Potentiometer Question

Started by MullisMan, March 31, 2010, 10:32:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MullisMan

I'm going to build an Xotic EP Booster and the potentiometer is a 10K C type on the schematic and in the PDF file for the project, I've seen A log types and B linear types but not a C.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  And can I find it at small bear?
With the fire in my bones.

walker

A used to be C and B used to be A.  The C became A and A became B.    why?  universal conspiracy to confuse DIY builders.  

Now, this should be dead easy - a simple code to indicate the resistance and law of a pot should cause no grief to anyone, right?  Wrong!  It wouldn't have been so bad if someone hadn't decided to change it, and even then, it wouldn't have been so bad if there was no overlap between the "old" and "new" "standards" ... I think you can see where this is headed by now.

Taper       Old Code    New Code    Alternate
Linear              A                 B     LIN
Log (Audio)        C              A        LOG
Antilog              F                N/A    N/A

taken from this article:  http://sound.westhost.com/pots.htm

another good one while were at it "the secret life of pots":  http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/potsecrets/potscret.htm

MullisMan

With the fire in my bones.

Dan N

Nowadays C is reverse audio.

Smallbear do carry some C taper pots.

bassesofdeath

If a circuit needs a B1M dual gang. Why can't a B1M single be used?

nexekho

Quote from: bassesofdeath on September 09, 2011, 11:26:03 PM
If a circuit needs a B1M dual gang. Why can't a B1M single be used?

Is a dual gang not like two potentiometers of the same value being turned by one knob?
I made the transistor angry.

Pigyboy

Remember you can use a normal log or A pot backwards to get the same effect as a C. It will just work the opposite way meaning full clockwise is off/counter clockwise on...
And you'll have to admit, I'll be rich as shit
I'll just sit and grin, the money will roll right in....
                                                            - FANG