News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

Advice On DSP Using PC.

Started by demonstar, October 25, 2010, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

demonstar

I'm interested in having a go at writing real-time audio effects to run on a PC and was wondering if anyone has any advice on a good place to start? Most of the resources I have been able to find have been for standalone DSP chips. I'm aware that very simple volume, pitch or frequency effects on a .WAV audio file (a pre-recorded file) is probably the way to start. If anyone here has any knowledge in this area I'd be very grateful if you could point me in the right direction. I'd preferably like to use a language such as C#.NET, VB.NET, C or C++ if at all possible.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

Taylor

Since this forum is focused on hardware and mainly guitar pedals, it's not quite as bumping with this kind of info.

There's another forum which is quite busy and based on developing computer effects:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=33

demonstar

Thanks! It looks like I should find something to get me started there.
"If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut"  Words of Albert Einstein

slotbot

if you are good with programming you should look into matlab or the free competitor scilab. Its very similar to C++ but with some nice touches to make handling advanced mathematics a bit easier.

Since a WAV file is just a string of literal sample values you can load it as an array in scilab or mat lab (or why nit jsut C++?). There are already lots of function libraries that will make nice spectrum plots etc. Also most standard dsp building blocks are built in too (liek convolve, interpolate, decimate, etc)

peterv999

Your best sollution would be synthmaker. Its a graphical environment and a complete rich set of functions are in this already. A toolbox with guitar applicable effects are also part of it. I've used it a long time and recommend it highly.

Peter

demonstar

'peterv999', I'm not sure whether Synthmaker is what I'm looking for but I will be sure to take a closer look at it; thanks for the suggestion.

'slotbot', I'll take a look at Scilab, but I like your suggestion of loading the sample values into an array in C++. I was looking into how WAV files are structured and I think this may be the way I go.

Thanks.