New at runoffgroove.com: Tri-Vibe

Started by B Tremblay, December 24, 2009, 07:26:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Heisenberg

huhh that's strange cos, I've had better luck with ne5532s.

When I built the Dr. Quack and Nurse Quacky I had to use ne5532s, nothing else worked. Not using it in an LFO but, still...

I used an ne5532 that I bought just for the tri-vibe cos I was afriad nothing else would work.
"Your meth is good, Jesse. As good as mine."

Barcode80

Hmm, maybe I just have a huge batch of oddly speced ones. I've built quite a few tremolos and other LFO based stuff with them, and usually either the LFO won't kick in at all or it locks up every so often. Or in some cases, it locks up until you turn the LFO speed all the way down, then it kicks back in and works normally.

It would appear from some of the comments in the Little Angel thread that others may have experienced the same differences:

Quote from: earthtonesaudio on August 30, 2010, 12:26:10 PM
I don't see any reason to prefer the NE5532 in this circuit, other than the fact that it's already been verified.  However, if you do want to swap op-amps, the input resistance of the NE5532 is so low that a TL072 is not really a direct replacement.  You'll need to reduce the gain of the audio part and mess with the impedances in the LFO part to make the performance the same with a TL072.

Quote from: frequencycentral on September 11, 2010, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: blooze_man on September 10, 2010, 07:06:00 PM
I wonder how this would sound if it had a tone control

I'm gonna add a 'dark' pot for tone to the elite version - "Archangel"

@ clamup1: did you use a NE5532 dual opamp? The circuit values are set up to work with a NE5532. Other dual opamp type will give different results.

Pretty weird though that it works for you. I wonder if it's a difference in the particular batch I got.

chromesphere

Hi all,

The IC i used in mine is a TL072.  As in the clip i posted earlier, im not getting any weirdness or odd sounds. 

Tested it just now, turned my amp up real loud, and run it through a number of settings.  Zero tick, whoosh, pop, absolutely clean as a whistle.

Just thought i would share that and hope it helps!

Good luck!
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop                Youtube

solderman

Quote from: Barcode80 on December 25, 2010, 11:32:15 PM
without looking at the schem...

if you are using an ne5532 for the lfo section, i can tell you it will be a pain in the ass. i've never gotten an lfo to work with an ne5532 without changing some parts values in the lfo section. it's just such a stable opamp, with all kinds of internal stabilization which makes it a little harder to drive into oscillation.

The referens to 5532 was about some issues suspected to derive from the output buffer part of the circuit. not the LFO part. Se page 11-12 in this thread.
The only bad sounding stomp box is an unbuilt stomp box. ;-)
//Take Care and build with passion

www.soldersound.com
xSolderman@soldersound.com (exlude x to mail)

Barcode80

Quote from: solderman on January 04, 2011, 03:23:24 PM
Quote from: Barcode80 on December 25, 2010, 11:32:15 PM
without looking at the schem...

if you are using an ne5532 for the lfo section, i can tell you it will be a pain in the ass. i've never gotten an lfo to work with an ne5532 without changing some parts values in the lfo section. it's just such a stable opamp, with all kinds of internal stabilization which makes it a little harder to drive into oscillation.

The referens to 5532 was about some issues suspected to derive from the output buffer part of the circuit. not the LFO part. Se page 11-12 in this thread.

...?

I know, but I am not referring to that. I'm saying NE5532's are fickle when it comes to using them in LFOs. I hadn't even seen your post.

azrael

Am I correct in thinking that a LM13700 would be just fine for the 13600 used here? I can't find a 13600, but my research is suggesting that the 13700 might actually be better?

ddpawel

You can even try NE5517.
Quality and Audio properties in order (the best -> the worst)
NE5571 -> LM13700 -> LM13600.
And remember to use only good manufacturer items eg. Philips, ON, National.

roseblood11

I really don't know what's wrong with my pedal...

It sounded really good, but it had much more hiss than all the pedals in the demos that are linked here. I replaced every IC, but the hiss stayed exactly the same.
So I put the pedal on the shelf for some weeks. When I wanted to use it yesterday, it was totally dead. No idea, what happened...

John Lyons

Roseblood
Was this with a dirt pedal of just by itself?
Mine sounds quiet by itself but a LOT of his when put with any distortion or overdrive.
Basic Audio Pedals
www.basicaudio.net/

roseblood11

Just the pedal by itself. Tried some wall warts and a battery, no change. There was definitely s.th. wrong with the pedal.
I really donĀ“t understand what caused the hiss, as I replaced all IC's...

gginther

Hi Folks,

I'm working on my Tri-Vibe build using Slacker's vero layout http://www.aronnelson.com/gallery/main.php/v/slackers-stuff/trivibeboardfinal.jpg.html  It's working overall but I'm having a few issues:

1. I get a loud thumping at the top end of the Depth control and a bit of ticking when the Rate is really high.  The Rate ticking doesn't bother me that much since I doubt I would ever use at an extremely fast setting, but I would like to get rid of the thump.

2. The 3 effects overall depth seems a little subdued compared with the sound samples I heard for this pedal. The Vibe mode in particular is very subtle even at extreme settings.

I'm comparing the Slacker layout with the Schematic at ROG http://runoffgroove.com/tri-vibe.html and I was wondering where the C5 1u cap is on the Schematic.  I can find the other C7 1u next to the U1b #7 pin am I missing C5 somewhere?

thanks!
Gray

slacker

C5 on my layout is the cap connected to pin 9 of the LM13600, it's 220n on the schematic. I don't know why I've got it as 1uF, could just be a mistake or maybe the schematic changed. I don't think that will have anything to do with the thumping.

gginther

OK, I'll switch out the cap. Thanks! I wonder if shielded wire would help with the thumping or if I should be looking at something else for the problem?

thanks again,
Gray

miklax

Hi there!!

Here's my vision of the Tri-vibe. :)
Great work guys :) I love this pedal.

Fuzz Aldryn

This is how my turned out:

Thanks for this nice pedal project!

Helge

gginther

I got mine working a while back.  It sounds great and I use it constantly! Thanks R.O.G. folks!!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

B Tremblay

It is really great to see such beautiful builds and enthusiastic reviews!
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

rbstep

How about that?  Shout out to R.O.G..................

Jerem

I just finished this stompbox and all is ok but the led indicator is not working. I think it's strange

flo

Measure the voltage across the LED while in bypass and while it's on.
Remove the LED wiring from the (true bypass) footswitch and check if its working when you connect it directly to the +9V and earth (GND).