First Amp Build! Princeton 5F2-A

Started by p_wats, October 15, 2010, 12:07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

p_wats

Hey guys,

I posted this in the "pix of Custom built guitar amps/cabs", but I'm so excited I wanted to give it it's own home too.

I just finished building my first amp. It's basically a Princeton 5F2-A, but I used mostly recycled parts from old radios that my friend/amp guru had. The PT isn't as powerful as an actual Princeton (only about 280V for B+), but it still sounds great! The OT is from musicalpowersupplies.com and I can't stress how happy I was with Matt's service and patience.

Other than that the mods are minimal: SS rectifier and added a switch to toggle the negative feedback in or out.

The chassis is from an old radio and it's pretty small, so space is tight (and wiring is ugly):

The cab used to be half of a turntable w/speaker combo that I painted (front is all original except for the button I put on to cover a whole where the speaker used to connect to the turntable) and it's loaded with a vintage 8" speaker my friend had (chosen for it's small magnet, so it could all fit nicely in this tight package.

All in all I'm really happy with it. I learned a hell of a lot building this amp (made a lot of mistakes along the way too). It sounds great, is really small and light, and cranks through an extension cab.

Woo!

Paul