor

If you mean switching like CMOS, this could be very useful, to see logic states. If you mean switching like passive loop boxes, AB boxes and the like, an oscilloscope probably wouldn't be useful to you.

trixdropd

Quote from: Taylor on October 27, 2009, 08:21:01 PM
If you mean switching like CMOS, this could be very useful, to see logic states. If you mean switching like passive loop boxes, AB boxes and the like, an oscilloscope probably wouldn't be useful to you.

Im interested in getting into cmos and the possibilities it presents. I am also planning on maybe building a delay and tremelo effect.

aziltz

great find!  a must have!  i don't think my advisor will be too happy if i start borrowing the GHz scope to do "home audio" work...

Thomeeque

Hold your horses!

$89 (click the pic for review)

:) T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Taylor

Dang, that looks pretty sweet.  :-\

In other news, I'm having some weird issues with my JYE scope. I might recommend people not buy them right now until I figure out if the problem is the scope or me...

doc_drop

Taylor,

Now you tell me :P.

I just received mine in the mail. I am a little disappointed since when I placed the order it said a power adaptor was supplied. It wasn't. When I looked at their online catalogue it had changed and they no longer include it. I sent an e-mail saying that since it was listed as being included when I ordered, shouldn't I have received one. We'll see if they respond, but I am wondering if I just threw away $40. I'll post once I build it to let you guys know.

Taylor

I just noticed these problems, and I'm still not sure if it's my own error, a bad power supply, or the scope itself. Lots of people have used these scopes successfully so don't get discouraged.

That is bunk about the supply. If I were you, I would contact JYE directly, the builder sent me about $12 to buy a new supply when I told him that the included one wasn't working properly. I have found that the service from Seeed studio is kind of bad, but talking to JYE directly is very friendly and helpful.

They should definitely send you one if it was included at the time of purchase.

doc_drop

Thanks Taylor. Yeah, I will wait until I get it put together before I assume there are any problems.

I contacted the seller, and received a response. Unfortunately they just said, "The kit version does not includee power adapter. It is listed below the product description as a related item you can purchase." Not saying a word about the fact that it didn't read that way when I placed the order. I wrote back insisting, so we'll see. I have adaptors I can use, so it isn't a huge deal. But, I hate not getting what I ordered. 

Anyway, I will contact JYE directly as you suggest.

If you figure out the wierdness you are having with yours, please post and let us know the details.

doc_drop

Just to let anyone reading this know, the guys I bought this from have convinced me that I was wrong about the adaptor being included. Not the first time I get something wrong... But I am setting the record straight.

Now to build it and see if it works!

Ice-9

Quote from: Thomeeque on October 29, 2009, 06:46:36 AM
Hold your horses!

$89 (click the pic for review)

:) T.

Ohh wow, that looks fantastic, I've looked at the link and in the photos it looks just like a mobile phone. I wonder how long it will be before an oscilloscope app could be available for an iphone. now that would be something.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

Taylor

Already exists.

http://www.faberacoustical.com/products/iphone/signalscope/

But even the apps are a lot more expensive than the scopes in this thread, and that doesn't take into account the price of the iphone itself.

Taylor

Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2009, 02:22:54 PM
In other news, I'm having some weird issues with my JYE scope. I might recommend people not buy them right now until I figure out if the problem is the scope or me...

Just wanted to update and say that the problems I was experiencing were due to the thing I was probing, not the scope. The JYE Tech scope works perfectly and I'm quite happy with it. The other one shown above does look quite sleek, but at close to twice the price. At the moment the JYE is just fine for my needs, but I can't deny I feel a little bit of "hey look at that new girl" syndrome.  :icon_wink:

Thomeeque

Quote from: Taylor on November 02, 2009, 12:06:08 AM
..The other one shown above does look quite sleek, but at close to twice the price. At the moment the JYE is just fine for my needs, but I can't deny I feel a little bit of "hey look at that new girl" syndrome.  :icon_wink:

I've got this one (PPS10)..

..and I'd almost kill for the new girl's display, the builded one sucks big time (it has poor resolution, very weak contrast and monochromaticity does not help either).. OK, maybe I'd not kill for it, but I'd spend 40 dollars more for sure ;) But on the other hand, at least from the photos of the JYE Tech scope, it's looks it has bit better display than PPS10.

T.
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

oldrocker

When I ordered the Capacitance Meter Kit which doesn't come with a power supply I originally powered it with a nine volt battery.  When I did hook up a power supply I found that it used negative ring and positive inner hole.  My pedals use the opposite.  So check to see which one would be used on the oscilloscope.  Just in case there's no polarity protection.  I wouldn't know.  The cap meter does have protection though.  Thank goodness.

TrentC

Quote from: Taylor on October 29, 2009, 06:05:58 PM
Already exists.

http://www.faberacoustical.com/products/iphone/signalscope/

But even the apps are a lot more expensive than the scopes in this thread, and that doesn't take into account the price of the iphone itself.

Has anyone tried this app??

zachary vex

It's very confusing.  Some of the images in the links show it in what seems to be a case, or perhaps just a front panel?  Others show it as a bare board with exposed switches.  Which is it?  Does it come in a case for $50?

Hupla

Its the bare board. It doesnt come with a case and for the 50 quid u get it as a kit to put together. theres a thread on it in here somewhere
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808