Anyone Use the Open Stomp Coyote-1

Started by markseel, December 26, 2010, 11:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalGuy

It's not news. It looks like it will be able to do several effects in a row. Unfortunately the list of available effects is very poor to say the least. Nothing beats FV-1 so far.
And let's face it  - most people are not going to sit and start writing DSP stuff. Only a few will and I mean worldwide especially on some new language.

markseel

I took a look at the distortion effect sample code.  Basically it's just a limiter so it's not really usable for a decent overdrive  effect.  No code to perform anti-aliasing of the extra noise from non-linear math.  But it seems like it might be useful for delay-based effects.  Anyway, it's nice to see people offering designs and examples for others to look at.  For power and simplicity I still like the Wavefront DSP.  50 MIPS AL3102 with 1K RAM vs. 6 MIPS FV-1 with 32K RAM.  Nice that the FV-1 includes the ADC's and DAC's.  Guess it depends on what you're doing with them though.  Both the AL3101/2 and FV-1 handle the fixed point notation for you.  One AL3101/2 MAC is worth at least four general purpose CPU instructions (multiply, shift, or, add) depending on the fixed-point format.