iRig (with DIY impedance matching cable?)

Started by mat, July 21, 2010, 05:19:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxOfSnoo

Found this schematic the other day, almost identical to the ones above.  http://sgitornado.altervista.org/diyirig.html

He doesn't include the resistor off the tip of the guitar input, but looks pretty clear to follow. I might have to try this now...
My Dropbox referral link - bonus 250MB of space for both of us if you use it

darzzydarzz

Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on June 11, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
Found this schematic the other day, almost identical to the ones above.  http://sgitornado.altervista.org/diyirig.html

He doesn't include the resistor off the tip of the guitar input, but looks pretty clear to follow. I might have to try this now...

going to give this a go but being a bit of a noob, can someone help me with the tranny pins on this schematic? source in from guitar, drain to mic, gate to the 1.2k resistor?

BoxOfSnoo

I threw this together today, does it look right?

I have 100pF and 500pF silver mica caps, but not a 470pF.  a) can I sub in the 500 safely for the 470?  What does it accomplish?  b) are silver mica overkill/unnecesary for this project?

Govmnt_Lacky

Might be a noobish questions but...  ::)

What is a Ferrite Bead? What does it look like and what purpose does it serve?

:icon_redface:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America
for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on June 18, 2011, 03:43:18 PM
Might be a noobish questions but...  ::)

What is a Ferrite Bead? What does it look like and what purpose does it serve?

:icon_redface:

Nevermind... followed my own advice and used Google  :icon_redface:
A Veteran is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The United States of America

darzzydarzz

Quote from: darzzydarzz on June 18, 2011, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on June 11, 2011, 08:28:57 PM
Found this schematic the other day, almost identical to the ones above.  http://sgitornado.altervista.org/diyirig.html

going to give this a go but being a bit of a noob, can someone help me with the tranny pins on this schematic? source in from guitar, drain to mic, gate to the 1.2k resistor?

this circuit works great for me, left out the ferrite bead :) oh and used an mpf102 as couldnt get anything else from my local shop.

PRR

> a) can I sub in the 500 safely for the 470? 

Certainly.

> What does it accomplish?

Reduces radio reception/transmission.

> b) are silver mica overkill/unnecesary for this project?

Yes (but what the heck).

Your tin roof is loose, buzzes in gusty wind. Put a rock on it. Big enough to damp the buzz, not big enough to dent the roof, but you don't fret whether it is a 470mm rock or a 500mm rock, granite or shale. I'm sure Apple's builders use ceramic; in this value ceramic is a near-perfect cap. They used 470 because that's how we number things since the 1960s; Silver Mica has been hanging around since the 1950s.

If you build an amp with a BRITE switch, I'd use the SM there. But mostly cuz it looks good, I suspect it sounds the same as ceramic.
  • SUPPORTER

soggybag

Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on June 18, 2011, 03:39:17 PM

I have 100pF and 500pF silver mica caps, but not a 470pF.  a) can I sub in the 500 safely for the 470?  What does it accomplish?  b) are silver mica overkill/unnecesary for this project?

What transistor are you using for this? The thread lists a couple possible choices J201 and MPF102. The Japanese site used a BF part number. I noticed they had SHO in one of the captions. This was giving me the impression it was a MosFET.

BoxOfSnoo

Quote from: soggybag on September 20, 2011, 05:22:01 PM
Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on June 18, 2011, 03:39:17 PM

What transistor are you using for this? The thread lists a couple possible choices J201 and MPF102. The Japanese site used a BF part number. I noticed they had SHO in one of the captions. This was giving me the impression it was a MosFET.

I used a j201, but I never got it working on my breadboard, so I never even got this far... Let me know if it works for anyone.

I was just going to buy one, but now I notice Line6 has come out with a new dock-connector based interface that looks pretty nice. Maybe I'll hold out for that one.  If I can get this beast going then I'll have something to tide me over.

Evil-Smurf

i am a total noob in this sorry still trying to read and understand everything and hope to improve as i go because it all very interesting to me.
i have been at the store today looking for parts and a guy there told me that instead of bf245c i can use 2n7000? could that be right?

PRR

• SUPPORTER

Skruffyhound

Lol. Succinct.
The guy in the store often just wants to sell you something in my experience.
Get the datasheets here for example : http://www.ic-on-line.cn/ , and you can compare their basic characteristics yourself.

robmdall

Evil-Smurf

Sorry to ruin the thread with such a novice question. Thanks for the site although i don't understand a thing at these data sheets even I get that these are totally different... I guess I got lots to learn before I can do anything here.

Skruffyhound

There's a lot on those datasheets I don't understand properly, but you can compare some stuff. Read up for yourself, but don't be shy to ask questions, people here are normally glad to help. Paul was uncharacteristically brief, why I laughed.
If you don't like the datasheets do a search on the forum. I just checked and J201, BF245A and possibly 2SK117 turn up in threads as substitutes. The 2N7000 is a mosfet which is a different beast than you want in this application.

@Rob. Thanks, all my own work too! .... ::)

BoNin

ive read all of the post and im confused what schem shall i follow, also because i cant find the j201 and bf245a these components here... please help..

Keeb

Hi guys!

Sorry for necroposting like this but I just wanted to let you know that I built it according to the schematic above http://sgitornado.altervista.org/diyirig.html but changed the transistor to a MPF102.
I built it on this layout and it works like a charm!

Edit; For clarity I might add that the iPhone plug (from bottom to top) goes mic - ground - right - left.

Skruffyhound

Govmnt_Lacky

How crucial is the ferrite bead?

Can it be omitted? And if it was, what are the possible side-effects  :icon_eek:

Also, can anyone recomend a good US based contact for the 4 pole 3.5m plug that is used?

DavenPaget

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on November 26, 2011, 04:24:02 PM
How crucial is the ferrite bead?

Can it be omitted? And if it was, what are the possible side-effects  :icon_eek:
Flitering DC , i guess .
Or could be for flitering nasty artifacts .
Hiatus