Cheap oscilloscopes for everyone! (JYE Tech Review)

Started by Taylor, September 19, 2009, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taylor

Quote from: Hupla on November 05, 2009, 11:51:49 AM
Its the bare board. It doesnt come with a case and for the 50 quid u get it as a kit to put together. theres a thread on it in here somewhere

Actually, for $50 it comes preassembled. The kit is like $35.

Even though I started that thread and still like my scope, if I had ZVex-level scratch I'd pony up for something more deluxe...  :icon_wink:

frequencycentral

http://www.frequencycentral.co.uk/

Questo è il fiore del partigiano morto per la libertà!

cathexis

Yes and no - not really a case, but a front and back panel. The rest is good ventilation, I suppose. The board with the exposed switches is an earlier version. This one was assembled from the kit. I like it!
LARS

doc_drop

I bought one of the kits last week. Unfortunately one of the SMD parts (D1) had been knocked off during transit. Also the back plate was scratched. The people I ordered it from (KCS Electronics) have been very nice about it, though. They suggested I try to resolder the part, even though the trace got damaged. (I haven't tried yet.) But, they are supposedly sending me a replacement anyway. So, I suggest anyone buying this takes a good look at the board before they start soldering in case anything fell off during shipping.

I've never soldered an SMD part before. I hope I manage ot o.k....

Ibanezfoo

Anyone got a youtube clip of this thing in action?  It looks like a calculator type LCD which are very slow to redraw... I want to see what the refresh looks like.

Ice-9

Good youtube clip, the scope seems to do screen redaraws at a good rate. It's very tempting.
www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.

sixstringphil

Taylor

Based on the name "XR Noiz box", it's probably based on the XR8038 or XR2206 function generator chips.

Ibanezfoo

Quote from: sixstringphil on November 05, 2009, 04:33:26 PM
Anyone know anything about the tone generator in the clip?

Nope.  I just searched for "oscilloscope" and browsed through until I recognized the one in question.  There were a couple other small LCD type oscilloscopes too I noticed... didn't really check them out yet though.

Thomeeque

Unfortunately the clip does not seem to show much of the scope possibilities, it seems more like the noiz box demo.. Instead of tuning scope to get nice picture of various kinds of generated signals, the guy tunes generator to get nice readings on the scope mostly :)
Do you have a technical question? Please don't send private messages, use the FORUM!

Hupla

He kinda just shows its refresh rate. It seems decent enough. Its hard to come up with reasons not to get one ha
Completed builds: BSIAB2
Pedals to build: Dr.Boogey, TS-808

dano12

At that price point, one would be crazy not to build it into an actual pedal. Analog panal meters? That's so last year.  :)

puretube

Pure Tube-display preferred...  (CRT)

[edit]: like THIS...  :icon_cool:

Skruffyhound

Ok, now I want one too.
Has anyone found a source for them in Europe?

puretube

Quote from: Skruffyhound on November 06, 2009, 05:05:30 PM
Ok, now I want one too.
Has anyone found a source for them in Europe?

Is: "Europe" where your interweb ends???  :icon_rolleyes:

Skruffyhound

No, but I get slapped for 75% import tax if I get anything in the post from the States, so that stunts the power of my "interweb" a bit.

Ripthorn

Exact science is not an exact science - Nikola Tesla in The Prestige
https://scientificguitarist.wixsite.com/home

Skruffyhound

Denmark. We get to pay the original sales tax in with the purchase price, then when the packet gets caught by the import authorities we get to pay 25% danish sales tax, some general tax and a hefty handling charge, plus we get to pay tax on the cost of the postage. the percentage can move up or down a little depending on the cost of postage compared to the price of the item or nature of the goods etc. I'm no expert but by my calculations, items become almost twice as expensive if they are purchased outside of Europe. Which is the whole point. It has been carefully calculated so that there is no advantage in buying from the States while the dollar is weak. The rules apply to all countries outside of Europe, but they focus mostly on America, the chances of a packet getting through unnoticed from the States is very slim.
    We try of course to get stuff sent to friends/relatives in other European countries and then forwarded, or picked up from the States if someone is visiting, but it's limited how often a friend can be bothered to help you out.

So if anyone has a link for this scope in Europe I'll save 50 bucks and up to a months waiting time while the packet is processed through customs.