True low cost DSP hardware

Started by hgamal, October 31, 2010, 04:34:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hgamal

I've got an old Behringer V-AMP guitar multieffects. I've known it can be updated using files available on the net. This need drove me to look for some info. After some search I've got its schematics.:

http://www.electronica-pt.com/index.php/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,34/func,startdown/id,15968/

It is based on DSP-56364 (motorolla) and 80C32. The first one is the DSP operations. The last one is responsible for knobs control and MIDI. As I could understand, the 80C32 uploads the DSP code to the 56364.

After this little home work I started to think: As the firmware is available, and its is some kind easy to disassembly it - the control section (80C32) is  a Intel MCS-51 compatible core, why not to adopt this hardware to achieve an open source DSP software solution.

Look, I am not telling to clone it, as it could be a tedious and difficult task. I am suggesting, just to get some knowledge and use it with own open software, as guitar DSP architecture. If someone is worry about copyright laws, it can be done without disassembly the code, just understanding the schematics.

Although this devices use a lot of components, it do not use any PAL device which could difficult the understand of it.

Is there any other people interested on it?
Haroldo Gamal

alex frias

I'm sure, at least one person, myself 8)
Pagan and happy!

taang

though i have just (as in today) began to delve into digital effects processing, i would love if there was some form of foundation available that would make it easier to start programming the effect

mhelin

Quote from: hgamal on October 31, 2010, 04:34:40 PM
I've got an old Behringer V-AMP guitar multieffects. I've known it can be updated using files available on the net. This need drove me to look for some info. After some search I've got its schematics.:

http://www.electronica-pt.com/index.php/component/option,com_remository/Itemid,34/func,startdown/id,15968/

It is based on DSP-56364 (motorolla) and 80C32. The first one is the DSP operations. The last one is responsible for knobs control and MIDI. As I could understand, the 80C32 uploads the DSP code to the 56364.

After this little home work I started to think: As the firmware is available, and its is some kind easy to disassembly it - the control section (80C32) is  a Intel MCS-51 compatible core, why not to adopt this hardware to achieve an open source DSP software solution.

Look, I am not telling to clone it, as it could be a tedious and difficult task. I am suggesting, just to get some knowledge and use it with own open software, as guitar DSP architecture. If someone is worry about copyright laws, it can be done without disassembly the code, just understanding the schematics.

Although this devices use a lot of components, it do not use any PAL device which could difficult the understand of it.

Is there any other people interested on it?

Those schematics are from V-Amp 2 which is discontinued. Besides DD-600 delay has the same DSP and Atmel AVR16L MCU which is more user friendly, and costs less.

hgamal

Quote from: mhelin on November 30, 2010, 09:41:07 AM
Those schematics are from V-Amp 2 which is discontinued. Besides DD-600 delay has the same DSP and Atmel AVR16L MCU which is more user friendly, and costs less.

I don't believe the V-Amp 3 is really different from V-amp 2. But I don't have the schematics. I know its hardware specs, as I've seen on Behringer site, are the same.

V-amp, as hardware platform is quite more complete. It has MIDI connections and better user interface. Instead to use DD-600 as open platform, I will prefer to use a FV-1 - from spinsemi.com. If we have to explore a unknown boundary, better to be a more profitable one.
Haroldo Gamal