Custom Drilled and Powder Coated Enclosures

Started by aziltz, November 13, 2009, 11:28:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aziltz

Though I'd try to kick off the new Pictures section with some previews.  I've been getting a lot of stuff done at Pedal Parts Plus since I haven't found much time to get into drilling yet.  They are really great about answering questions.  The customer service has been great so far.  This is my 3rd or 4th order so far and I'm waiting on a much more complicated but smaller order of 3 1790NS enclosures at the moment.  Shipping was also very speedy, about 3 days via USPS from LA to VA.

This is my latest batch of painted enclosures from PPP.  These are the New Sensor boxes, which I've come to prefer.

Before anyone asks, they are infact drilled to spec.  I'll be using 1 big knob on the left side, with the LED underneath it.  The right side will have two smaller knobs, similar to the Subdecay Liquid Sunshine.

Colors are Bk Chrome/Green Firemist, Purple Starlight, Brushed Candy Apple Red, Psycho Green and Copper.  These will all be overdrives of some kind.  I was trying to squeeze the Wampler Cranked AC into the Purple 1290, but its using the Tone Clone PCB and its just too big.  Any suggestions for other 3 knob circuits that will look good inside Purple?

A "BLEM" 2 knob Metallic Orange for an Orange Squeezer.  I couldn't find anything wrong with it except for one sputtered spot on the back plate.

White Texture 1590BB for a Orange Peel Build.  Very Tolex-like.  Only thing better would be a J Lyons-made box using actual tolex.

Anodized Blue.  This is for a Dual Speed version of the BYOC Chorus I'm building for a friend.

aziltz

I meant to link to the drilling template examples.  I'm using google sketchup and PPP hasn't complained yet!

http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q18/aziltz/Drilling%20Templates/

Kitarist

How did you achieve that scratchy effect on that orange and green enclosure?

Thanks!!!

aziltz

Quote from: Kitarist on November 15, 2009, 10:55:22 AM
How did you achieve that scratchy effect on that orange and green enclosure?

Thanks!!!
The "orange" there is actually more of a copper color.

It's on the red as well.  If you brush the metal with light sand paper in one direction, you'll get the scratches.  Then paint with transparent colors or powder coat.  PPP will do this for a premium.  I also had it done on an anodized red enclosure, similar to the dark blue one above, and it made it look even more like a Vox Face Plate.  They're even more exciting in real life, my camera doesn't do it justice.

Once I find some transparent spray on enamel, I'll give it a shot on my own.

456or7strings

aziltz -

I just discovered PPP the other day - your endorsement has convinced me to send some business their way.

Out of curiosity - I'm considering getting the Cranked AC PCB - what enclosure did you end up using? And, more importantly, does the pedal sound as good as the samples on YouTube?

aziltz

I've populated the PCB but I haven't boxed it up yet.  It will fit nice and snuggly in a 125B without ribs, which is the same case as the commercial one.  They are the same circuit, so as long as you use good quality stuff, it should sound the same.

I thought I could squeeze it into a 1590B but it wasn't working out.

Brymus

FWIW
PPP is very good,they even refunded some of my shipping (when it was less than they charged me,totaly unexpected)
Service was fast ,personal - I felt like I was important to them,all in all excellent.
I have only orderd from them one time,(no boxes)but will do so again when I am able too.

That being said John Lyons boxes are some of the nicest I have seen,I hope to get some in the near future.
I'm no EE or even a tech,just a monkey with a soldering iron that can read,and follow instructions. ;D
My now defunct band http://www.facebook.com/TheZedLeppelinExperience

trendyironicname

I really like the red.  Didn't realize they did as great of work as what they do.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

nbabmf

studiostud

Quote from: aziltz on November 15, 2009, 11:54:27 AM
Once I find some transparent spray on enamel, I'll give it a shot on my own.

The best place to find translucent colored paint is at hobby shops that deal in model cars, airplanes, etc.  Translucent paint is often used for tail lights, signal blinkers, etc and so most hobby shops I've been to carry translucent paint in 4 or 5 different colors.  Just a head's up.  I didn't even think of that until someone else told me so I thought I'd pass along the info.
Builds Completed: Big Muff. Fuzz Face. Tube Screamer. Rat. Crash Sync. Harmonic Jerkulator. 6-band EQ. Rebote 2.5. Tremulus Lune. Small Stone. Small Clone. Microamp. LPB-2. Green Ringer. Red Ranger. Orange Squeezer. SansAmp. MXR Headphone Amp. Bass Fuzz.

humptydumpty

Yeah I ordered my Valvecaster enclosure from PPP, and other than me being retarded, the service was great.

Very nice enclosure, to say the least.

differo

A friend of mine has a keeley fuzz (of some kind) with similar red enclosure you have there - looks really nice!! Keeley does white screening though..(also very nice)
+1 for PPP I got some candy in my last order - sweet touch :)
My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

Rebote2.5,MXR dist+,DrBoogie,BSIAB2,Ross Compressor&Phaser,MXR EnvFilt &Noise Gate,TS808,Condor CabSim,SansampGT2,Fraverb,Small Clone,TremLune,ValveCaster

Ice-9

I do my own drilling, powder coating and screen printing. It's not as easy to see in these pictures but the brushed aluminium effect easy to get by sanding down the enclosure  and using a see through /candy powder coat.  The effect of book matched tiger maple can be got as well by sanding in different directions.

www.stanleyfx.co.uk

Sanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same result. Mick Taylor

Please at least have 1 forum post before sending me a PM demanding something.